16" Wheels: Is there a 'Next Step'?

Brijo

Interesting comment by Yetni (40) regarding covering the lower door panels with 3m Film to avoid paint-chips.Was thinking of doing this myself, in light of recent posts regarding paint blistering.

Sorry for going off-topic

Tony

What is slightly odd is all cars are described on build sheet. The order arrives and the computer ensures the components arrive at the correct assembly station in the right order. There is no longer any need for a standard spec or differentiated trim levels, all customer orders are one offs, within the confines of what is in stock and will fit for technical reasons. There is no technical or economic reason not to allow your selected specification, you just pay the cost of choices.

The reason SUK won't allow this is to preserve model differentiation, plus the considerable group of people for whom the appearance is more importance than the function. Vehicles as status enhancing bling, with no care or comprehension of the consequences of their choices.

One vehicle I looked at, you could only have cruise (a big need for me) if you ordered the very top spec, about £3000 extra, and it was not retro-fittable. I walked away from that.

• Like 2

Ok I'm ready to be shot down, but yesterday I was out with my Brother In Law using his Yeti SE on 16" wheels and after covering over 120 miles and then stepping back into my 17" Elegance I can honestly say I did not notice any difference in the ride or quality feel of the cars regardless of wheel size. I did notice that my 3 month old model was certainly a lot quieer on the road, wheel noise into the cabin, and mine seemed to hold the road on bends in a far superior way. As for looks the 17's are much better. Perhaps there has been suspension tweaks, improvements over the 18 months of the cars ages and perhaps the wheel size is no longer an issue

Ok I'm ready to be shot down, but yesterday I was out with my Brother In Law using his Yeti SE on 16" wheels and after covering over 120 miles and then stepping back into my 17" Elegance I can honestly say I did not notice any difference in the ride or quality feel of the cars regardless of wheel size. I did notice that my 3 month old model was certainly a lot quieer on the road, wheel noise into the cabin, and mine seemed to hold the road on bends in a far superior way. As for looks the 17's are much better. Perhaps there has been suspension tweaks, improvements over the 18 months of the cars ages and perhaps the wheel size is no longer an issue

You obviously like stirring up hornet's nests! :giggle: Although I am one who agrees with your thoughts :happy:

Only driven the Yeti on 17" wheels, and I don't have a problem with the ride quality. The Tiguan we had whilst Dewi was in the body shop had 16" wheels and whilst I noticed the ride was slightly more compliant i also noticed it wasn't as "tight" and didn't inspire as much confidence.

The only reason I would have 16" wheels is the far greater choice of tyres, especially in the All Terrain catagory.

Looks don't bother me!

Its funny though, there is somebody in an office in 'Skoda World' who made a decision to make 17" tyres standard on the UK version of the Yeti. There really must be a logic behind the decision he/she made. I would love to know what that logic was. Maybe its about the amount of 'pot-holes' you have on the roads in the UK and 17" tyres give a better ride quality. Or maybe they just had a big pile of tyres that they needed to get rid of. Will we ever know ?

May I bring the meeting to order, guys?s

..........................................||..............................................

Perhaps more importantly at this stage, are there any members or even lurkers who would be considering ordering a 16" wheel option if it was easier to arrange?

FWIW, I would have selected a 16" option on my 1.2 SE order had it been available but the lack of availability didn't stop me ordering the car.

(As an aside, we're certainly not the only EU country without the options. I haven't the time or inclination to check more than one example - I checked France & there you get 16" on Ambition & 17" on Elegance, no option to swap to the other size. Given that each model variation has to be emissions tested & that these tests have to be carried out at varying options/weights, I for one think it's reasonable to restrict tyre choice :bandit: . Of course, not all members of the EU club follow the rule book as closely as the UK, but that's a whole other argument discussion)

At this point, the OP throws up his hands in surrender. And if you don't know why, you might care to read #1, second paragraph :S .

Carry on, chaps! :hi:

Yes I agree time to put this to bed for once and all. I do not think we will ever settle the matter of who things what is the better, and personally I cannot see the point in going down the route of pursuing at change at Skoda to the 16" wheels

Thank you, Jon, for your straight opinion :whew::hi:

I agree, 17" for those who appreciate a cool looking car with more than acceptable ride quality and 16" for those that are happy with an inch less ;) (case closed?)

I agree, 17" for those who appreciate a cool looking car with more than acceptable ride quality and 16" for those that are happy with an inch less ;) (case closed?)

but 7.6mm greater diameter overall :giggle:

coat or bobs corner and sadly without beer :wonder:

TP

Oh P.S. if I'd wanted a quattro sports car I'd have a TT (where the daft 17" 225/50 size originated from, strait out of the vag parts bin :doh: )

but 7.6mm greater diameter overall :giggle:

coat or bobs corner and sadly without beer :wonder:

TP

Oh P.S. if I'd wanted a quattro sports car I'd have a TT (where the daft 17" 225/50 size originated from, strait out of the vag parts bin :doh: )

Woooohoooo!!, that's even more coolerer, same as a TT B) As has been discussed on numerous occasions most owners are happy with the choice they have made and agree to disagree :)

• Like 1

....As has been discussed on numerous occasions most owners are happy with the choice they have made and agree to disagree :)

Exactly :happy: . And that's how it should be.

I hope there is now enough info on the forum about the 16/17 discussion to for anyone interested to understand the relative pro's and con's for each. Ultimately, it comes down to a personal decision based on others' reported experience, knowledge of one's own territory and driving style, and (with luck) comparative road tests. And anyone who then still wants to go the 16" ex-works route knows what they face from their dealer and SUK!

Had an owner of a motorsport prepared TT crawling under my Yeti recently, looking at the rear suspension set up & he was delighted to see that the spring & damper pick up points on the Yeti have changed from those on the original TT to "a much more efficient design just like on my competition car".

Sounds good to me, whatever he was on about! :giggle:

Edited by speedsport