Just got my recently acquired SE back from a full 'flat and polish'... pics added

I realise this thread is worthless without photo's, but just got the camera out and the battery is flat --- it is charging now! :wall:

I've been a keen home detailer for a while now, but my new SE had some paintwork damage to the bumpers that I needed sorting (I'm fussy and touch up pen just doesn't cut it!!). It was nothing major, just the usual 'previous owner catches wall and scuffs paint'.

Anyway, I've not had a lot of time to work on the car since getting it, so have only had my DAS6 PRO out on a few pannels. The level of correction and defect removal I'd achieved was good but not perfect.

When I took it to my mates bodyshop to get a quote on the paint that needed doing I asked him to look at some of my work and asked for his advice on how to improve on what I'd done. His response was 'wet sanding' and he went and got a block and some paper and worked a small section, then got his rotary out and did two passes with different grade compounds - I couldn't believe the difference, it was fantastic!

Needless to say, wet sanding is definitely a job for a professional and not something I'd be too keen to try. When I asked him how much to do the whole car I nearly fell over when he only said £100! I bit his hand off!! A professional detailer would normally charge around £300 for paint correction without wet sanding.

Anyway, he's just dropped it back to me and the results are fantastic, easily the best £100 I've ever spent on a car!

I'll get some pic's up when the camera is charged - Well Happy :love:

Had my car done with this as well, had mine done after getting some panels sprayed so the whole car looked new and everything blended together well.

I watched it happening and its amazing to see paintword being scratched with wet & dry paper, then polished up to like new!

mine was done with some 2000 grade wet & dry paper with some soap mixed in, then some G3 cutting paste, then a smoother paste, then a polish and then a same colour as the car polish. Like you say, amazing result!

033.jpg

had some time today, so washed and Tardis'd the car, followed by an IPA wipedown and two coats of Wolf's BodyWrap over the freshly polished paint.

Will add a few more pic's in a bit once I get the sprogs to bed :whew:

• Like 1

This looks brilliant! Does it just add a shine or also remove surface scratches? My car is covered in bloody surface scratches after living a London life previously :(

This looks brilliant! Does it just add a shine or also remove surface scratches? My car is covered in bloody surface scratches after living a London life previously :(

It does remove scratches and swirl marks yes, but it depends on how deep the scratch is. If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail then you probably won't remove it completely. Having said that, it will soften the edges of some scratches making then much less visible.

Very nice, are you on detailing world? I am just in the process of doing my own car. Flat back with 2000 wet and dry and meguriers compound then a swirl remover. Gives a real nice black shine like yours! I hate swirls!

Will you be using the two bucket method when washing now after spending that money?

Will you be using the two bucket method when washing now after spending that money?

Not 100% necessary, but a good washmitt and gentle drying towel will help avoid swirls returning. Think I might flat sand the mongrel at some point in the future.

Very nice, are you on detailing world? I am just in the process of doing my own car. Flat back with 2000 wet and dry and meguriers compound then a swirl remover. Gives a real nice black shine like yours! I hate swirls!

Yeh, I'm True-Blue on there.

I've got a grit gard bucket and use a washmit and a plush drying towel. I've got a Kestral DAS6 Pro, various pads and menzerna compounds. I can generally correct a high percentage of defects myself and I'm keen to learn to use a rotary properly as they have a lot more cutting power than a DA.

To be honest, the £100 for the full wet sanding and rotary work was a snip really as it was a full days work. I just looked at what he achieved in 10 mins and thought 'this will take me days to get it to this standard with the DA' - decision made.

Wolf's bodywrap is a great long lasting sealent, but a bit fussy to apply.

GJ plate means the car was originally registered in Maidstone, Kent. The 'G' part = Garden of England (covers Kent and E. Sussex). HTH!

Yes it's from kent and that's where I went to collect it!