how much will it cost to repair

How much will it cost to fix an electric window?

Assuming I need it diagnosed, by whatever method a fixer will use? (could it be replace one part one by one until the problem is solved) How much will this cost at a main dealers?

also, how much will it devalue my car if not fixed? if the cost is too much i'll live with an electric window that doesn't work.

Edited by fabia55

Which door is it? Does it work from the controls on the other door (if it's passenger side faulty). Does it do anything at all ( up but not down or other way round). As these will all affect how much of a repair is nessesary

It's the drivers door that doesn't work.

The passenger side works as normal from both switches. I'm worried it will cost too much to fix.

ok, i'll have a look.

do you fix the wire if it's broken?

• 1 year later...

Hi fabia55,

I recently had my Front windows fixed by a dealer, the diagnosis cost £50, turns out the driver side motor was faulty, cost me just over £200 to fix including labour fees :)

Edited by salman

When mine stopped working I suspected these sort of prices and decided to wait for a while. That was my previous 07 model and it was in winter. To my surprise, when the weather warmed and was drier the windows suddenly started working again. They were fine for the couple of months before I sold it. Weird!

There is obviously something going on with Fabia windows and the problem is often discussed on here.

Edit..

I wonder if anyone who's car is garaged has had this problem, i.e. could it be cars standing outdoors getting water into the loom? just a thought based on my own previous problem.

Edited by horkin

HI,

Both of my electric windows have been broken for almost 2 years now. I did get a local garage to try and fix them initially but it was a bit of a farce and they ended up saying it would cost almost £500 to do both.

I rang skoda to complain as I didn't think it was reasonable for both windows to fail after 4 years (along with a few other electrical faults) but they weren't interested.

Go to an Established and local Professional Auto Electrician and ask them for an idea on cost to repair,

They will know their hourly rate, and can tell you how much to just look see what might be the fault, 

but they will need to look see what parts if any are required.

So you need to know there is no fixed price or cost.

But they do these things in day in and day out.

so the Auto Electrician might have seen and repaired properly more of these Broken Electric windows than a Car Dealership Workshop,

due to knowing what they are doing and testing and fault finding and not just ordering up new parts and replacing untill they get things to work.

george

Cost me nothing to repair in the end...The door card was taken off, it was the metal contacts/pins in the switch not making contact..

edit: I took it to the dealers to have a quote, would have cost me their hourly rate (which is not cheap) plus the cost of whatever parts I wanted to replace, They said I would have to pay for the part that I want replacing but they can't tell me which part needs changing..so would have had to change 1 part at a time until the problem was fixed.. I'm glad I didn't go back..

Edited by fabia55

Go to an Established and local Professional Auto Electrician and ask them for an idea on cost to repair,

They will know their hourly rate, and can tell you how much to just look see what might be the fault, 

but they will need to look see what parts if any are required.

So you need to know there is no fixed price or cost.

But they do these things in day in and day out.

so the Auto Electrician might have seen and repaired properly more of these Broken Electric windows than a Car Dealership Workshop,

due to knowing what they are doing and testing and fault finding and not just ordering up new parts and replacing untill they get things to work.

george

The flip side to that is the auto electrician won't have the bulletin that tells you the build date for the motors with a software error in them that can stop the windows from working. All the electrical diagnosis in the world won't sort that one. But by booking it into a dealer the job card is created and the problem is cross referenced with relevant bulletins and passed to the master tech ahead of the vehicle arriving. A quick check of the build date on the motor and diagnosis could be done.

• Like 1

Good stuff, thats hopefully how it happens all over.

Leaves you to wonder how some workshops can make a horrlicks of things.  

How much is the average hourly rate around the country, & why or how do some seem to stretch that out,

do some just maybe milk it when it sounds so straight forward?

Post #12,

£50 for the diagnostic, & £200 for parts, Labour & VAT.

So are we maybe at 40 minutes labour or so on the diagnostic as you say how thing are or should be done.

george

I had good fun with the door lock in mine - particularly when it failed on me in a right in-opportune moment! I won't post about that on here though! The wiring between the door and the car body is weak. I soldered it (two separate attempts to do it successfully) and managed to sort it for the time being. I did pay the Skoda "stealer" (aka dealer) to do it to the tune of £170! Ah well you live and learn. As long it is works :) I can't wait until the electric windows start to fail :thumbdown: