differences in the petrol diesel suspension/brakes etc

Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help me, i'm contemplating swapping the engine in my 1.6felicia petrol pickup to a diesel 1.9.

Do they both use the same suspension, brakes etc? Also does the pickup use a hatchback or estate fuel tank, or are they both the same. Many thanks if you can give me any advice.

Hi Fun Pickup, it's your choice but personally I won't change to the 1.9d. I find I get pretty good mpg out of the 1.6 and tbh although you may get a few more mpg out of the 1.9, you'll almost certainly compromise performance. If you really want to go down this route there's plenty of experienced/knowledgeable members who can advise. ;)

Hi the gearbox and engine has damage and ive also got a diesel allowance through work so really favour the swap, for the roads that i drive on the 1.9 d is adequete as allready have some use of a caddy version and am reasonably happy with performance compromise, so any advice would be appreciated.

Hi the gearbox and engine has damage and ive also got a diesel allowance through work so really favour the swap, for the roads that i drive on the 1.9 d is adequete as allready have some use of a caddy version and am reasonably happy with performance compromise, so any advice would be appreciated.

Ah ok that makes more sense, over to others detail wise ;)

Brakes are identical across the range.

Springs and dampers are different for the diesel for obvious reasons.

No idea about the tank, you may have some luck looking at VAG-CAT for it? Having had a quick look, the hatches use the same basic tank between petrol and diesel, but they use different accessories and a different fuel pump (or rather it looks like no pump for the diesel, and an in-tank pump for petrol).

I believe there are some electrical differences in terms of alternator feed, oil pressure switch, although this is just off the top of my head. All doable with the right donor parts (remember the immobiliser, etc!).

Thank you for your feedback, with the imboliser is it built into the ignition barrel or to the fuel pump on the diesel, if so would i be able to simply fit a standard cut off solinoid or is it more complex, seeing the price that rough felicia cars can be picked up for i really do feel it will be worth carrying out the conversion.

It is possible to remove the immobiliser solenoid and replace it with a standard one from a Transit (about £8). However, you'll need to remove the diesel pump from the car to do this, and also modify the steel 'shield/mount' to allow this as the Tranny one is a bit longer (the stud electrical connection on it).

The standard Immo is built into the diesel pump - there is a ring around the ignition switch that senses the signal. That ring is connected to a little immo box which is on the steering column, and that communicates with the circuitry on the bottom of the diesel pump itself. I bypassed it on my Mum's 1.9D as I thought it was dodgy (it wasn't, but there you go), so it's easily done once the pump is off the engine.

Yes. Need key chip, immo ring, immo box and matching (coded) ecu or vagcom

Different looms and ecus.

Prefer the diesel for its power curve,( its better on a bosch pump) and yes you can run it on just an ign live, ignoring the ecu input, or swap the management and dash wiring

. Rev counter wiring different

Swop the fuel supply solenoid for a std one or make a permanent earth to the original --remove the shrouding for access, and the lucas pump works ok, despite it being the set up`s weakest point.

A glow plug solenoid needs to be installed and fed when required (push button.?)

Starter (and ring gear) lasts less too and needs to be the diesel set up, bigger bodied. Part of this weakness is caused by earlier failure of the position spring with starter engaged and engine powered up.

If my engine and box had broke and the car was petrol it would go back the same its just easier and the running costs are not too far apart to make the man hours required to make the change personally viable on a daily vehicle. In fact that happened recently.

But,

if its just `cos you want to do it and its feasible, others` logic is irrelevant,- go for it

Edited by rolo

hi there i would buy a 1.9 donner car then you will have all you need i would swap the loom out off derv car and i would just swap pump in tank and use petrol tank all you need to do for immobilser is swap black box and chip in key thats all i did when i went from 1.3 to 1.6

whats wrong with your 1.6 lump

Is it a dashboard out job to swap the loom? Theres nothing too major wrong with the engine, just needs a few parts but the gearbox mount has split and done some harm, i know i'm wierd but prefer how diesels runs. Am i right in thinking the diesel only uses the engine pump and non in the tank?

I think they're just talking about the engine bay loom, which can be disconnected at the firewall in the engine bay. I could be wrong, however!

Diesel only uses the engine pump, the tank pickup is different (and not with a pump).

You seem to have made your mind up, but having had the 1.6 and currently the 1.9, I fail to see why it's favourable when the running costs are near enough identical. The 1.9 is unpleasant on motorways, 'wake-your-neigbours-up' clattery on cold mornings and the lack of power is generally frustrating. Weld your foot to floor and wait an age 'til you come within sniffing distance of 60mph.

I suppose I'd better balance it out though - it's a sweet runner and a solid engine with plenty of low-down grunt for around town. Honest John said that the diesels feel 'front-heavy on standard width tyres', but I've gotta say, the pair of continentals I'm running on the front and you can chuck it about like it's nobody's business. It's great fun working it on tight, winding country roads.

There are options to add a turbo to it if you have the time and a small pile of money, but I suppose the leisurely 1.9d just suits some people, and I suppose if you get diesel allowance, then fair game. Just saying, you may find yourself rocking back and forth in your seat Jeremy Clarkson style with the accelerator welded to the floor shouting 'COME-ONNNNN!!!!' battling to overtake a snail.

Sensible errrr

If you`re gonna buy a donor car iust buy a reasonable one and use it!

Wanted a diesel gearbox bought a t&t diesel estate less than £200 on ebay. Needed retiming and s/h battery ran it awhile Took lots of bits off then weighed it for £140.

Sell me the fun cheap.

Edited by rolo

i could get 45mpg out of my 1.6, even with a modified engine I was getting over 40mpg.

the 1.6 is such a low revving torquey engine it almost drives like a diesel anyway, it really doesn't like to be revved much either.

I would simply buy a 1.9d donor car, take all the nice bits off your 1.6 and use the donor car as the driver. buy a running spares and repair diesel that say needs a need battery, brakes and tyres, then swap everything off yours and stick it on... and your done