Cylinder 2 coil pack U/S

wills

That might work if I had a 9-5 job, George - I'm afraid my mind is other things after a 12-14 hour day and yes, being lazy, I don't check the oil on every fill up. Its not much fun doing it at 7am or 9pm either plus pointless doing it on the slope thats the works carpark either.

I don't expect any modern engine to use anywhere near this amount of oil, irrespective of its state of tune. The fact its using less than the VAG/Skoda recommended quantity per 1000 miles/km is still annoying as I've never driven a car that uses this much without it failing an MoT on visible smoke!

As for the oil suffering from running at higher temperatures - its already had an oil change via constant loss in my book (as I've now added 4 litres and there's still another 8000 miles before it needs an oil change!). A top up I can cope with - but using more than a sumpfull between services is not acceptable in my book - let alone using possibly a 1 litre bottle every 2 tanks of fuel!

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, George. My Scirocco used a litre (if that) in 72,000 miles and that was all within the first 10k.

Edited by philhoward
  • Like 1

I would not expect a modern engine to use oil at that rate, and i would not accept that.

You need to take action and not accept it IMO.

If your oil is being run at the correct level & using oil at anything like the amount you say it is, i would get that sorted, as you appear to have a problem.

I can see cars getting an Emission test at their first MOT & have to pass or fail,

i dont imagine any failing on emissions.

i dont think anyone is driving a MK2 vRS with a plume or cloud of unburnt oil billowing out the back.

Some have a puff and a sooty exhaust.

Thats possibly running rich and not kicking out oil type soot.

Easy to get the car on an engine analyser.

Hope you can get Skoda to look at and sort out your engine.

george

As oil usage (in my case) appears to be increasing I will be keeping records from now onwards but it will have to wait until I'm back in the UK to approach Skoda regarding the usage. Whether or not I'll get anywhere if its within their guidelines, I've no idea until I ask, eh?

I do not think thay are getting to hide behind their idea of their acceptable usage.

1 litre possibly every 1200 miles up to 3100 miles then some reduction.

No way that can be acceptable for 'some' engines & others with no oil usage.

?What tolerances do VAG work to on advanced engines like Twin Chargers if thats their guidlines.?

all the best with it.

george

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone...

Just an update - car went in today and it appears it is getting a long engine and not a short one as previously told...

Here it is in all it's glory...

vrsengbare.jpg

Was surprised at quite how light it is to be honest - I asked the tech who was going to be doing the work on my vehicle some questions about the new engine and he lifted the whole thing up towards him with no difficulty at all - it seems so light!

Anyway, it comes with all new sensors, injectors and even a new oil filler cap! Everything else looks like it is going to be transferred from the previous engine.

Will keep everyone updated...

-Will :)

Another update - went to the dealer today as I was passing and nipped in to see how things were going...

As expected - engine already swapped and to be honest, not far off being done - this was at around 1400.

vrsengchg.jpg

Tech expected to have car running that evening with test driving tomorrow...

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly!

have you got a new engine number?

Interesting question and i look forward to hearing from wills on this.

Allegedly, and i can only go by what the dealer told me, these are a recondition unit to which the original engine number has been removed, and that they then re stamp the engine with your original engine number. Again, allegedly, they have all the latest mods applied to them so it should solve all of the oil consumption issues. Well heres hoping it does anyway, 350 miles into my new engine and i haven't reached for my litre can of oil yet that lives in the boot :)

However, it is still early days.

re Engine number removal & re-stamping.

If that is the case then that will be the reason for then to confirm that in writing.

That should be entered in the service book as well as on any Skoda Dealership computer records.

At no point down the line, possibly new owners etc, does anyone want pulled up for ringing cars or the like.

Professionals like Skoda are sure to be on the ball with the likes of that, are they not!!!!!?

Top communication company like them. NOT.

george

Hi everyone,

Sorry, haven't had a chance to post since I got the car back as I have been busy with work - booo! :(

Anyway, I got the car back yesterday (Thursday) at around 1630.

When I got the car back I had a few questions lined up that I wanted to ask, these were as follows...

1 - Engine number - the same or different? - The engine number on my vehicle has remained the same. The new engine comes with a blank that is then stamped by the dealer upon installation of the new engine into the car.

2 - How should I drive it? - I was curious as to how I should treat the new engine. My original engine I treated 'normally', i.e. I just drove it as normal, if I wanted to use the full rev range I did and if I wanted to just potter along I would. However, the dealer said to me I should be "gentle" with the engine for the first 500 miles, I was not to "drive it like I stole it" and I should not "redline" it at all during this time (all their words not mine). I am following this advice and just pottering around in it - not going much past 4k RPM at all.

3 - Servicing? - I wanted to know whether I needed to bring it back in after 1,000 miles for an oil change like when I first got the vehicle. I was told this was not needed and I should come back at the next service point should I not encounter any problems. I did comment that this seemed odd as it was a new engine but got told that it was no problem.

So since getting the car back I have covered roughly 100 miles and all seems well. I have been listening out for anything strange and also been keeping an eye for anything strange. Everything has been put back together to a high standard - I have gone over the engine quite closely and I can't find anything loose, no hanging cables and no missing bolts. All is working well and I have got my fingers crossed everything will stay that way.

I shall be dipping the oil tomorrow at some point as part of my weekend checks I do - hopefully I can go back to this rather than every other day as I got to at one point.

Hopefully this brings a close to my oil consumption issues. The dealer has been fantastic through all this and has always kept me up to date so thumbs up to Progress Skoda of Northampton!

Edited by wills
  • Like 1

Have fun with it.

Thanks for your posts & pictures and your experiences.

Lets hope all is well now.

I would of hoped you had dipped the oil when you first got home from the garage to see the level they put it out the garage with..

??

Could you please dip it today

*When Cold & the engine is not been started*,

Then later when it has been up to Normal Running temperatures,

let us know the 2 points on the Stick,

Dead Cold Level & A few Minutes after stopping from hot level?

Cheers.

(Your dipstick oil level pictures are the clearest i have seen, mine are never in focus)

re

your comments on going back after 1000 miles for an oil change.

That was common with almost all new vehicles last century, i have not really heard of any vehicle getting 1000 mile first oil changes for a decade now.

Surprised to hear your vRS got that when you bought it.

I remember getting a Fiat new back in 2001 & being told it would go back first at 10,000 miles and being amazed.

Subaru at that time were extending there service intervals which they later reduced again, & Lexus were saying 120,000 miles before an oil change.

george

Skoda customer told me engine number removal & re-stamp but nothing about reconditions engine.

So far not using much oil in 800 miles.

Check oil level on my 900 miles new engine today @ 87°c when stopped

After 10 mins middle of zone B

after 30 mins top of zone B

Kopo,

was 900 miles after the new engine the first time you checked it,

or had you checked it after the first trip away from the garage that fitted the engine to see how much oil they sent it out with?

IMO it is the only way you can know if it is using oil or not since the engine was changed.

*vRS owners that have their car into a Skoda Garage for oil changes or engine modifications should ask the Technician/Mechanic/Fitter or workshop Manager to dip the oil & show you how the oil is dipped before you take the car away.

Then you can see how they do it & what the starting level is, rather than waiting till days later and not knowing where it was on the stick straight from the workshop.*

george

...so all still seems well after nearly 400 miles...

I dipped the oil this morning before I left when it was stone cold and this was the result...

vrsdipcold.jpg

I haven't had a chance to dip it hot yet as it's either been raining or dark! I will dip it tomorrow when it is warm so I can show a comparison photo...

DOH< , I missed the red arrow as well looking on the phone. (i even posted the picture on my 'Dipstick' thread & never noticed the Red Arrow.)

i thought it was at the orange marker like mine was this morning after getting 3.5 litres of new oil yesterday,

then a little ticky more added later.

wills,

i would get that dipped hot as soon as you can.

That is one high level for being a cold dip.

george

This is a VW Polo Owners Manual, Reads Differently from the Skoda Fabia one,

Different translation from CZ i take it, & Skoda UK told me they were doing something about this.

Not a clue what they have or are going to do, They best tell the Work shops that work on Skodas.

They should be able to fill an engine with 3.6 litres of oil then check that is what is in it!