From "boy racer" to "family man", humour me...

MST

The Skoda ones?

Yeah. Skoda ones that fit the hole of the rear door windows. They are held in place with some small clips. Easy to remove if needed.

I also have the retractable blind for the rear window but dont need to use that as much.

You can see a couple of pictures here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/209415-stage-3-mk2-octavia-vrs/page__hl__+stage%20+vrs#entry2693395

I suppose it depends if you had 2 toddles requiring 2 buggies that would eat up a good bit of space before all the stuff you would take for a holiday.

To be fair by the time they're toddlers you probably want to ditch the big buggy and get a lightweight stroller, like we just have.

Our pram/buggy/travel system however, took up a good crack of the boot. You could still get plenty in there but you wouldn't have got two of them.

That said most cars have a smaller boot than the Octy and many by a substantial amount, and people manage with those - I'd agree that to call the boot 'small' or suggest it wasn't big enough for the average family would be a bit silly....

Having just returned for a week away on holiday (in The UK) I can honestly say that we would not have got everything we needed (just one push chair) in the boot safely. I think the key work is safe here. If you have a smash at 70mph the shoes, books, wash bags etc you cram around the kids feet could well kill you the speed they will fly around the car. I personally think its naive to think its 'ok' to travel like this. I will only travel if everything other than jumpers and a couple of soft toys to keep the kids happy are in the boot and the cover is shut. To me its just a no brainer and commonsense.

I moved to a bigger estate, yes the Octavia has the biggest boot of the mid sized family cars but its not a patch on the large family cars boots that are about at the moment in terms of size. Its main shortfall I found when compared with my current car and other cwrs I looked at before I purchased this one, is the width of the boot. This is just my findings an opinion of course. I must say that my Octavia served me proud with just one child though.

What are you comparing the boot to, in terms of 'large family cars'?

I've found you have to goto a 5-Series Touring or E-Class estate to equal the load capacity. The saloon counterparts obviously aren't as flexible.

All depends on how, and what, you pack to go away of course! I had four adults and an 18-month old in mine earlier in the year for a week away and the boot was full, yes - but I can't think of what else apart from the two mentioned would have managed it!

You definitely can't beat the boot in the octavia, we (2 adults 2 kids 6 and 8 and a 9month old baby) went to Skegness for a week last year.

Managed to get every single thing in the boot with parcel shelf still in place no bother.

Also a few weeks ago I moved a steel frame bunk bed and both mattress in it no probs :-)

What are you comparing the boot to, in terms of 'large family cars'?

I've found you have to goto a 5-Series Touring or E-Class estate to equal the load capacity. The saloon counterparts obviously aren't as flexible.

All depends on how, and what, you pack to go away of course! I had four adults and an 18-month old in mine earlier in the year for a week away and the boot was full, yes - but I can't think of what else apart from the two mentioned would have managed it!

Ford Mondeo (cavernous), Peugeot 508 SW,Mazda 6, Toyota Avensis, Hyundai i40. I would class (like the well known motoring magazine WhatCar) as Large family cars. The BMW and Merc I know nothing about, I have never had one or had enough money to warrant looking at one, I imagine that they are huge. I can however speak from experience of owning an Octavia estate for 2 years, test driving all the above cars, most on a 24 hour test drive, the Hyundai on a 2 week test and of course the Peugeot for that last 15 weeks. They are bigger (im not saying better) but they are bigger (the exception was possibly the Avensis which was very similer and perhaps only slighlty bigger than the Octavia) and to me when travelling with kids, space is all.

The 5 series doesn't have a massive boot.

I had the hatch with the biggest boot - Saab 9000. But it wasn't a lot bigger! Also had a ST220, can't recall that boot being bigger either, of course the estate version was.

The Volvo was good as you could load to the ceiling as it had pull up nets behind the seats.

But, unless you go camping, you really don't need any more space than an Octy hatch boot and a roofbox. Assuming two adults & two kids. We managed in the Fabia without a roofbox recently going to Cornwall for a week with our 3&5 yr olds and I'd not say my wife packs light. in fact, I remember her taking five pairs of shoes when we went down their in my Elise!

The Octy has a bigger boot than all you mentioned above like for like. 560 ltrs in an Octy 510 in an Avensis and Mazda 6 and 540 in a Mondeo.

Boot figures are known in the Industry for being laughable excuses to sell cars. Manufactuers seem to take measurements from places that quite franky you cant put anything. Go park park your Octavia next to a current Mondeo, open the boots and decide which one you would prefer to be thrown into for a long cross state journey by the mafia. Come back and report! Eyes very rarley lie, Im not dissing the Octavia, far from it, it's a remarkable car in terms of space for the money they can be purchased for. Im just making the statement that 'oh my god' there might just be some cars with bigger boots available. You dont have to buy them, I would not have got rid of an Octavia estate and spent £24k on a new car for a bigger boot if not. I certainly dont feel short changed when it comes to space. Infact im pleased with the the extra space I have purchased. If your nearby your welcome to gave a look and see!

Mine going to Cornwall last week with 3 adult suitcases and a whole host of stuff. Good job I took my rear spacers off as it was low enough with the Eibachs anyway. With spacers I'd have been throwing up 80's style f1 sparks down the M5!

