Clattering?

MikeW

I hear a type of "Clattering" sometimes when doing energetic gear changes, There is also some vibration through the clutch pedal at the same frequencey. I think its just dampening etc in noise/vibrations that they have cut back on to save the buyer money

• Like 1

What I think you are all experiencing is just gears meshing. Its a cheap car the Citigo, so sound deadening is minimal and engine casing is alloy so youll hear more noise. I bet it dissapears at higher revs?

I was surprised by the noises the one I drove made, non I felt alarming just normal noises you dont normally hear. Dont forget its a European make, my wifes Pug 107 with Toyota mechanicals is silent compared to the Citigo!

I've seen one or two reviews around that refer to a "rattly drve train".

• 3 months later...

Have just been on the Up! owners website and there are people on there still complaining about the noisy gearbox issue,seems to have died down on this site.Are Citigoers more happy with their cars than the VW crowd?.

Have just been on the Up! owners website and there are people on there still complaining about the noisy gearbox issue,seems to have died down on this site.Are Citigoers more happy with their cars than the VW crowd?.

No we just realise it is a value for money car with cost cutting in the manufacturing. Probably nothing to worry about, just down to lack of sound proofing more than anything.

VW up! owners probably want more for their money :happy:

• 11 months later...

I can hear this clattering noise when starting from cold, it mutes when the clutch is depressed and sometimes when changing gear releasing the clutch theres a noticeable knock/clang/clatter - hard to describe, usually happens if I let the clutch up a bit sharply. The manual does say that these engines are noisier before the engine warms up. Any cause for alarm? Clutch and gearbox work fine though. 

My previous sport model also made the same noises, perhpas just a characteristic of the Citigo? When you start your cars this morning open the window and listen then press the clutch in to see how common this clatter is. 

Edited by VRSD30

The clatter you could hear at idle sometimes is related to drivetrain. Gearbox or clutch. It's occasional. Maybe related to 3 cyl. engine as it hardly ever run smoothly. My clatter have decreased quite a lot now when engine is idle more often than summer. As it's so cold here (-10 to -16c), start&stop system hardly ever shut the engine.

The other sound is more like chatter. When you push the throttle hard while driving on very low revs (high gear and low revs at the same time). To me it sounds like engine knocking (pinging or pinking). There is knocking sensors in the engine, at least VCDS shows there is. It's still better change lower gear or release the throttle a bit (if possible) when you hear slight chattering.

Edited by Emil