Fitting new mudflaps - help appreciated

mikespike

Loving my new Yeti, which is very much living up to my high expectation - but the first trip on muddy lanes showed that mudflaps are necessary.

Not wanting to pay £60 for fitting, I ordered them from a Skoda Dealer (so they are genuine) on ebay.

Now I am wondering - do I need any 'special' tools, or will an allen key do? A friend is coming to fit them for me - and he was asking me what tools he should bring, or whether I had all the tools he would need? I only have a 'domestic' tool kit, and nothing specifically 'auto'. (but he has)

One web site i looked at said that the job was much easier if the wheels are removed. Really dont want to do that!

Any other tips for fitting them?

Edited by mikespike

You will need a Torx bit to remove the screws (it's around T20 / 25 ish...) and if they are like the Superb then a small (around 4 or 5mm) hole needs to be drilled into the plastic arch liner to fir the plastic clip, really easy to do with the wheels on (providing the Torx screwdriver is short enough... I have a set of Torx sockets which I use) you will need to put full steering lock on to give you the clearance to drill the holes mind.

No need to remove wheels..very easy to fit the mudflaps with wheels on.

Be warned allen keys do not work...you need a torx key

Not sure why you had to drill holes in yours....mine needed no new holes.

Edited by musso

They look to be slightly different on the Yeti then, on the Superb there is an additional fixing on the innermost part of the flap on the fronts, sounds like the Yeti only uses the OE screws already there, in this case it will be a piece of cake!

• Like 1

A small ratchet driver for the Torx makes life really easy. As Musso says no need to remove the wheels and at the front you can get clearance by turning the steering.

Mine is very similar to this. ....and cheap and cheerful

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11pc-offset-ratchet-screwdriver-set-pozi-hex-phillips-torx-flat-TE451-/140737846242?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item20c4a11be2&_uhb=1

A small ratchet driver for the Torx makes life really easy. As Musso says no need to remove the wheels and at the front you can get clearance by turning the steering.

Mine is very similar to this. ....and cheap and cheerful

http://www.ebay.co.u...c4a11be2&_uhb=1

Thanks for this Before I order the recommended Torx rachet set, does anyone know - is one of the 2 supplied torx keys ( T15 / T20) the correct size for the mudflaps job?

Edited by mikespike

T25 is the one....so you might need to search Ebay a bit more

http://www.ebay.co.u...c6f7a3cd&_uhb=1

I suggest you trawl to get a set with the bit included. Machine Mart is good value usually and handy if local

Have ordered a set with T25 included. Cheers.

As always on this forum - thank you to the helpful members!

Edited by mikespike

Be careful when re-attaching the Torx screws. They screw into some soft plugs behind the sheetmetal. The maximum torques are noted on the original Skoda instructions in the plastic bags containing the flaps.

DO NOT EXCEED this torque, or you will be loosening the plugs.