4G or 3G version of Samsung Galaxy SIII?

Buster

Orange now have the LTE (4G version) of the Samsung Galaxy SIII, whereas O2 only have the 3G version. Was going to upgrade to the SIII on O2, but now comtemplating goign for the LTE version on Orange, so I have 4G if I decide to go on an EE tariff. Current contracts for £36 are pretty much identical.

Worth doing or just go for the 3G version?

Would I be obliged to go on to EE's 4G contract, or be able to give it a year and see if it is any good and the prices come down?

Stay with the 3G version for the time being the 4G (EE) is only going to be available in the major towns & cities for the foreseeable future, so the 3G version would be the best bet.

Also if you have a look at the EE tariffs you can quiet easily go through the base tariff data allowance in less than 10 mins & the cost goes up at an exponential rate with higher levels of data usage.

I agree don't bother with 4g yet, wait for a couple of years first till the network is properly up and running and the price goes down. Also read an article saying 4g drains batteries really quickly, dunno how true it is

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

3G speeds using the new protocol are getting very close to the lower end of 4G performance anyway, plus the added bonus of more coverage, longer battery life (for at least the next 18 months until 4G coverage is expanded), and no problems taking voice calls (4G cannot handle voice and so the phone has to drop back to 3G anyway!!!)

4G and 3G have nothing to do with voice, its data only. Voice is handled using GSM the same way it always has been since the advent of digital handsets.

The EE 4G version of the S3 will not be compatible with the O2 version as the 4G for O2 will be running in a different frequency range. The UK in its infinite wisdom has decided to adopt a non standard frequency for the majority of its 4G services, with the exception being EE. This means that every phone maker will have to make a version compatible with the UK system and as such may well not give you any 4G coverage elsewhere in europe.

• Like 1

4G and 3G have nothing to do with voice, its data only. Voice is handled using GSM the same way it always has been since the advent of digital handsets.

The EE 4G version of the S3 will not be compatible with the O2 version as the 4G for O2 will be running in a different frequency range. The UK in its infinite wisdom has decided to adopt a non standard frequency for the majority of its 4G services, with the exception being EE. This means that every phone maker will have to make a version compatible with the UK system and as such may well not give you any 4G coverage elsewhere in europe.

Of course being unique, that means the handsets will be more expensive. Good old rip off Britain. :devil: