winter tyres on

domhnall

As long as it's consistently under 15, I think you'll all be fine. Bear in mind I'm probably in the warmest bit of the country ride now and mine are superb so far.

What size winters are you running? Have you stayed on 16s/17s or dropped to 15s?

I am driving through Europe (inc Autobahns!) in late December. I change to winters when temps stay below 8C for a week. Otherwise they wear out too quickly as too soft a compound for higher temps. Hence people seeing such a difference in grip on winters now lol.

Think he meant 15C

I did. My winters are on my spiders in standard size.

I am driving through Europe (inc Autobahns!) in late December. I change to winters when temps stay below 8C for a week. Otherwise they wear out too quickly as too soft a compound for higher temps. Hence people seeing such a difference in grip on winters now lol.

I was told excessive wear occurs over 15 degrees and below that is ok. As I'm assuming that these tyres last as long as summers in their equivalent temp/condition range, I'm guessing a thousand or so miles of over 8 degrees will just run them in nicely before I hit the continent in December myself. No?

From what I read in manufacturers literature +8C is the cut off point above which overheating may occur depending on your driving style. If you just totter around, do not break heavily and take roundabouts and sharp turns at snails pace you should be able to run winters all year long as they will not see any heat loads causing excessive wear.

Tu run in tyres all you need is to put them through a heat cycle roughly 3 times. Just have a spirited drive at the end of which tyres should be warm to touch, no need to go break speed limits, weave about as seen on F1 races or slide into all corners.

Heat cycling would cure the rubber and get rid all the remaining release compounds.

Sometimes 15C is quoted here in UK to promote more use of winter tyres to keep the business going. I tend to ignore what tyre shops are telling me and do my own research as it is natural for them to have a vested interest in you visiting them as often as possible, just me being cynical :).

I run Wredestein winters once for two weeks where temps shot up to 15-20C in a freak spell of weather. VW Sharan, so heave car. Tyres were shot and had to be replaced, and Sharan cannot be driven quickly through corners for the fear of tipping over lol.

Well I've been to work and back and around town for about 100 miles, so no issue there.

But I've also been to Exeter and Plymouth (200 and 120m round trips). Cruise at 60 indicated and no heavy braking. Actually got the trip to read 46mpg on the way up! You think that's alright?

I'll make sure I keep taking it easy.

I persoanly think 10C is still fine to drive normally and baby sit the tyres. Above a bit caution needed. between 15-20 drive like on egg shells lol.

Best way to use a gauge and measure thread - this way you will get solid data and not opinions :).

Also, the heavier the car the worse the damage.

In Slovakia where I'm from, u need to change your summer tyres to winter by law form 15. Nov or when is even layer of snow/ice on road during the day and suppose to change by 31. March no earlier or on end of the winter. If POLICE caught u on summer tyres u face 60 Euro penalty.

So don,t know when I will change mine yet. maybe around that time

Poland, Germany (some eastern lands at least), Hungary, Czech Republic 0 I think they all have to change for winter boots by law at certain time of the year.

yes exactly by law but different dates Slovakia 15. Now to 31.March, Czech 1. Now to 1. April, Austria 1. Now to 15. April but in

Poland, Hungary, Ukraine, Russia, Germany, Italy, Swiss, France, Belgium, Holland etc winter tyres are are not mandatory.

The bizarre think is in Germany if u stop by Police on snow on summer tyres u will get penalty, because is the responsibility of each driver to adapt his car gear winter conditions.

Poland is not yet mandatory but legislation is alredy going through the motions, so I jumped the gun a bit.

Funny thing, over 95% of road users change to winters in Poland. Some insurance companies were refusing payouts when summer tyres were on during winter...

Germany - in essence it is mandatory then if you get stopped and penalised for having wrong tyres for the season.

I am surprised Russia and Ukraine don't have it legislated. Perhaps they function on the same basis as Germany?

Fitted mine yesterday, had all the wheels off to fit coil overs anyway so thought why not lol, third time they have gone on and they still look almost new wish my summers lasted as long lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

Ummed and aaahed today and decided against putting mine on. Was 10 degrees this afternoon but 7 this morning so it really is borderline at the moment.

If it's like this next weekend I'll put them on, as I'll be heading to Derbyshire the weekend after and it's colder oop north.

From what I read in manufacturers literature +8C is the cut off point above which overheating may occur depending on your driving style. If you just totter around, do not break heavily and take roundabouts and sharp turns at snails pace you should be able to run winters all year long as they will not see any heat loads causing excessive wear.

Tu run in tyres all you need is to put them through a heat cycle roughly 3 times. Just have a spirited drive at the end of which tyres should be warm to touch, no need to go break speed limits, weave about as seen on F1 races or slide into all corners.

Heat cycling would cure the rubber and get rid all the remaining release compounds.

