Are the "new" TSi engines turbo and supercharged?

soakins

To clarify . The Roomster TSI engines are only turbocharged - they are not supercharged. I don't think there is any 1.2 l engine that has both turbo and supercharger, as these engines are meant to be the bulk engines - cheap to produce and mechanically durable. The double charging is available in some 1.4 engines, but I am not sure if they are available at all for Skodas.

The twin charged engine is fitted to the Fabia VRS. Don't think you will ever see it on the Roomster. 1.2 TSi 105bhp is a great engine with just the turbo though.

Thanks folks. I didn't think it was turbo and super charged, but I was told that it was by a salesman in a skoda dealership that shall remain nameless.

What is the 86ps one like? The roomster is not that much heavier than the Fabia, and I will be shopping in it more than racing in it.

I have an 86 ps TSI about six weeks old. Although a little sluggish at first, certainly moves when you put your foot down.

Sounds a bit like a diesel with the glug glug sound when started up but this soon disappears and the turbocharger is

not particularly noisy. Very pleased with the economy/performance ratio. Was informed before purchase that the

smaller 1.2 engine is not brilliant either in performance or economy.

Thanks everyone. I am trying to work out whether or not the roomster suits my needs before this "no vat"deal runs out at the end of September. Or will they carry it on? Or will there be an even better deal? Any insider information gratefully received.

What other choices did people consider when they bought their Roomsters?

I have just ordered a new Roomster under the no VAT deal (1.2 TSI 105ps) having been driving a Roomster 2 1.6 for over 4 years. We looked at most of the other mini MPVs - B-Max, Hyundai ix20, Kia Venga, C3 Picasso etc. We didn't find anything that had as much boot space, cabin space, interior light and drove as well as the Roomster. The closest rival for space and driving position was the Picasso: but it felt a bit van like and Citroen don't have the best reliability record. So it's another few years of Roomster driving for us!

I have just ordered a new Roomster under the no VAT deal (1.2 TSI 105ps) having been driving a Roomster 2 1.6 for over 4 years. We looked at most of the other mini MPVs - B-Max, Hyundai ix20, Kia Venga, C3 Picasso etc. We didn't find anything that had as much boot space, cabin space, interior light and drove as well as the Roomster. The closest rival for space and driving position was the Picasso: but it felt a bit van like and Citroen don't have the best reliability record. So it's another few years of Roomster driving for us!

Agree! Go for the 105hp and you will not regret :happy:

I was downsizing from a 7 seater when I was looking at the Roomster. To be honest I went into the Skoda dealer to look at the Yeti, but it could not cope with the 3 child seats and the Roomster could (all to do with positioning the outside two rear seat in front or behind the centre seat).

I looked at all sorts of cross overs, things like the Mitsubishi ASX, Pug 3008 and Partner, Citroen Picasso, Fiat Doblo etc only the Partner and the Picasso could cope with the 3 child seats.

In the end I went for the Roomster as I liked the idea of the DSG box and with the 0% VAT deal on the car and options it made sense.

On my last trip the 105 bhp engine managed to surprise a Jag driver (who thought they would overtake me on the outside on a roundabout but couldn't) as well as outdragging an ageing 1.8 litre Astra and making an Insignia driver think twice about what was under the bonnet of my Roomie.

Not only did the car perform as above but it can also return figures in the 40's for MPG or over 550 miles from a single tank of unleaded.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I am trying to work out whether or not the roomster suits my needs before this "no vat"deal runs out at the end of September. Or will they carry it on? Or will there be an even better deal? Any insider information gratefully received.

I was looking for something bigger to replace my '98 Polo that was scarcely able to carry all things needed for our recently enlarged family :giggle: . Not too big, though.

After some research, I realized I could not find anything more spacious or practical in 4.21 mt. of length. Plus, I really like new VW group's TSI engines for their low revs torque and relatively low consumption. And here we are with our beloved Roomy...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The twin charged engine is fitted to the Fabia VRS. Don't think you will ever see it on the Roomster.

I wish they would make it.............. :love:

No technical reason either as the whole front end is Fabia anyway!!!...........And it has the rear beam etc from the Octavia!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought TSI stood for Turbo Supercharge Injection, what else could TSI stand for ?

So in that case the TSI engine in the Roomster must be Turbo Supercharged Injection.

Edited by Hughp

I thought TSI stood for Turbo Supercharge Injection, what else could TSI stand for ?

So in that case the TSI engine in the Roomster must be Turbo Supercharged Injection.

Going by this article

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/petrol/tsi

I think TSI refers to Turbo Stratified Injection - as the previous FSI was fuel stratified injection

No, it doesn't, grafitti, above is correct. :-)

Well I had thought so but then when re-reading it there was talk of turbo and superchargers and I figured I must have not understood it the first time...

"....Direct petrol injection is combined with a turbocharger or charge compression with a turbo and a supercharger working in tandem."
Edited by grafitti

Well I had thought so but then when re-reading it there was talk of turbo and superchargers and I figured I must have not understood it the first time...

That reffers specifically to the 1.4TSi as fitted to the Fabia MK2 VRS, Polo GTI etc etc - The only twincharged TSI lump in the vag group. :)