A47BD36F-7EC0-4063-8E42-6374FF03090C-468-00000046B2B45CC8.jpg

Edited by Moley RUFC

Mine going to Cornwall last week with 3 adult suitcases and a whole host of stuff. Good job I took my rear spacers off as it was low enough with the Eibachs anyway. With spacers I'd have been throwing up 80's style f1 sparks down the M5!

A47BD36F-7EC0-4063-8E42-6374FF03090C-468-00000046B2B45CC8.jpg

Here lies the problem. You travel light! :giggle::rofl:

Had there have been a 'Herbie' style incident then the road would have scattered with Peppa Pog wellies, 12 bottles of red wine, a box of Tribute ale and 3 fishing rods and a bag of fresh lug worm. Least it would have given those posing Land Rover driving 'incident support' drivers something to do

I moved to a bigger estate, yes the Octavia has the biggest boot of the mid sized family cars but its not a patch on the large family cars boots that are about at the moment in terms of size. Its main shortfall I found when compared with my current car and other cwrs I looked at before I purchased this one, is the width of the boot. This is just my findings an opinion of course. I must say that my Octavia served me proud with just one child though.

You may have moved to a bigger car but you haven't now got a bigger boot as a result

The Skoda Octavia Estate has a larger boot than your new Peugeot 508 SW:

Octavia Estate - Minimum Boot Space (ltrs) - 605, Maximum Boot Space (ltrs) - 1655

508 SW - Minimum Boot Space (ltrs) - 512, Maximum Boot Space (ltrs) - 1598

That makes the Octavia's boot up to 18% bigger.

You may have moved to a bigger car but you haven't now got a bigger boot as a result

The Skoda Octavia Estate has a larger boot than your new Peugeot 508 SW:

Octavia Estate - Minimum Boot Space (ltrs) - 605, Maximum Boot Space (ltrs) - 1655

508 SW - Minimum Boot Space (ltrs) - 512, Maximum Boot Space (ltrs) - 1598

That makes the Octavia's boot up to 18% bigger.

If you read my post about manufacturers 'claimed' boot capacities I would say that its more a point of Peugeot being more honest! Trust me from someone who has been loading the same gear, pram, suitcase and boxes of beer into the back of an Octavia estate for 2 years and who now loads the same stuff into the boot of a Peugeot 508, the Peugeot IS a bigger boot. Next time your in Harrogate let me know, Id be more than happy to show you.

• Like 1

Having seen both the Octavia Estate and i40 Estate i think the i40 estate is bigger (probably not on paper) but in the real world it doesnt seem any bigger than others.

But the i40 tourer is my next car in diesel guise now our annual mileage has gone up, currently hunting for a spec i want then its bye bye skoda (cant wait)

If you read my post about manufacturers 'claimed' boot capacities I would say that its more a point of Peugeot being more honest! Trust me from someone who has been loading the same gear, pram, suitcase and boxes of beer into the back of an Octavia estate for 2 years and who now loads the same stuff into the boot of a Peugeot 508, the Peugeot IS a bigger boot. Next time your in Harrogate let me know, Id be more than happy to show you.

The numbers quoted are from What Car? who I'm led to believe take their own measurements:

2961111327162.jpg296111132711.jpg

5199523432.jpg5199523171.jpg

Edited by silver1011

The i40 is a cracking car, I had one for two weeks. The boot is quite a bit bigger than the Octavia (not quite as big as the Peugeot) its loaded with tech and handles well too. Turns a lot of heads as people work out what it is too. A lot of car for the money and very very economical.

good luck and enjoy!

• Like 2

The i40 is a cracking car, I had one for two weeks. The boot is quite a bit bigger than the Octavia (not quite as big as the Peugeot) its loaded with tech and handles well too. Turns a lot of heads as people work out what it is too. A lot of car for the money and very very economical.

good luck and enjoy!

Thank you very much :)

Having just returned for a week away on holiday (in The UK) I can honestly say that we would not have got everything we needed (just one push chair) in the boot safely. I think the key work is safe here. If you have a smash at 70mph the shoes, books, wash bags etc you cram around the kids feet could well kill you the speed they will fly around the car. I personally think its naive to think its 'ok' to travel like this. I will only travel if everything other than jumpers and a couple of soft toys to keep the kids happy are in the boot and the cover is shut. To me its just a no brainer and commonsense.

I don understand. You're saying you couldn't fit a pushchair in the boot?!?

I can fit the baby''s stroller in the boot together with a large and a small suitcase, and maybe a sports bag or two too. I really don't see te problem, unless you're camping, surfing, taking bikes etc in which case you really need a trailer/trailer tent and/or a roofbox, cycle carrier, etc.

I've had mondeos and vectras as work cars and they haven't had any more boot space. I've also hired MPVs and the extra 'boot' space has been effectively part of the main cabin with maybe a roller blind across it. The only things floating about in the back with littlun are a couple of books, a soft toy and whatever crap he's insisted on bringing with him. There's certainly no 'luggage' stashed around him though.

Just seen the second page of this thread having posted the above - can now see that the whole boot argument is pointless - OC is comparing beyond average luggage fitted into space that simply doesn't factually exist with the requirements of a family car :D

To the OP - the Octy, or a mundano, or a vectra or even a pug 306 will have ample boot space - so don't worry ;)