Amundsen in new Urban

Just picked up my new Urban and getting to grips with what it has to offer. Well chuffed so far but the Sat Nav is a bit quirky, so a couple of questions for you experienced guys out there if I may.

- The Sat Nav has made several very odd decisions one of which would have taken me 3 miles away from what I know to be the right direction.

- The voice announcements sound very indecisive whereby it grunts before stating left or right ie at the next junction turn "grnn" left.

- Likewise after the turn left or right instruction, it often adds a random "and at the second" and then fails to complete the sentence.

- The bluetooth partners the phone OK and enables voice dial but will not upload the stored phone numbers from the phone( Samsung Galaxy S2). This happens even when the phone is "Made Visible"

Are these issues normal quirks or is there a problem with my Amundsen? Would appreciate your advice and comments.

Garry

Hi,

I have the Amundsen + unit in my Yeti Urban.

I have not had any real problems in terms of it navigating 'off route' but mine does the same in terms of the 'grunt' and the odd unfinished incomplete sentences. I am hoping that a software update may help in the future???

I have an iPhone 4s and it syncs fine including phone book integration.

The bluetooth music streaming works well too.

I hope that this helps a little.

Hi Tech-Yeti

As far as I can determine the spec is ..Software 0263, Hardware H36, Nav data version 0038

Thanks SM73 your unit appears to have the same "glitches" as mine.  Will give the phone upload another go.

Cheers all

On the phone front, mine works just great with my old HTC Desire Z (erm, running Cyanogenmod 7.2) and my new HTC One X. When you first pair the phone, there is an Android notification on the phone which asks whether you would like to allow your Bluetooth device to leech your phonebook entries via rSAP. There is a little checkbox which says Always Allow as well if I remember correctly. So, have a look out for that.

Also, in case that doesn't work try Settings, Telephone, Download Phone Book which exists on my Columbus - there may be a similar button on your Amundsen. If not, I think that option lurks somewhere in the Telephone section of the Maxidot as well (hold down a wiper stalk button to get the menu, use the button on the under side of the wiper stalk to 'Select').

HTH

Hi Tech-Yeti

As far as I can determine the spec is ..Software 0263, Hardware H36, Nav data version 0038

Cheers all

Mine has a software version of 0357, and I am running CD V4 UK, but your hardware is up to date.

Comforting thanks Tech-Yeti.

I have sussed the phone numbers upload problem. An acceptance prompt was arriving in the 'notifications' menu of the phone but you have to open this particular menu on the phone to realise and then accept it (cheers Hussein for the nod on this). Other Sat Nav quirks remain though. Thanks for advice peeps

Edited by iceni

• 4 weeks later...

Sat Nav continues to deliver voice instructions in the most unintelligable way without reducing the media volume. Have now returned the car to the dealer to get it checked out. Well, they kept it for the day and told me "they are all like this...its not good is it" and there is nothing wrong. Waste of time, but they did check for software updates and valet the motor. This Amundsen + is the worst Sat Nav I have ever experienced and have written to Skoda UK to tell them so. It spoils an otherwise quality Skoda experience. Come on Skoda, get it sorted!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the standard Amundsen in my Yeti and the latest and greatest Nav in my Beemer. The Yeti works great and has very few minuses compared with the BMW and the Tom Tom I've got. Voice guidance works fine, works great with my iPhone 4s apart from the occasional connection issue fixed by re pairing. In many ways I prefer it to both the BMW and the Tomtom.

You can't expect a sat nav to route as well as a human who knows the roads. Satnavs are there to get you to a destination when you don't know the way.

You've probably got a duff unit, sure you'll be happy when they fix it.

Regards

K

Quick question about this unit. I'm due to pick up my Urban soon (fingers crossed) and have a couple of quick questions:

1. Do the maps come on a CD or SD card?
  2. Are they UK / UK & IE / Europe?
  3. Is it possible to get more maps?
  4. I'm getting a 16GB card to put some music on, will I need to copy the maps onto this card?

Ta

I have the standard Amundsen not the PLUS version

1. CD or copied to an SD card

2. CD1: UK & IRE, CD2: UK & Major roads Europe

3. I have them all, see list @: http://www.bluespot....laupunkt-fx-map

4. The map runs from the CD as normal, Music from SD card. Or copy various maps to SD card to make them seemless, and play music via CD

Edited by Tech-Yeti
  • Like 1

Tee Dee Eye,

Can you please tell me if your Yeti sat nav lowers the media volume (Radio, CD, Aux) so you can hear the direction announcements?

Ta :D

Yes it does, dont forget you also adjust the announcement volume.

Regards

K

Another couple of questions on the Amundsen+ in the Urban (which I'm hoping to get my hands on soon(ish).

1 - I've got a bunch of music on an SD card sorted by Artist - Album - Track. Will this cause me any problems?

2 - When I pick up the car, will the maps be on a CD? If so, will it be possible to copy these to the SD card as I make my first (very long) drive south? How much space does it need? (ok, 3 questions I admit)

Ta

Another couple of questions on the Amundsen+ in the Urban (which I'm hoping to get my hands on soon(ish).

1 - I've got a bunch of music on an SD card sorted by Artist - Album - Track. Will this cause me any problems?

2 - When I pick up the car, will the maps be on a CD? If so, will it be possible to copy these to the SD card as I make my first (very long) drive south? How much space does it need? (ok, 3 questions I admit)

Ta

1. Hoping to try this myself sometime soon (same SD card I used in my FL Octavia / Bolero),

2. There was no CD, or disc of any kind, supplied with my Amundsen+ (Yeti Urban collected last week). The dealer told me the map data was preloaded during PDI.

• Like 1

1. Hoping to try this myself sometime soon (same SD card I used in my FL Octavia / Bolero),

Just wondering how it went with your SD card? I've hopefully got a 200 mile drive back from the dealer on monday and have packed my SD card with appropriate tunes to make the journey a bit less dull.