ARGH! Dead engine!

My MkII golfs were a hell of a lot easier to fiddle with. Even though one was a G60 and therefore had a supercharger, I still managed to work out how to unbolt it all for reconditioning and get it back on.

...AND it drove fine without those two extra bolts I was left with on the rebuild until I did it all again and worked out where they were from!! :giggle:

Spoke to Suk about t/chain tensioner on my 2011 vrs . They said they know about issues but couldn't say if mine is fitted with upgraded part. Only way to find out is to strip engine at my own cost as car is running fine and has no issues. I said surely if you know about issues skoda should be making sure it doesn't happen to all cars. Again car us running fine so it is not a warranty issue. If it wasn't running fine the engine would be dead. Itheir reply" I'm sorry Mr S. your car is running ok I can't help you. Should have stuck with the rice rockets I think

Spoke to Suk about t/chain tensioner on my 2011 vrs . They said they know about issues but couldn't say if mine is fitted with upgraded part. Only way to find out is to strip engine at my own cost as car is running fine and has no issues. I said surely if you know about issues skoda should be making sure it doesn't happen to all cars. Again car us running fine so it is not a warranty issue. If it wasn't running fine the engine would be dead. Itheir reply" I'm sorry Mr S. your car is running ok I can't help you. Should have stuck with the rice rockets I think

I see a lot of letters to VOSA about this. It could leave you with no power in the fast lane which is dangerous. Personally i think it's recall time.

Remember everyone if it goes within 6 years, just sue the supplying dealer for the new engine and accept nothing less than free or a court date. You do have rights.

• Like 2

I see a lot of letters to VOSA about this. It could leave you with no power in the fast lane which is dangerous. Personally i think it's recall time.

Remember everyone if it goes within 6 years, just sue the supplying dealer for the new engine and accept nothing less than free or a court date. You do have rights.

Agreed. Manufacturers get off too easily with things like this and unfortunately having someone complain to customer services means nothing to them - it has no bite. They can quite happily wheel customer service representatives in front of you (metaphorically speaking) and essentially keep you at bay. What really gets noticed is court appearances and bad press.

Small claims courts are easy to use and very cost effective.

Personally I'm annoyed at VAG as a whole as things like this simply shouldn't happen. Galvanised cars shouldn't rust, ABS pumps shouldn't fail (and get replaced for free on Audi and VW but not on Seat and Skoda). alignment should not be way out as the car leaves the factory, windows shouldn't fall out, steering racks shouldn't fail after 20k, etc etc. And the manufacturer keeps on doing it....why? Because they can as long as people keep buying their cars, and they do in their droves as they're quite pretty, "feel" well put together and the engines aren't bad when they're not broken.

How long did it take before VAG sorted out the injector issue on 2.0 PD's? That took VOSA to step in as they'd already dealt with it in the states but fobbed the UK market off as we're somehow different......smaller perhaps?. And even then the dealers had a nasty tendency of making a hash of the job when they did do it.

• Like 1

Agreed. Manufacturers get off too easily with things like this and unfortunately having someone complain to customer services means nothing to them - it has no bite. They can quite happily wheel customer service representatives in front of you (metaphorically speaking) and essentially keep you at bay. What really gets noticed is court appearances and bad press.

Small claims courts are easy to use and very cost effective.

Personally I'm annoyed at VAG as a whole as things like this simply shouldn't happen. Galvanised cars shouldn't rust, ABS pumps shouldn't fail (and get replaced for free on Audi and VW but not on Seat and Skoda). alignment should not be way out as the car leaves the factory, windows shouldn't fall out, steering racks shouldn't fail after 20k, etc etc. And the manufacturer keeps on doing it....why? Because they can as long as people keep buying their cars, and they do in their droves as they're quite pretty, "feel" well put together and the engines aren't bad when they're not broken.

How long did it take before VAG sorted out the injector issue on 2.0 PD's? That took VOSA to step in as they'd already dealt with it in the states but fobbed the UK market off as we're somehow different......smaller perhaps?. And even then the dealers had a nasty tendency of making a hash of the job when they did do it.

We're different because in the us they ask once then sue or even just sue if it affected them.

We just roll over and pay up.

They know the uk is a soft touch.

Skoda do offer 100% goodwill on the ABS G201 repairs providing you meet the criteria. Same as Audi and VW.

Fair enough, but they didn't up front when they started to happen. They're now doing the right thing on that.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

So why are writing about it on this forum when we should all be writing to vosa or the national press about the problems.

Skoda UK watch this forum trust me i know lol.

they are a bunch of crooks quite frankly and i would NEVER recommend Skoda to anyone, as for this TSI issue absolute joke, VOSA, the press watchdog etc need involved about these cars, as Chrispy has said steering racks, rust, dodgy wheel alignment, wiper motors, etc these items shouldnt fail on a car thats in my case less than 3 years old at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I have no experience with the new range of VAG cars, the last VW I owned was a 5 door W reg burgundy Golf GLS for anybody who can remember that far back! Lol Since then I have always gone the Japanese route.

I currently own a Lexus IS250 which I find juicy to say the least. After doing some research looking for what I would call an all rounder that could still put a smile on my face. I decided on a Skoda Octavia VRS specifically the later TSI because I had read VAG had made improvements on the older TFSI engine. All the reviews and reports I have read to date sounded quite encouraging and I was looking forward to test driving one.

The point is I wanted to show my appreciation for the honest comments made on this forum from actual owners. All of your contributions have made me realise that for all the reviews from journalist you can read there’s nothing like getting it from the horse’s mouth. I will definitely still go ahead a test drive one but TBH I am seriously having second thoughts about owning one.

I think it’s a real shame and it gets under my skin that companies like VAG can still make a profit despite poor performances and customer service when they potentially have a very good product.