iPhone to Android

Royston

Im due an upgrade on my iPhone 4. Mrs has iPhone 4S. The new iPhone5 is completely underwhelming so I'm thinking of abandoning the good ship Apple and jumping into the bed of Android. Something like a Galaxy S3 should suffice ( unless there's owt better ont horizon)

Has anyone changed to android from iOS? What was that like? Did the sky infact fall on your head?

I had a brief dalliance with a Galaxy Ace running gingerbread and it was horrible. Slow, convoluted menu system and generally un intuitive.

All advice gratefully received.

I went from iOS to Android, initially it was an awful experience, this was because I bought a cheap phone and it was just not powerful enough. I later bought a HTC One X and that all changed, its much much better(than the previous phone)

It can be more fiddly.

Its not as well held together/integrated.

Android apps are all over the place, its nice that most iOS apps have a consistent look and feel.

Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean are much nicer than Gingerbread.

I like being able to use custom ROMS and fiddle with things.

Overall it gives much the same experience and functionality.

Bottom line there are pros and cons of both and you cant really go wrong with either, imo.

HTC are coming with the One X+ but from what I can see its just faster processor, which is already plenty quick enough.

• Like 1

The S3 is a screamer my large hootered northern brudda, it's a bit of a handful, but then it's great for browsing and reading etc.

I can't comment on the iOS changeover as I have an aversion to fruit based hardware and the stigma attached to it.

I am personnelly in love with android and can't seem to stop buying things that run on it, currently looking into a car unit which would match the tellybox thing which also runs on the droid system, you could try the S3 and if you think it's a crock flog and go back to your middle class w**kfest phones. Android is the working mans phone .....

HTH :giggle:

• Like 2

Bottom line there are pros and cons of both and you cant really go wrong with either, imo.

Hit the nail on the head there.

I have a few mates who rave on about how good their iphone is but I have the galaxy s and it's just as good. The latest version does everything the iphone does but for me the benefit of not going apple is lower costs both when buying/upgrading the phone and the insurance. The insurance for iphones is significantly overpriced and if you shop around you can get the galaxy including insurance and all the other mins/date/txts etc all included on a cheaper tarrif.

Every renewal I check to see whats changed and with the android systems now accounting for the larger market share of OS systems it's a no brainer for me.

I have used the iphone a fair bit and TBH I dont think theres that much difference between them as long as you get a decent phone. IMO the galaxy (latest version) is an excellent alternative to the iphone.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies chaps. I think chronic hit nail ont swede. Horses for courses an all that.

Erm, Daffyd what do you mean large hoottered? I'll have you know my schnozzola is considerably less big than Gerard depardieu and also some elephants as well.

I shall have a squint at yon HTC X 1 and do some comparing and contrasting.

Or As SWMBO says I could just keep the iPhone 4 on a £15 per month Sim dealeo. Boooooooo!

Just to advise if your considering the HTC1X, then beware of the battery life if you use it a lot during the day, it is quite poor. Be aware the minute you switch on Bluetooth or play music a lot, it will drain he battery quickly. ANY droid phone you are thinking of, read as many reviews on battery life before getting the phone.

Having used HandyDroid since pre gingerbread & still using, I would strongly recommend you always switch off any apps that regularly update, or use the OS to only update at long intervals, & try to keep a minimum number of apps in memeory as this can have an effect on the battery.

Switching should not really be an issue as both use screen icons, it will just be getting used to using an OS / phone that is not as locked down as the chavfone.

I switched from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy Note. Fantastic bit of kit. Integration is not so good...for example all my music is on itunes. Trying to sync it is a mission and 90% of car stuff is made for ipod/iphone. Finding a song to listen to in the car on the note takes forever and I miss iOS for its simpleness. Other than that...android all the way!!

I switched from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy Note. Fantastic bit of kit. Integration is not so good...for example all my music is on itunes. Trying to sync it is a mission and 90% of car stuff is made for ipod/iphone. Finding a song to listen to in the car on the note takes forever and I miss iOS for its simpleness. Other than that...android all the way!!
<br /><br />How are you trying to synch Edited by domhnall

Are you using the app doubletwist?

