Clattering?

MikeW

Noticed something about my Citigo 60ps Elegance Greentech recently,

It has a bit of a clattering sound. It dissapears when the clutch is pushed down, so i don't think it's engine related.

It's always done it so it doesn't really worry me.

However, just recently i've noticed that the clatter is very noisy when the car is in 5th gear and the accelerator is pressed down, this is anywhere in the 1,800 to 3,000 rev range.

Not sure why it has has just started doing it at this rev range and in this gear. I thought maybe it was because i was changing gear too early, but it never used to do it.

Anybody else's do it or has anyone got any ideas about what it might be?

Personally I don't think any new car should have any noise that causes alarm to the occupant.

If it is noticeably worse at a particular speed or combination of gear and engine revs and

If you can reliably replicate the noise then you should take it to the dealer and demonstrate it to a technician NOT a salesperson.

• Like 1

It has a bit of a clattering sound. It dissapears when the clutch is pushed down, so i don't think it's engine related.

However, just recently i've noticed that the clatter is very noisy when the car is in 5th gear and the accelerator is pressed down, this is anywhere in the 1,800 to 3,000 rev range.

Not sure why it has has just started doing it at this rev range and in this gear. I thought maybe it was because i was changing gear too early, but it never used to do it.

It's a new car it's bedding ,however if its bothering you take it to the stealers check it out :) your going to get many different sounds when new because your hearing will become very sensitive to any noises

• Like 1

Possibly because whatever is vibrating/rattling is getting worse.

I'd want it checked out sooner rather than later in case the failure of something causes more damage, meaning more time off the road.

• Like 1

Possibly because whatever is vibrating/rattling is getting worse.

I'd want it checked out sooner rather than later in case the failure of something causes more damage, meaning more time off the road.

Yes, i've tried to see if it would go away on it's own for a few days but i'm inclined to agree with you.

I don't think it's the engine, thankfully, as it doesn't do when the clutch is depressed, i'm leaning towards transmission, but i'm not a mechanic!

Edited by MikeW

Be careful how you describe the problem to your dealer, if you give an indication that its been doing it for a long time they may try to wriggle out of warranty claims by telling you that you made it worse by continuing to use the vehicle with a known defect.

• Like 2

Be careful how you describe the problem to your dealer, if you give an indication that its been doing it for a long time they may try to wriggle out of warranty claims by telling you that you made it worse by continuing to use the vehicle with a known defect.

Yes, a good point, i've just phoned then up to book it in and said that it started to make the noise in 5th gear during the week as this is true.

I've always had clanging type noises too which I thought sound like the exchaust and it's quite noisy when changing gear (the gear change noises don't sound wrong, i'm just not used to hearing the mecahnics of the gearbox I think), I was hoping that this would fade once I've got a few miles on it. Additionally the gears are pretty clunky and normally doesn't like going into first gear first time, I was hoping this too would fix over time. I've done almost 2500 miles since collecting it 2 weeks ago. I remember the gears being really smooth when I test drove the Up and I was on the understanding the gearboxes are identical... Should I be concerned about my new car?

• Like 1

I was driving a Citigo dealer demonstrator (Ambition model) for about a week and like you say immediately on first switch on in the morning there was a clattering sound from the gear box area. It would go within about a minute. It seemed that the car would have been resting and cold for it to happen. Like you it went completely when clutch was depressed. Didn't happen at all except in that circumstance. Just picked up my Elegance 60bhp today. No noises at all heard and gears are fine. I will listen for it when I start up in the morning and let you know.

• Like 1

I was driving a Citigo dealer demonstrator (Ambition model) for about a week and like you say immediately on first switch on in the morning there was a clattering sound from the gear box area. It would go within about a minute. It seemed that the car would have been resting and cold for it to happen. Like you it went completely when clutch was depressed. Didn't happen at all except in that circumstance. Just picked up my Elegance 60bhp today. No noises at all heard and gears are fine. I will listen for it when I start up in the morning and let you know.

Interesting, thanks.

Mine always clatters a bit with the clutch out, Doesn't when it's in,

However, this last week, like i said earlier, it's started making a loud clatter in 5th gear under accleration. This is the one i'm worried about is it's an irregular differnet noise if you know what i mean.

I've always had clanging type noises too which I thought sound like the exchaust and it's quite noisy when changing gear (the gear change noises don't sound wrong, i'm just not used to hearing the mecahnics of the gearbox I think), I was hoping that this would fade once I've got a few miles on it. Additionally the gears are pretty clunky and normally doesn't like going into first gear first time, I was hoping this too would fix over time. I've done almost 2500 miles since collecting it 2 weeks ago. I remember the gears being really smooth when I test drove the Up and I was on the understanding the gearboxes are identical... Should I be concerned about my new car?

