Warning lights on

calmac

Twice in the last fortnight warning lights have come on and then gone off before I could get to a dealer. Both times when approaching a junction the engine has gone into limp mode, I have struggled to get revs enough to get out of potentially dangerous situations.

The first time the epc light came on, I got to a car park turned off and then back on again. Light went off engine back to normal.

Second time two lights came on.....Control system for exhaust and EPC. Limped home turned off, no change when I turned on again

After a few goes Control light went out and then eventually EPC light went out and engine is back to normal.I'm a bit reticent about driving it at the moment, particularly in traffic in case I lose power again. I phoned the dealer who said that the diagnostic computer would not be able to identify the problem unless it was current. So I have to wait until the problem happens again and then either drive in limp mode on major roads to the dealer or get Skoda Assist to take me there. I am not happy and am losing some confidence in the beast.

Would the computer not have some history of what had occurred??

Skoda Yeti 1.2 tsi petrol registered June 2010 23000 miles. Variable service, serviced once in Dec 2011.

I had an intermittent fault with my Roomster. The low coolant light would come on but if the car was restarted the light went out. I took it to the dealer and he read the fault codes log and diagnosed a faulty water pump. Replaced and never reoccured.

I would imagine that ALL VAG cars have the same log.

Fred

Sorry for delay....I wrote a response before signing in and then lost it while trying to post. I have as much luck with computers as I do with cars.

Got the monster back Monday evening with the turbo shim modification completed and they think this will sort it. They seemed to be unhappy that RAC acting for Skoda assist cleared the fault from the system menu. If the fault happens again it is suggested I get to the dealer with the fault lights still showing. I pointed out the practicalities of that...25mph in "limp" mode on the A19/ A66 to the middlesbrough dealer would not be safe.

This modification has not been subject to a general recall as the feeling is it is not a safety issue. I did argue to the dealer that a sudden loss of power at a roundabout or junction can be unsafe as I found out three times last week.

What is the general feeling here??

Edited by calmac

Sudden loss of power in those circumstances is always dangerous. I remember when the mass airflow sensor went in a previous TDI: it was at its most dangerous at roundabouts, because getting into motion took so long. Once it was going, it was just sluggish, so not too bad, but getting going.... ouch.

• 8 months later...

Further to this we entered the dreaded limp mode in early January as reported elsewhere.., coil etc .. sorted by RAC. May 9th oil warning light showing, no probs, got a litre of oil in the boot. I've always found bonnet release stiff but this time afer pulling release in car could not work catch under bonnet. ****ing rain so after 10 mins had to call Skoda Assist yet again.RAC man also struggled for10 mins or so before he could open bonnet.

Ok so I should be more careful about checking oil but it seemed to go down v quickly...RAC man said it should not have used a litre since last service and I am sure it was ok last time I looked about six weeks ago.

I have absolutely no idea what goes on under the bonnet of a car and so have to rely on the integrity of mechanics. I get more peace of mind by changing when warranty runs out. I am going to have to this time and I hope my Qashqai is more reliable.