Suspension Dilemma

A straightforward question ! Money no object .. which is the better option ? the B6 with h& springs or the b12 kit ?

Looking for -

1) A lowered ride height

2) better cornering

3) Not a very hard ride on less than perfect roads.

I believe that the B6 is just a standard length B8 and that the B12 kit uses B8 dampers.

Since the B12 kit has matched (Eibach) springs and (Bilstein) dampers, I'd suggest that this would be the better option (and the group buy on these closed Friday).

Mind you, I have no experience of H&R springs...

Or just buy a H&R cup kit that comes with the springs and matched dampers that are branded H&R but actually made by Bilstein. I have it on my car and it is hands down the best balance of ride/sport I have had on any vag car (and I've had 20 of them)

I believe that the B6 is just a standard length B8 and that the B12 kit uses B8 dampers.

Since the B12 kit has matched (Eibach) springs and (Bilstein) dampers, I'd suggest that this would be the better option (and the group buy on these closed Friday).

Mind you, I have no experience of H&R springs...

I've read that the eibachs have a more of a forgiving ride than the h&r ... I wasn't aware that the b12 came with eibachs springs ...

The drop with the b6 and h&r is about 30mm ... Any idea of the drop with the b12 ?

I was aware of the group buy ... But I'm not in the UK ... So would've been a pain, Getting them shipped ...

Or just buy a H&R cup kit that comes with the springs and matched dampers that are branded H&R but actually made by Bilstein. I have it on my car and it is hands down the best balance of ride/sport I have had on any vag car (and I've had 20 of them)

Which car do u have the h&r cup kit on ...

I'm looking to do this on a non vrs ... So as of now my ride is quite good ... If I go for a very sporty kit (from the name - cup kit - I assume) wont it make the ride a tad bit hard ...

Im just shooting in te dark ... I don't have any real experience ... But this is my first suspension upgrade and don't want it to be a spoiler ... Because I need a suspension that can also soak up bumps and pot holes without crashing .!

Bear in mind lowering also means less travel. Whichever kit you get, it will need to have harder springs to compensate for the shorter distance it has to travel to absorb any shock from the road. My experience of roads in India is that MORE travel would be better than less

If you only drive on smooth roads ok, but I found that not always possible - even in cities

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/249665-more-road-noise-since-fitting-lowering-springs/

Which car do u have the h&r cup kit on ...

I'm looking to do this on a non vrs ... So as of now my ride is quite good ... If I go for a very sporty kit (from the name - cup kit - I assume) wont it make the ride a tad bit hard ...

Im just shooting in te dark ... I don't have any real experience ... But this is my first suspension upgrade and don't want it to be a spoiler ... Because I need a suspension that can also soak up bumps and pot holes without crashing .!

For me I tend to think of the feeling of suspension and bing described by too things. Firmness for me is how quickly the damper controls the spring, for example an uncontrolled "soft" ride is one that bounces and wallows as the car is bouncing around on the springs but with little damping. A "Firm" ride is when you hit a dip or rise in the road and the dampers absorb the initial impact but there is little further travel/bounce after that......this is the best feeling of saftely and control.

Then there is harshness or "crashyness" and is when the spring/dampers are not correctly matched. Instead of the damper aborbing the initial impact, it doesn react enough and so you get a crashy ride. This can also be caused by the springs being too hard.

The cup kit is firmer than the standard octavia suspension but less crashy/harsh and so the overall ride feels much better than the standard suspension.

In comparison to some non VRS cars. It feels better less crashy than my BMW E90 M-Sport but is not as soft as my old B5.5 Passat Sport.

I dont think you'd be dissapointed with it, nice balance of both worlds.

Thanks for all the inputs ... Really appreciate ..

Well roads arent really that great and as far as I can say they are only getting worse by the minute, With the rains lashing down ... Well the roads aren't going to get better anytime soon.

