Help please !

We have had our brand new Octavia 2l diesel CR 140 PS for nearly a week and are now up to 700 miles. Everything has been fine until this morning when my husband drove it to work - a trip of about 15 miles mainly over A roads maintaining steady 70mph. He parked up and switched the engine off and since the temp gauge was normal was surprised that the fan came on and stayed on for over five minutes for no apparent reason. We previously had a 1.9TDi Octavia from new and never had this with that car. Particularly concerned because we are driving it to the French alps next Friday !

Looked on the forum and saw a similar problem had previously been diagnosed as being in connection with the DPF. Rang the Skoda garage and the mechanic said it was definitely NOT DPF and he had an Octavia which did it as well and it wasn't a problem. Husband isn't happy however and wants to know what's actually causing it if not DPF - specially considering not warm day and engine not stressed on drive in. Might it be to do with more of the engine now being made of aluminium and so getting hotter ? Husband won't be satisfied til he understands what's really happening so any advice would be gratefully received.

It's normal!

When you stopped the car the DPF has been doing it's regen cycle and it's been interrupted. When you turn off the engine the fan is really noticeable (quite loud) and 5 mins is about right for it too turn off, on mine I can normally pick up a smell too of oil when this happens. When mine is in regine the ideal speed can stutter a tiny bit too

The logic is that in order for the car to burn off all the soot and 'crap' it needs a high temperature so when it's interrupted the fan stays on to take the temp down.

Did your last car have a DPF?

Honestly though, my car is now just over 3 months old and has done this maybe 2 or 3 times........no problems with it and car has always performed brilliantly and sorted itself out

Dougall

Thanks so much for such a quick positive and helpful response. Very reassuring ! Our previous Octavia was pre-DPF so no experience of it before. Not sure why garage says it isn't DPF especially with no sight of vehicle because this seems entirely correct and logical explanation.

Glad your car is performing so well - hope ours does the same. We are looking forward to introducing it to the French motorways.

No problem..........according to Skoda a drive where you have managed to stay above 40mph for over 15 minutes is the trigger for the regen (when it's needed) so it actually fits in with your description above really well.

Dougall

Off topic but you an get a telepeage thingy from aprr.fr for about 10 euros for motorway tolls at a discount and you can just drive though .. brilliant

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Thanks very much for the great tip Peter - I have seen French drivers speeding through the telepeage as we queued to pay and didn't realise UK drivers could get them. Have had a look and we have time to get a tag before we go. Will speed things up considerably.

Probably worth noting that some of the 'technicians' and service dept staff at some dealers don't know as much as they should.

As explained above this sounds perfectly normal.

The first time my 2.0L CR diesel Scout did this, I was also pretty paranoid about the cause. A quick search on here set my mind at rest that it was normal. What really unnerved me the first time it did it was the strong burning smell that accompanied the fan running. Apparently that was just some residue burning off as the car was so new. Subsequent DPF regens did not cause the burning smell. My car has done a noticeable regen 4 or 5 times in 21 months and 15,000kms. You notice that the revs at idle are higher than usual, the car holds onto lower gears longer than normal before prompting you to change up and the fan is typically running when you switch the engine off. I've never had the dash warning light come on.

Thanks very much everyone for such helpful responses re query and the great tip re the tag. We haven't had DPF or a CR engine before so really good to be able to get advice from people familiar with them. Husband now much happier !