Sometimes 15C is quoted here in UK to promote more use of winter tyres to keep the business going. I tend to ignore what tyre shops are telling me and do my own research as it is natural for them to have a vested interest in you visiting them as often as possible, just me being cynical :).

I run Wredestein winters once for two weeks where temps shot up to 15-20C in a freak spell of weather. VW Sharan, so heave car. Tyres were shot and had to be replaced, and Sharan cannot be driven quickly through corners for the fear of tipping over lol.

This is complete rubbish. You can run winters all year round without excessive wear and over heating. Obviously the optimum performance is achieved using winters below ~7 deg C and summers above, but it is perfectly fine to run winters above these temps, even 30+. You will get increased wear at higher temps but it's not excessive.

• Like 1

I'd got mine fitted by 9:00am yesterday morning and had to clear wet snow off the windscreen to go off to my tyre fitters.

Drove briskly on the way there and could feel skitishness in the handling on damp cold roundabouts; felt much more secure and stable on the way home although roads had dried a bit by then.

No frost yet here but a chilly 2 degC early this morning; was nice and fresh for my greyhound's walk but he needed his coat on as well.

This is complete rubbish. You can run winters all year round without excessive wear and over heating. Obviously the optimum performance is achieved using winters below ~7 deg C and summers above, but it is perfectly fine to run winters above these temps, even 30+. You will get increased wear at higher temps but it's not excessive.

This is true.

Was in Marrakech this summer and noticed that alot of the cars including most taxi's have winters on.

The temp was 44-51c constantly :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: . They must be ok, (Might be the only tyres they can get but they looked fine to me).

Andy.

Edited by hollinworth2006

I am sure German Police would very much in awe of your eloquent arguments. I am sure when you tell them upon being issued an on the spot fine in Euros that them saying that you should not be running winter tires in the summer is rubbish! They may even retract that pesky ticket, you never know!

And some people wear long johns all year round! Same with winter tires. Normal (what do you consider normal is another matter) driving on winter tires above 25C will ruin the tires within 400 miles, on heavier cars quicker.

I am sure following the same logic it would be perfectly fine to run summer tires when temps go down below zero? Surely, "slight" lesser grip can be compensated for with careful driving!

I suggest you look at the names, clues are there - summer tires, winter tires, rings any bells?

Optimum performance below 7C? You obviously know nothing about tires, do you? Optimum performance will be achieved at the highest road surface temperature - simple physics 101 for you... it will last you one or two laps of a track or a 50 mile spirited drive but hey!

I honestly cannot be bothered with going into tyre compounds, wear rates depending on temperature and how actually tires are working

Just because you could not be bothered to swap your tires when they should be swapped doesn't mean you have to make up theories to back it up and throw everybody into an alternative physics universe.

But all to their own, if you want to drive around on winter tires all year round then fine, at least you will get better grip and you local tyre shop will be very happy with your repeat business :)

This is true.

Was in Marrakech this summer and noticed that alot of the cars including most taxi's have winters on.

The temp was 44-51c constantly :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: . They must be ok, (Might be the only tyres they can get but they looked fine to me).

Andy.

Sure, millions of flies eat $hite, they must be right!

I'd got mine fitted by 9:00am yesterday morning and had to clear wet snow off the windscreen to go off to my tyre fitters.

Drove briskly on the way there and could feel skitishness in the handling on damp cold roundabouts; felt much more secure and stable on the way home although roads had dried a bit by then.

No frost yet here but a chilly 2 degC early this morning; was nice and fresh for my greyhound's walk but he needed his coat on as well.

You see, that is the problem with winter tires. Top quality summer rubber can perform better to certain temps than budget winter boots...

Hi Jabozuma

Nice polite reply, by the way.

I am sure German Police would very much in awe of your eloquent arguments. I am sure when you tell them upon being issued an on the spot fine in Euros that them saying that you should not be running winter tires in the summer is rubbish! They may even retract that pesky ticket, you never know!

Lets try to deal in facts shall we, instead of posting fiction like above.

Fact - you will not get excessive wear and overheating by running winter tyres all year round.

So over to you....

Hi Jabozuma

Nice polite reply, by the way.

Lets try to deal in facts shall we, instead of posting fiction like above.

Fact - you will not get excessive wear and overheating by running winter tyres all year round.

So over to you....

What was fictional in my post? The fact that when stopped in Germany summertime and found driving on winters you will be given on the spot penalty? Half of my family lives there so I tend to know those things I suppose:).

Polite? You pal started from crying "rubbish" not me, may wish to re think that statement.

Fact? What fact? You just made a statement...

Try finding answers to few simple questions below:

1. What is causing a tyre to wear off

2. How is temperature generated in a tyre

3. Answering the two above try to compare build and rubber compounds of winter and summer tires.

When you find factual answers to the above, not just making statements backed by your experience (I but assume here) that one can run winter tires all year round.

For the future, when you "rubbish" somebody's posts make you sure you have your hard data at hand or be prepared to be schooled and apologise.