Exhaust options on a KO4 octavia

Hi,

I'm the proud new owner of a 320bhp + KO4 powered Vrs, and very happy I am with it too!

One aspect of the car that I may struggle with over the long term is the exhaust, which sound's great when you want it to but is a bit too loud when you'd prefer things a bit more quiet!

At the moment it's running a pipeworx 3'' down pipe with sports Cat into a Piper Cat back system. Ideally I'd like to retain the pipeworx bit's and just replace the Piper.

So what's going to be my best option for retaining power but reducing the noise under part throttle ?

cheers.

a resonated exhaust will be quieter than a non-res as it has an extra silencer.

i like the sound of the oem exhaust with a decat,it has a nice burble and spool sound at low rpms but you have to have the windows down and be listening for it,at high rpms it is not much different than the standard exhaust.

Have you seen the Jetex exhaust? Im currently waiting to fit one to mine but they sound amazing. slightly louder on idle and cruising then the stock system but comes alive when you give it the beans

Why not put an original back box instead of the piper on the car.

Should be able to get one for small money and I dont think it will influence power that much.

3" TBE on mine too but mine has a decat. Another vote for the Jetex cat back, mine sounds nice and subtle when cruising but gives a nice loud roar on WOT, Pretty much how Banzaiman described it.

I had heard the piper one can be loud but looking at the design it's not surprising.

I've just ordered my Jetex catback 274+ post from C&R Enterprises

I spoke with Al at Awesome yesterday to see if they could beat as most people list it around 360+ and they couldn't as cheaper than there cost price so snap one up quick....!!!

if you want the performance without the noise. Contact BCS and go for a prestige system. My car was used to design the prototype for both systems on the Octavia and they said with the prestige system they added a rear silencer and they couldnt hear the exhaust at all. Yet it still flows the same as the sport 3" tbe I have fitted.

Thanks for all the replies gents,

is the jetex system a 3'' and is it stainless steel?

how much was the BCS custom made exhaust please?

I'd lke 'some' noise, but the Piper system is just a little bit too 'look at me' or 'listen to me!'

I don't want to lose any performance however.

Thanks again.

I paid a lot less than full price for mine as they had my car for a week. I think for the full system its about £1000. i am not sure how much the cat back section is by itself. I have copied a link to my review with photos, so you know it is quality :thumbup:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/229154-octavia-vrs-tfsi-bcs-exhaust/

the BCS system looks very nice indeed, but id be nuts spending that sort of money just to make the car quieter. thanks for the input though.

Think I'll have a look at the Jetex, sounds like it might be a good compromise .

I've had a look at the jetex system, looks good value for a full stainless steel system. Anyone running one with a KO4? am I likely to lose much power, if anything, over the Piper ?

I've just had a quick look under the car and the piper is 3'' all the way through with a single box to the rear, so I guess the Jetex would be noticably quieter ??

Cheers

The Jetex is a full 3" stainless. I've got to admit I love it! I don't like noisy zhausts or intakes but this zhaust is perfect for stealth, but when you want to be noticed it works a treat :devil:

Have you seen my thread with pics?

The Jetex is a full 3" stainless. I've got to admit I love it! I don't like noisy zhausts or intakes but this zhaust is perfect for stealth, but when you want to be noticed it works a treat :devil:

Have you seen my thread with pics?

Thanks for that, no I haven't I'll have a search now :thumbup:

You're talking 1/2" larger in diameter iirc. I doubt you'd lose anything, you might even gain, besides its the DP where the gains are made.

I'm not sure how your DP is joined to your cat back so it might be worth looking into that. Mine is joined via a 3" connecting pipe which I bought from power flow on EBay. So my exhaust is actually 3" all the way through.

You're talking 1/2" larger in diameter iirc. I doubt you'd lose anything, you might even gain, besides its the DP where the gains are made.

I'm not sure how your DP is joined to your cat back so it might be worth looking into that. Mine is joined via a 3" connecting pipe which I bought from power flow on EBay. So my exhaust is actually 3" all the way through.

I thought the system on the car was already 3'', but I might be wrong - I'll search back through Dave's build posts to see if I can find the details. I'm fairly sure the down pipe is a pipewerx 3'' with 200 cel sports cat.

You could always refit the OE cat back exhaust. The power is made from the downpipe and you dont benefit from the full system. I chose the full system purely for a bit of sporty noise. My BCS system is not chavvy loud but gives a nice pure exhaust tone that sounds like it should come from a more expensive super car! :devil: Plus its not too loud on normal driving and motorway driving. No boom like some systems can give :thumbdown:

If you dont want the noise then why not refit an OE system. Some who had the cat back and didnt like the noise refitted their OE cat back and didnt lose any power or performance. JannerSy was one such person who did just that.

I thought the system on the car was already 3'', but I might be wrong - I'll search back through Dave's build posts to see if I can find the details. I'm fairly sure the down pipe is a pipewerx 3'' with 200 cel sports cat.

The thing is the pipewerx DP will come with a reduction connecting pipe to take it down to stock cat back, I'm not sure what Dave did about this.

That is what I tried to explain. (not always as easy in another language).

The powergain comes from the pre cat delete and bigger downpipe. I dont think you will loose

much (if at all) when you go back to the original (OE) exhaust system, at least the cat back part.

And mostly those systems are sold for near nothing, so an easy and cheap way to get the car quieter.

The thing is the pipewerx DP will come with a reduction connecting pipe to take it down to stock cat back, I'm not sure what Dave did about this.

I've got a stainless steel reducer pipe in the box of bit's I got with the car, I think this was something to do with the pipewerx DP.

Will a standard system really do nothing to reduce the power or torque???