Swing Radio

bill7437

Beat (Depending code - serial number), Swing (Depending code - serial number)---> Delphi

Swing (Depending code - serial number), Bolero --> Blaupunkt.

BluesA5, Blues A05, Dance, Melody, Symphony (both types), Beat (depend on code - serial number) ---> Technisat

Colombus (Depending Code - serial number) ---> Continental (yep the same as tires)

Colombus (Depending Code - serial number) ---> Siemens VDO

They are all great manufacturers. Hope that helps you.

• 1 year later...

Beat (Depending code - serial number), Swing (Depending code - serial number)---> Delphi

Swing (Depending code - serial number), Bolero --> Blaupunkt.

[...]

They are all great manufacturers. Hope that helps you.

How to find out which serial numbers correspond to what manufacturer?

And what does your "great" mean w.r.t. sound quality (supposing one would hook up the system to a set of good living room speakers)?

As far as I can recall you need to remove your head unit and write down the unit's code, then give it a search on manufacturer's page or google it. I don't think there is another way to find out, and dealers are many times cannot answer that question.

By the word "great" I do not mean the sound quality but that the manufacturer has a high reputation and very good quality in parts, assembly, very low percentage of faults etc. 

Sound quality on the other hand is subjective and depends on each one's personal ear and many other factors. For example in my previous Octavia I had a Blaupunkt source that was producing a very deep and bass sound. I do not like deep sound. So I replaced her. My father in law loves her. Very subjective.

Finally as about hooking the source to room speakers, I have no Idea if this is possible, even if something tells me that it can be done.

@stratosg: using quality parts and assembly usually go together with good sound quality ... although indeed whether one likes it or not is a very individual question. As an example, I've never been able to like the sound from the Yamaha or Denon amps I tried, though I can hear they qualify as good or even audiophile. I'm not even sure I'd claim that for the Swing, though ... but of course I have no way for now to be sure that's due to the electronics or to the speakers. Even if I'm getting more and more convinced that I don't like the tweeters. And I rather agree with Steve's assessment ... but adding "tinny" to the list.

Hooking the HU up to room speakers should of course be possible ... though it might be complicated if the unit has dedicated outputs for the various speakers, with a separation filter tuned to their rendering range (one has to hope such filters are present either in the HU or "in" the speakers!!)

Where can I find out more about the OEM speakers? I found a Focal speaker kit (tweeter + mid/low driver) for a reasonable price I might be willing to invest ... if I can be sure they're compatible and reasonably sure enough they'd improve sound.

Dear RJVB, asking for info on OEM parts of Skoda cars is just like looking for a flea in a haystack. I am really afraid that most of the times you have to remove the item, write down its code - serial number - part number and then try a thorough search using google, trying to match the occuring info in many car parts sites.

E.g. When I changed the source in my previous Octavia from Blaupunkt to Pioneer the difference was like comparing night to day without changing speakers. Then some buzzing sound came from passenger's door. When I removed the speaker's cover and later the speaker in order to stop that bbzz bbzz bbbzzz sound I found out that speakers were made from Blaupunkt.

Well as about the swing take a look here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/158898-diy-swing-radio-take-out-pictures-what-we-can-do-more, maybe it can help you.

Great ...  :think:

Apparently there isn't much to gain from knowing the make of my Swing, and anyway I'm more interested in knowing the make of the speakers. Is there a post showing how to access them?

Also, is there a list somewhere of compatible source units that allow to preserve the Swing's various display functions (and the Aux port under the armrest, while we're at it)?

Great ...  :think:

Apparently there isn't much to gain from knowing the make of my Swing, and anyway I'm more interested in knowing the make of the speakers. Is there a post showing how to access them?

Also, is there a list somewhere of compatible source units that allow to preserve the Swing's various display functions (and the Aux port under the armrest, while we're at it)?

Well, as you probably know, our car is the same as Fabia MKII up the B pillar, so there are more possibilities for finding more info by searching and asking at the FABIA II Section of the forum. But there are a few thinks to start from.

Here is a great writing about the OEM wiring loom colours & pins for stereos by Fabdavrav. Also you can read how to remove door trim (door card, door panel) over here.

As about the compatibility, it's sure that you can install a higher spec's head unit such as Columbus or Amudsen. You can find them in real attractive prices by other members that replaced them or from a scrap yard. For non OEM ones, there are many from high reputation manufacturers and also  there are many from Chinese makers and you can find them in the bay of e or other Chinese online shops.

Please if you remove your door panels and your speakers let us know the part number and / or the manufacturer.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the media part (or at least the amplifier) of the Amundsen is basically identical to the Swing, and in any case I'm not planning to shell out to a head unit containing (yet another) GPS ...

I'm a bit disappointed one apparently has to remove so much just to get at the speakers ... that kind of work will have to wait till summer!

I'm a bit disappointed one apparently has to remove so much just to get at the speakers ... that kind of work will have to wait till summer!

Oh! You are absolutely right. This is frustrating. You also need to remove the whole door panel in order to replace the door mirror, while in MK1 Octavia you was able to remove the twitter and unscrew the mirror, or just pull out the speaker's cover, or to remove the boot's carpet in order to change a light bulb in rear cluster instead of the rear light cluter itself and then some screws and then the bulb.

Skoda... Simply headache!!!

• Like 1

Somehow it shocks me less to have to remove the panel in order to replace a rearview mirror than to access something that depends so much on individual taste like the speakers.

As to changing bulbs ... ever tried to do that on a recent Renault or Citroën? I in fact prefer the method where you take out the light unit and then continue under optimal conditions for handling the new bulbs (even if you have to do it at the roadside in subzero temperatures).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add a bit to the conversation, most audio experts say there is a certain sound improvement just by installing a real crossover into the original audio system. Actually, in basic VAG group audio systems there is no crossover splitting high and bass:

http://www.seat-altea.it/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1358&sid=3197658877fb2f4d8ee52ff14589eaf7

(Sorry I only found Italian sources, I am sure you will find something useful in English  :hi:  )