For Those Wanting EGR Delete-Would this work?

Lofty79

If your car has an ecu that wont allow you to delete your egr valve, Would this actually work:

I had an idea, if you leave the egr valve as is, and remove the egr pipe and blank off as you would at the manifold, Then get the end that was attached to the egr and cut end off and reattach it to egr valve. On the end of this place a breather filter - the likes of which you find in an induction kit for breathers when air box is gone.

This would leave the egr valve doing its thing, but it would be drawing on only clean, filtered air. ECU still thinks its all as it should be and the negatives of carbon and muck irradicated.

This is only an idea, i just thought if i got some feedback it may just work, saving someone some cash and adding a little bhp.

Let me know if you think itll work

Edited by Lofty79

If your car has an ecu that wont allow you to delete your egr valve, Would this actually work:

I had an idea, if you leave the egr valve as is, and remove the egr pipe and blank off as you would at the manifold, Then get the end that was attached to the egr and cut end off and reattach it to egr valve. On the end of this place a breather filter - the likes of which you find in an induction kit for breathers when air box is gone.

This would leave the egr valve doing its thing, but it would be drawing on only clean, filtered air. ECU still thinks its all as it should be and the negatives of carbon and muck irradicated.

This is only an idea, i just thought if i got some feedback it may just work, saving someone some cash and adding a little bhp.

hi i work for one of the main brake down firms clue orange vans ,we have blanking plates for vauxhall egr valves so we can just blank them off however this may put light on dash but it works

Well that's great, but others with more modern engines have more particular computers and I wonderred if this would actually work without needi.g to map out the egr.

Has it made a dif to the car? I see your mpg is still crap.

Yeah I think I got lucky with no warning lights. Or I've disconnected the wrong pipe. :giggle:

She averaged 52 on the last trip to Midlands doing 75-80 the whole way. Went much further down after I got the 'been driving for 7 hours' red mist and buggered off chasing hot hatches...

If I still had a normal EGR and wanted to maintain stock look, I would just disconnect the pipe at the exhaust manifold end and stick in two slivers of drinks can, with holes cut so the pipe could still bolt down. bit of exhaust paste to keep it sealed, and job's a good'un.

Ah yes but that would stop flow. If the flow stops on newer models the ecu knows because too much air passes the Maf sensor and throws up the eml. This is the issue I'm trying to think how to sidestep. A filter on egr valve allows the flow and keeps the ecu happy. If ya know what I mean

Edited by Lofty79

That aint too bad vlad. yours is an early pd so largely they don't mind too much. Chasing hot hatches in a tepid estate will kill the mpg. My cuz got 38mpg on way home in his 4x4 by the way, went like a dream.

• Like 1

On the BMW based Freelander Td4 engine you just pull the pipe off the EGR valve, leaving the EGR valve "open" and plug the rubber pipe. Worked fine on mine that way for years.

Under boost you'll be blowing air out of the manifold, out of that breather and out of the engine. The ECU will then read even higher air-flow.

The solution is to map out the EGR in the ECU. In my work car (not a skoda) I disconnected and blanked the EGR early on (massive amounts of crud in the intake) and no error codes. But performance at low rpm was hampered until I mapped out the EGR flow correction in the ECU.

Ah now this is the info i was after. Manifold puts out pressure so feeds into egr, meaning my method wouldn't work. glad someone saw what i was tryi.g to do. I have the pipe pulled on my egr and its fine, but for example my uncle has 2.0 pd and has electronic egr and cooler- not vac and any unplugging wouldnt work. So this method would also cause running issues so mapping is only solution. Thats my answer

On the BMW based Freelander Td4 engine you just pull the pipe off the EGR valve, leaving the EGR valve "open" and plug the rubber pipe. Worked fine on mine that way for years.

Doesn't work on the later EU4 engines though. :( You can unplug it, but you get a CEL come on.