I really wish i knew whether you should be worried. My gut feeling is no though. Mine clangs a fair bit when i change gear sometimes, but it never fails to change properly.

Well, started new car for first time from cold over night. No clatter or perhaps rattle is the word from the gear box immediately after start, unlike demonstrator mentioned earlier. The slightest change in tone if I depress the clutch, which is usual with cars. Did return trip to coast, about 80 miles. Gear box performed flawlessly. I think you should not have unusual noises and should pursue it with the dealer.

Edit: I have also since found that once the engine is warmed up the very slight change in tone when the clutch is pressed when the engine is cold is even less when warm. Barely perceptible and perfectly normal. For MikeW......there are absolutely no noises other than what I have described full stop. So for some reason not all cars are the same and it is strange the garage cars are all exhibiting your type noise. My car is a week 38 build. Might there have been a modification?

What I describe is definitely related to the clutch/gear box.

• Like 1

Well, started new car for first time from cold over night. No clatter or perhaps rattle is the word from the gear box immediately after start, unlike demonstrator mentioned earlier. The slightest change in tone if I depress the clutch, which is usual with cars. Did return trip to coast, about 80 miles. Gear box performed flawlessly. I think you should not have unusual noises and should pursue it with the dealer.

Thanks for the information. Taking my car in to the dealers on Tuesday, hopefully they'll be able to find out what the issue it. Don't really feel like driving the car at the moment in case i'm doing damage to it.

• Like 1

Clattering when accelerating sounds like the Timing to me, especially if it is only noticable when accelerating (under load) and can't be heard when revving the engine when the car is stationary (not under load).

Worth getting it checked at the Dealers.

Edited by bertie1
  • Like 1

This seems to be happening with mine. More of a low pitch grating noise. I've heard that type of noise before on other cars I've owned or driven. When the clutch pedal is depressed, no noise. I don't think mine is anything to worry about, I think normal. But if anything changes, like it gets louder with more miles on the clock then it will be back at the dealers.

I didn't even hear it until reading this thread and listening to the car today whilst moving it on the drive, so not a worry yet.

I don't get any noise when changing gear either. What is more noticable is the throaty rasp from the engine, especially when accelerating in lower gears. Again this is normal from reading various threads on the subject.

Mick

Kust got it back from the dealers. They were thorough with my "clattering" noise. They even took out a couple of other Citigo's in the dealers to compare, and they all seemed to make a similar noise.

The dealers said it was probably something to do with the exhaust manifold, but seeing as it's such a new type of car all they could do was get me to monitor it and get back to them if it gets any worse.

The guy also said if it was a manifold issue it would probably come and go.

Kust got it back from the dealers. They were thorough with my "clattering" noise. They even took out a couple of other Citigo's in the dealers to compare, and they all seemed to make a similar noise.

The dealers said it was probably something to do with the exhaust manifold, but seeing as it's such a new type of car all they could do was get me to monitor it and get back to them if it gets any worse.

The guy also said if it was a manifold issue it would probably come and go.

Check out my edited post #15 above Mike.

What I have on mine and more noticeable when the engine is still warming up is a rumble/rattle sound when the stop/start system is in operation. That is just after the engine has re started, it then seems to fade away and all is normal.

Anyone else notice this? There doesn't seem to be a noise if I start or stop the engine on the key, only when the stop/start is activated. After the engine has warmed up the sound is less noticable.

Having never driven a car with this function before I don't know what to expect re noises etc.

Mick

Edited by MickA
  • Like 1

I experience a bit of clattering in 5th gear as well. Mainly when accelerating and especially at relatively low revs or when going uphill, but also at higher speeds. It's not nearly loud enough to cause alarm, though, and if it (hopefully) doesn't get significantly worse I'll attribute it to being one of those things to expect from a low priced car.

Edited by Rothbard
  • Like 1

What I think you are all experiencing is just gears meshing. Its a cheap car the Citigo, so sound deadening is minimal and engine casing is alloy so youll hear more noise. I bet it dissapears at higher revs?

I was surprised by the noises the one I drove made, non I felt alarming just normal noises you dont normally hear. Dont forget its a European make, my wifes Pug 107 with Toyota mechanicals is silent compared to the Citigo!

To add to this, if it still sounds noisy at higher evs then a check of gearbox oil could be needed.

As for noises coming from the manifold.... what a load of old tosh that mechanic said! The only noise a manifold can make is blowing!