I'm getting the iPhone 5 next Friday, I wonder how different it will be when I sync it to Ivor's Bluetooth system. :think:

Getting it from Phones4U rather than from a network. That way I can collect it in person, and tinker with it in the evening. :giggle:

I'm getting the iPhone 5 next Friday, I wonder how different it will be when I sync it to Ivor's Bluetooth system. :think:

Getting it from Phones4U rather than from a network. That way I can collect it in person, and tinker with it in the evening. :giggle:

560555_10151262223443064_1464478571_n.jpg

Guest BigJase88

I had a play with an s3 today

Seemed sluggish to load up everything

Was clumsy in size and looked cheap

Not even a patch on my iphone 4 tbh!

Will have to see a 5 in real life but think im just gna keep my 4 and get a sim only deal! Think technology had reached a plateau

I had a play with an s3 today

Seemed sluggish to load up everything

Was clumsy in size and looked cheap

Not even a patch on my iphone 4 tbh!

Will have to see a 5 in real life but think im just gna keep my 4 and get a sim only deal! Think technology had reached a plateau

Something wrong with it if it's sluggish. You get used to the size and then when you see a tiny iPhone you just lol. I got a one X as also felt the Samsung looked/felt cheap.

Going to get the wife a 5 for Christmas. :)

Something wrong with it if it's sluggish. You get used to the size and then when you see a tiny iPhone you just lol. I got a one X as also felt the Samsung looked/felt cheap.

Going to get the wife a 5 for Christmas. :)

yes I would agree. Swmbo has an s3 and its rapid! Battery life is good on it too. Almost 2days use out of it.

yes I would agree. Swmbo has an s3 and its rapid! Battery life is good on it too. Almost 2days use out of it.

yup a sluggish s3 isn't working right. I have one colleague who is a total apple fanboy and he switched from his 4s to the s3 a few weeks after he first saw mine.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not keen on Samsungs UI and do prefer HTC's Sense UI. Plain Android is fantastic though on the Nexus 7
just install a different launcher. I have an s2 for work and an s3 as my own phone. I don't use Samsung ui on either of them.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

IPhone 5, still looks like a 4s. Be interesting what it's like. IPhone have managed to get Samsung products limited in US why would they need to do this if their products are so"amazing" My mate was an iPhone nut. Had a go on my note and now has an s2. Pit a film on me note, Put it on mates imac. Took ages to swap to imac format. Sent a sound msg to mate on iphone and other mates and samsung, htc, blackberry. The iphone couldnt play it the rest could. Why make things difficult....

Wow that made sense. Drunken reply.

Jase I've got a 30gig card with 20films on at a time, hdmi cable adaptor for tele. DVD player obsolete now. What ever next.....got a psx emulator. Better than my old ps2.

The note is huge but half a tablet and just as quick. Never had an Android phone before. I had an iPhone when first released. My god I had no end of problems and couldn't do half as much as what I can do with this!!

Have 2batteries and a battery charger. Swap daily and never run out.

Android all the way

Sent from my GT-N7000

Samsung galaxy note all the way! Lol i love mine, got it when my iphone 4 broke and apple were not interested as out of warranty! So bye bye apple hello samsung! Lol and now i have bought a new samsung 10.1 tablet instead of the ipad!!

Doubletwist is good for synching, personally I use iSyncr now, I have gotten everything to sync with that, including all my podcasts.

I just dropped my subscription to iTunes match and bought the Amazon Cloud Player and have space for "unlimited" uploads and the cloudplayer app is not to bad.

Thanks for the replies chaps. I think chronic hit nail ont swede. Horses for courses an all that.

Erm, Daffyd what do you mean large hoottered? I'll have you know my schnozzola is considerably less big than Gerard depardieu and also some elephants as well.

I shall have a squint at yon HTC X 1 and do some comparing and contrasting.

Or As SWMBO says I could just keep the iPhone 4 on a £15 per month Sim dealeo. Boooooooo!

What's a schnozzola ...... and I hope for your good lady's sake it's smaller than his

6555881547_2d82438648.jpg

Freddie the five legged elephant by Mr Fluffmeister, on Flickr