I wasn't really keen on changing the suspension because I thought I needed the travel ... But in te last 3 years with this car, I've never really had many issues with gc ( I like to believe I live in the better parts of the city) .... But the main decision making moment for going for the suspension was when I had the chance to drive a UK reg 1.8 tsi dsg octavia (r&d vehicle got by Skoda) is when I realised that for India Skoda haven't really done anything to the suspension other than elongate the dampers and fit longer springs ... On a back to back drive over ' not so brilliant roads' the UK spec was equally good at soaking up the bumps and a tad bit better handling ... When I accidentally flew over a pothole ... The suspension crashed on my car ... It felt like it couldn't compress anymore .. I mean if that's the case then what's the point of me compromising the handling and also make it look horrible at the same time ...

So now back to basic question ... Will the b12 be good at soaking up the basic bumps and undulations on the road ... In a way that's not very crashy ..

Well nothings changed has it?

In your position, I go'd for the Bilstein in standard length (B8?) The improvement in damping and therefore control of the wheels/body should be noticeable enough to justifly the expense. If cost is really no object why not Öhlins or some custom Nitrons?

If you didn't like the crashing on a std height car, don't expect any form of lowering to be better.

Skoda may have just put longer springs and damper in India spec cars, but they may not. In the old days, the suspension spec for export models could be quite different, maybe not at first glance but done for a purpose, ie cope with local road conditions.

If you just want a low car that's your choice, but I don't think you will get one without considerable compromises. Especially in the area of ride comfort, noise and harshness and of course handling - because that will be worse too.

Well nothings changed has it?

In your position, I go'd for the Bilstein in standard length (B8?) The improvement in damping and therefore control of the wheels/body should be noticeable enough to justifly the expense. If cost is really no object why not Öhlins or some custom Nitrons?

If you didn't like the crashing on a std height car, don't expect any form of lowering to be better.

Skoda may have just put longer springs and damper in India spec cars, but they may not. In the old days, the suspension spec for export models could be quite different, maybe not at first glance but done for a purpose, ie cope with local road conditions.

If you just want a low car that's your choice, but I don't think you will get one without considerable compromises. Especially in the area of ride comfort, noise and harshness and of course handling - because that will be worse too.

Well said! I think if you want lower then any good brand matched spring/damper set would be fine. H&R or B12/Eibach etc

However the issue is, do you want to go lower as it will be a problem on your roads. If that is the case then you just need some better dampers that will work well with your standard springs.

Well, the roads aren't really that bad if you stick to the main roads ... I mean there is a 458 italia and a 300SL 722 edition in my adjacent building ... So you can understand its not that bad also.

But as for the suspension ..

this is only getting super confusing.

The b6 as I know is standard replacements in India also. Many people have been using them with the standard springs, but I really don't see the point in that !!

I'm not that worried with gc issues as my journeys are restricted to only the better part of the city or the highways and my car's hardly ever loaded.

Also for the road noise I'm on the primacy lc .. Which are quite good all rounders and have reduced road noise to quite an extent ...

In that case: go for the B12 kit (Eibach pro kit springs & B8 dampers for lowered cars).

B6's are standard length dampers and an 'upgrade' to stock ones. There is some logic there. B8's the same spec but are designed only for lowered cars.

The B12 kit llowers the standard European Octavia by around 30mm. As the Indian spec is higher than European you'll need to add the difference to work out how much drop you will get.

HTH

In that case: go for the B12 kit (Eibach pro kit springs & B8 dampers for lowered cars).

B6's are standard length dampers and an 'upgrade' to stock ones. There is some logic there. B8's the same spec but are designed only for lowered cars.

The B12 kit llowers the standard European Octavia by around 30mm. As the Indian spec is higher than European you'll need to add the difference to work out how much drop you will get.

HTH

Or go H&R cup which is cheaper and uses H&R springs (better than eibach) and matched bilstein made dampers ;)

Around 1.5" (touring set) or 2" (sport set) according to their website...

I can't comment upon the ride as I've never had them on a car, but they do seem to retail around £100 cheaper than the B12 set.

Worth taking into consideration...

Personally I'd go B6 on stock springs.

VAG cars are often well sprung, but very much under damped. You'll get a huge improvement in handling, just by sorting out the lack of damping.

B6 on stock springs won't reduce my ride height ... If I'm upgrading the suspension ...

I do want a lower ride height ..