Streaming audio via Iphone 3GS

Hi guys

My iphone 3GS works well with the handsfree and I can access the phonebook and so on. I can't for the life of me figure out how to stream music. I've ticked the box in the set up to enable bluetooth media but I don't get the bluetooth option coming up on the menu alongside SD, HDD etc.

Is there anything I should be doing either on the phone or the car to get this to work?

Not that there isn't enough space to load most of the music up to but I have a lot of plaliusts that are a mix of types of file and if I can get this working it would be easier than converting them all!

Cheers

I have the iPhone 3GS. When my phone is connect via Bluetooth to the car, I turn on the Columbus unit, go to Media and then Aux - the audio from my iPhone then comes out of the car speakers. It's great for listening to audiobooks on long journeys. When I then make or receive a phone call, the audio cuts off and will start from where it left off automatically once the call has ended. A great system, I've never had any issues with it.

Hi guys

My iphone 3GS works well with the handsfree and I can access the phonebook and so on. I can't for the life of me figure out how to stream music. I've ticked the box in the set up to enable bluetooth media but I don't get the bluetooth option coming up on the menu alongside SD, HDD etc.

Is there anything I should be doing either on the phone or the car to get this to work?

Not that there isn't enough space to load most of the music up to but I have a lot of plaliusts that are a mix of types of file and if I can get this working it would be easier than converting them all!

Cheers

This had me stumped for a while aswell when I first got the car.

You have to set-up music streaming over Bluetooth as an additional item. So on your MFD (not the Columbus) go to Phone>Bluetooth>Media Player.

If I remember correctly, then perform a Search in the Media player menu and pair. Basically it's a repeat of when you first paired your phone, but under the Media player menu rather than the User menu (all within Bluetooth settings).

You'll then get an iPod icon appear on your MFD alongside the Phone icon. Music streaming should then work once you've hit the blue button on your iPhone, and then selected Media on the Columbus and then hit Bluetooth on the car's touchscreen.

The set-up process is described in the owner's manual (not the Columbus manual) under the heading 'Music playback via Bluetooth' under the 'Communication' sub-heading of 'Using the System'.

Edited by Jules Tohpipi

This had me stumped for a while aswell when I first got the car.

You have to set-up music streaming over Bluetooth as an additional item. So on your MFD (not the Columbus) go to Phone>Bluetooth>Media Player.

If I remember correctly, then perform a Search in the Media player menu and pair. Basically it's a repeat of when you first paired your phone, but under the Media player menu rather than the User menu (all within Bluetooth settings).

You'll then get an iPod icon appear on your MFD alongside the Phone icon. Music streaming should then work once you've hit the blue button on your iPhone, and then selected Media on the Columbus and then hit Bluetooth on the car's touchscreen.

The set-up process is described in the owner's manual (not the Columbus manual) under the heading 'Music playback via Bluetooth' under the 'Communication' sub-heading of 'Using the System'.

I would like to add one further point.

Having done all of the above, before you can use BT audio, you need to start the music playing on your Iphone first. If you don't, the Blutooth option on the Media page will be greyed out. That button is only available when it detects a BT audio signal.

• 9 months later...

iPhone 4 which works perfectly for phone calls/ phone directory etc but when I use BT media and play music on iPhone it is only transferred on one channel - right hand side of car. Not sure if this is just the RH channel or both channels mixed into one and sent to RH channel in car. Car HD music/radio is of course stereo out and both sides. ANy ideas anyone please?

• 1 year later...

iPhone 4 which works perfectly for phone calls/ phone directory etc but when I use BT media and play music on iPhone it is only transferred on one channel - right hand side of car. Not sure if this is just the RH channel or both channels mixed into one and sent to RH channel in car. Car HD music/radio is of course stereo out and both sides. ANy ideas anyone please?

I have just got Bluetooth streaming working on my 09 Superb (I retro fitted the upgraded Bluetooth module) and all works fine except I get the same problem as Caravan_Man where the music only come out of the RH speaker when streaming music. Other than that it works great. Is there something I need to do with VCDS?

It's only mono wired :( you have to wire from bluetooth pin to rear of stereo pin with shielded cable. Quite easy when you know how. I used shielded cat5 network cable and some fibre glass rods to go under carpet. Works great now full stereo :)

Don't get me wrong, took some work. Needed newer BT module which I managed to get for a cheap £45, new wiring from module to stereo as sound was in mono which cost another £5 in repair wires and some spare shielded cable I had then it wouldn't always pick up my iPhone 6 so upgraded the columbus firmware and it now works perfect all of the time.

• 3 years later...

All,

I have 2 cables properly terminated to go from the columbus to the BT module.

The question is do I need to disconnect the big  columbus connector on the back of the unit to fitt the wires or can I just press them in.

Also do I need to disconnect the battery or will just removing the ignition key suffice ?

Thanks 

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2012 at 16:14, marko123 said:

the newest ios versions also now display track info when streaming via bluetooth although song times can be a bit hit and miss.

I cant believe such a basic feature was not available all the time, or that you have to go through these hoops just to stream via Bluetooth..Why do apple devotees defend them so much?

• Like 1