Hi and a little help please.

Cumbria Steve

First of all, have browsed here a couple of times and great forum.

As my name suggests I am from the wilds of Cumbria, plenty of A and B roads and a few that could be classed as X Y and Z, although in honesty I will never go off road and if it snows the car stays in the garage, driving in snow is fun but I spend too much time dodging those that can't.

So.. I intend to become a Yeti owner in the early new year and this is where your views will help.

My low annual milage of around 5k suggests petrol, perhaps with a Yeti that milage will increase though, but still no more than 8K.

I have driven a diesel and was very impressed, also a 1.2 petrol...impressed again but like others I have this nagging feeling of constant gear changes on the hilly roads we have.

That leads me to consider the 1.4 but it appears to be the one model that gets very few comments and certainly seems to be the least popular unless I am wrong.

Any info from 1.4 owners will help my struggling decision making.

At the moment I am leaning towards the 2 litre diesel 2 WD, simply for that fantastic torque and accepting it needs a blast out once a week to keep the sooty bits clean

Hello Steve and welcome along :thumbup:

The diesel is a cracking engine, like you say loads of torque and mine (170) is quick, should the need arise. Realistically I do just under 10k miles a year which should have made the petrol the choice for me but, after driving both diesel and petrol I was hooked with the diesel so, that's my ten penneth for your consideration, sorry I can't offer any experience of the 1.4 or for that matter the 1.2.

I think with buying a new or nearly new car I would be a bit worried regarding mapping which takes the engine beyond it's design (maybe) and as you mention..affecting any warranty.

I may check the scrappies for a nice Bugatti Veyron engine to drop in it..should help the acceleration a tad ;)

Hi and welcome aboard,.

When we were buying our Furby we didn't know whether to go for petrol or diesel, we do around 8000 miles a year and i worked out over 5 years cost of running the car and servicing that there was not a lot in it but we went for petrol as the wife preferred it.

Hi and welcome aboard,.

When we were buying our Furby we didn't know whether to go for petrol or diesel, we do around 8000 miles a year and i worked out over 5 years cost of running the car and servicing that there was not a lot in it but we went for petrol as the wife preferred it.

The 1.2 which seems the most popular for some reason, still wondering why the 1.4 Yeti appears not as popular, my thinking is it would just give that little more responsive drive.

Edited by Cumbria Steve

Hello and welcome. I have only driven a Yeti once and it was rather pleasant, my only issue with it was the boot space. For the cost they can be the boot space isnt very good. So as long as you don't need lots of space then it should do you nicely.

On the diesel front how are your miles racked up, is it lots of town driving or 15 mins of NSL driving? Modern diesels are now fitted with DPF's which have to get warm to work properly otherwise they clog up and you'll no end of issues with it. So they need trips of at least 45mph for 10 to 15 mins to allow them to get hot. Dealers don't seem to tell people this when you buy them....so they end up in towns and having problems.

Where are you considering buying from, I would suggest going to Deans of Dumfries or the dealer out near Workington. Myself and others have had some bad dealings with Telfords....and IMO they are getting worse, sales staff seem uninterested and service dept has left me with a number of concerns.

Anyway I hope you find the perfect car for you and enjoy it loads. I would go for the 1.2 petrol I think, unless I was needing to carry or pull a fair bit of weight, then I would go for something with a little more grunt.

Thanks Ian

Interesting Re Border cars, I had actually visited there and they seemed nice and friendly, although the fact they were hoping to get a few grand off me helps I suppose.

I agree the petrol seems the way for me regarding my usage and I have driven a 1.4tsi which was impressive.

I am struggling a bit though, I think the Yeti is a fantastic vehicle but once you go rearwards from the front seats I am not as impressed, the back seats especially feel all frame with little comfort.

I have a test drive next week of the IX35 which I have had a look at and a 'sit in', the interior comfort seemed much better all round and Edgars the dealer is well known for not the cheapest around but fantastic customer service during and after sales.

In fact when I mentioned I would like to take the car up the road for a run the salesman told me to plan a day out with the wife and take the IX35 so I can judge it properly.

5 year warranty as well, RAC cover and a decent 3 year service plan hmmmmmm... then the Yeti is heaped with praise by owners and reviewers...hence my head is spinning.