Uprated clutch and SMF pricing thread

OK, so lots of people asking clutch upgrade prices recently, including myself, so i thought it would be good to cover it in one post.

From what i can see:

Sachs + Jabba SMF - £990

Southbend silent SMF kit - £875 +VAT

CG Motorsport 6 paddle SMF kit - £675

Helix kit - £972 including VAT from Mardigras Motorsport

Is there any other options out there?

Any Fabia have a CG clutch/flywheel long term use?

Edited by NoSmokeNoPoke

Such a can of worms this clutch business - MANY people suggest the standard DMF and an uprated clutch will easily see 220bhp and high 300's of torque...Mind boggling choosing the correct one for my car, ANd then its a question of where to source it!

A new DMF and uprated clutch would probably be good for high 300s IF it's driven properly. My old DMF was done in by a 380lb/ft low down spiky map and a previous driver who took advantage of it. My reason for choosing an SMF is that I don't ever want to have to fit another clutch setup, the idle chatter doesn't bother me as I don't do a lot of driving in traffic and I can't hear it on the move, and it's pretty bulletproof so even if I wanted to fit a proper big turbo instead of my hybrid it'll be capable. Should easily be good for the lifetime of the car now, IMO.

I ran the silent Southbend kit and it was very good and was silent once it bed in. Your price is inaccurate though - thats £875 + VAT and is for the stage 1 daily driver rated to 375lbs/ft.

I ran the stage 2 daily driver rated to 400lbs/ft which is £925 + VAT.

Not cheap but like gac says, you'll only upgrade it once

Good to see our prices are the best at the moment :)

Also we have the option of 5 and 8 paddle kits.

The 8 is our new signature kit and offers a near standard drive, giving the power and comfort most of our customers constantly ask for.

We havent sold many of these into the Skoda market yet but at just £750 we hope to do so soon.

So, apart from Jasvrs, no one else has used the CG motorsport one?

Jasvrs - Would you be kind enough to do a video of how loud it is with clutch in/out at idle?

Thanks all so far.

I shall do mate since u asked nicely :)

Hi Guys,

I would definitely be interested in setting up a group buy for BriSkoda members. PM me for more info.

Just wanted to say a few things.

• Thanks to Chris for the review, it was a long (and expensive!!) job but I'm glad we got there in the end!!
  • I've been approached by numerous traders on here, CG Motorsport are looking to grow our brand at the moment so we do not sell to the trade, we may change this stance over the next year but this is how we want to move forward for now.
  • 'SILENT' SMFs - There is really no such thing as a 'silent SMF.' As a SMF is one unit it transmits a naturally generated harmonic noise, which some people are referring to as chatter. Our SMF does reduce this volume as do other supplier's kits but to call them silent is unrealistic I just wanted to clarify this to avoid any disappoint to an customers down the line.

I hope this helps people, I will be more than happy to offer anyone free technical clutch advice before purchase. Its really important that wherever you buy a clutch from you explain how you plan to use it so we will only sell you what you need not what we make the money on. I don't want any Briskodians fitting a standard clutch on a remapped car as much as I don't want someone to fit a 5 paddle kit into a car only used to drive their nan to the shops.

Finally thanks for all the PMs and general chatter I'm in Germany at Automechanica this weekend so messages may not be replied to until Monday.

Thanks

Andy

Just to follow up my last post...

I have been talking with our technical dept regarding the lbft figures - I have a background in petrol (Fords) so just getting to grips myself with the need for lbsft conversions with the TDi's

Our figures.

The stage 1 - Sports kit is good for around 330lbsft of torque

The stage 3 - Paddle kit is good for 420lbsft of torque - We think this is adequate for most cars, we supply tuning companies throughout the UK and Europe and work closely with their figures which suggest around 380-400lbsft of torque is a realistic figure for a stage 3 remapping on the 1.9 TDi's.The stage 3 offers about the same lbsft in the 5, 6 and 8 paddle, with less paddles allowing a more precise but aggressive gear change with the new 8 paddle plate providing a much smoother drive.

There is also a difference between sprung and rigid drive plates. With the more common rigid plates using a SMF driving can be quite harsh, this set up is more suited to track day use. However the newer sprung version will allow for a more natural 'daily drive' feel with the options of track day use.

We are having a lot of feedback that other companies are quoting much higher figures but we like to be more conservative with our figures to enable us to give you a solid guarantee.

Some of our customers have had around 425lbsft of torque out of our kits but this can depend on a host of variables such as engine condition, driving style and the general mechanical state of the vehicle.

I hope this helps everyone out.