Considering a 1.4 SE

neilwilliams

I've had a few Fabia's in the past and after some time away from Skoda I'm considering a Yeti as my next car. My mileage has dropped a lot and there's a number of short journeys so I want to avoid the diesel models due to the DPF. I was looking at the 1.4 as it has enough speed for me and reasonable economy but having spoken to two dealers who between their groups have five branches, I can't get a test drive in a 1.4. The best that was suggested was a drive in a 1.2 followed by a go in a 1.4 Octavia.

I've had a look in the forum and seen the spreadsheet for delivery times and didn't see a 1.4 listed, while the survey of owners slightly further down the first page suggested only a few have the 1.4.

It's got me wondering if there's something I need to know about the engine or whether it's just unpopular so the dealers don't have a demonstrator to help manage costs?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Nothing wrong with the 1.4TSI, I think it's just many find the 1.2TSI more than capable for there needs and therefore have decided to save that £800 extra cost of upgrading to the bigger engine.

Possible worth considering that the better equipped 1.2TSI SE+ is a fraction cheaper than an SE 1.4TSI.

Anyway I would give the 1.2 a go, although if a 1.4 is for you then this might be of interest;

http://www.skoda.net...px?id=602524221#

TP

I test drove a 110 bhp diesel and a 1.2 TSi, no-one locally had a 1.4 as a demonstrator. Petrol suits my low mileage and short journey pattern. In the end I plumped for a 1.4 TSi Manual and have been very pleased with it, so don't be steered away from it by the dealers - its your choice. As this has the same weight and gearing as the 1.2, the main difference is being able to stay in 6th gear even on considerable upward slopes, rather than having to drop back to 5th. The 14% more torque is noticeable particularly at higher speeds and when laden, and gives better overtaking acceleration. The downside is fuel consumption which is probably 5 to 10% worse than a 1.2, i.e. £50 to £100 a year extra in my case, which I'm quite happy to pay. I haven't driven a 1.2 DSG, but suspect that its readiness to change down (which a manual gearbox driver wouldn't always bother to) would help to mask the small engine.

• Like 1

I haven't driven a 1.2 DSG, but suspect that its readiness to change down (which a manual gearbox driver wouldn't always bother to) would help to mask the small engine.

I'm sure you're right on this point. I have the 1.2 DSG and, as you say, it's readiness to change (seamlessly and barely noticably) does mask any possible lack of ability to stay in top. I've never felt the desire to up to a 1.4. Probably mainly because there's no DSG 1.4 and the 1.2 is quick enough for me. If I was going to upgrade I suppose it would be a DSG 4x4 diesel...but, for me, there wouldn't be any justifiable cause to upgrade.

Thanks for the information guys, it's much appreciated. One of my reasons for ignoring the 1.2 was a hill I have to accelerate up on a regular basis (Baldock bypass from A1(M) to Royston, just heading towards the tunnel). I have a Polo 1.4 (85PS) at the moment and it struggles with the hill, although the five speed box with stretched ratios is more likely to be the issue than the engine. The 1.2 is slower to 62 but will have more torque and better ratios due to the six speed box. My mileage over the last 12 months has only been 6000 so the extra fuel cost isn't too much of a worry.

Having driven both the 1.4 and 1.2 I found the 1.2 a little under powered for a manual box, to much gear changing, but fine with the DSG but as I prefer a manual box I went for the 1.4 has loads of pulling power so you're not changing gear all the time. Really pleased with my Yeti.

• Like 1

I've arranged a test drive in a 1.2 and will throw it at the Baldock bypass in both directions on Friday. We'll see how that goes and then I'll decide whether to travel further in order to drive a 1.4 yeti or just try the engine in a different model.

Thanks for the comments - I know I've been away from Briskoda for a few years but it's great to see the community spirit is still here. :thumbup:

I drove both the 1.2 (manual and DSG) and 1.4 TSI when deciding which to go for. Much to my surprise, the 1.2 manual felt livelier than the 1.4, though of course this is a subjective view. In the end, I settled on the 1.2 DSG.

I bought the 1.2 SE a couple of months ago and have found it more than adequate for performance. It should get even better once it's run in but I have been very pleased with the car all round so far. I did think about the 1.4 but they are very difficult to find for a test drive and the extra cost of the 1.4 would have blown my budget.

Are you by any chance going to the dealers in Letchworth? They failed on two occasions to come up with a 1.2 to test drive so best of luck if it is that dealer. Before taking the plunge it's definitely worth ringing around for prices. You may consider going to a dealer in East London too far to go but I can't recommend Preston Motors too highly for price and a straight talking salesman (Lee Harrison). No connection etc.

Just back from my test drive. It was in Letchworth and they managed to come up with a factory fresh 1.2 S. When I say factory fresh I mean just that - the protective film was still on the bonnect and roof, while the plastic was on the front seat when it was brought round! I took it up the hill I was concerned about and it didn't miss a beat.

I had a chance to try the 1.4 engine in a Golf about an hour earlier (also a factory fresh car!) and that engine really pulled on the hill. I think I'd pick a 1.4 just for the extra torque but the 1.2 was a revelation.

I'll certainly be shopping around before I make a final decision. Letchworth and Cambridge will certainly get a visit (Cambridge mainly because my existing car is a Polo and they are part of the group with VW dealerships which might help the part exchange value).

I can say Progress in Letchworth were polite and helpful, despite me turning up almost an hour early as the Golf drive finished earlier than I'd expected and the dealerships were only a minute apart from each other. One of the few sticking points would be the lack of MDI on the stereo but they have a solution for that which helps. I've seen the guide on here but it's not the sort of thing I can do easily.

I'll certainly be shopping around before I make a final decision. Letchworth and Cambridge will certainly get a visit (Cambridge mainly because my existing car is a Polo and they are part of the group with VW dealerships which might help the part exchange value).

Hmmm, Cambridge is Vindis and not a good local reputation. Certainly, I wasn't impressed when looking for a Yeti - really not that helpful, nor good on price or payment terms (sorry I'm not going to pay over the full balance 2-3 days before I can inspect and approve the vehicle I'm buying).

If you're prepared to go to Cambridge then go a few miles further up the A10 to ALS Lock in Little Downham by Ely - a much more helpful and personal car-buying service. See if Jonathan is there.

I plan on buying my next car from Progress Letchworth as they have been superb on the servicing side of things and are always professional and polite. David really knows the products he sells too, which is always nice! ;-)