Turbo noise.. wait, not a hiss.. (with Vid)

Rob.

Awwwwwwwww Squirrel Nuts!

The noise kinda went away, or smoothed out, or I got used to it...

but now, IT'S BACK! And angrier :( .. the link below is a vid for the noise.. I think I sucked up a ghost.

http://www.flickr.co...N05/8557174142/

Sam pointed this vid out, that WAS a fubar, (below)

..So, Would you lot agree my noise is an early stage of the blue one?

If so.. Should I drive it? :(

Could it be the EGR? I've pretty much ruled out a boost leak due to doing it when stationary.. Was that silly?

Edited by Rob.

You're referring to my video, Yeah?.. the link on flickr, not the blue one on Youtube (huh, clutching at straws).. But yeah, the more "blown turbos" I hear.. the more it sinks in my 88K (YES, 88K, serviced every year before 10k, idled before turned off and never booted in 5th or 6th from low down in the rev range) unit has started it's final spool.

We don't think it might be the EGR?

Think I'll write to Skoda.. Seems a bit early even for a 9yr old.

Well after speaking to Turbo Dynamics they reckon this noise is the impellars. Apparently a way to test it is by taking off the intake pipe and seeing if there's movement inside the turbo.

If there is movement inside the turbo, I'm assuming it means either:

1. I have a faulty turbo

2. Bits travelled around the system when the last turbo popped and the garage didn't clean it properly or

3. Something has travelled into the turbo from when the pipes were split

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's time to sell the Fabia as I've spent far too much money on this car. If I take the turbo off and send it back under warranty, it makes me wonder if they'll blame it on something getting into it, which will set me back another turbo cost!!

If you have any other thoughts or recommendations, it would be much appreciated, as this'll be decision time on keeping the car.

if you do sell the fabia you may end up in the same situation with your next car unless you buy new ....

also if the turbo does die i would take it back to the garage that fitted it . if its their fault the turbo died .... i.e. not cleaning pipes and intercooler etc... properly they should fix it ....

• 2 weeks later...

Mine makes this noise mate when cold in the morning. After its warmed up it is fine. No problems at all no horrible noise like the one mentioned in the video above. (Y)

Well, it goes off too shark on a flat bed tomorrow (not taking any chances with turbo runaway)...

Only thing I would say to you specifically is... I'll post what they find, as mine "only did it when cold" 3k ago, and didn't do it at all 10k ago. ... Then, suddenly, it changed to the 2nd vid I posted.. Louder, constant and with that kinda, I dunno.. Burp on the down spool. It STILL drives fine, (Dan will vouch for the performance not being effected) not even any excessive smoke as far as I've seen... That vid was straight after an hour on the motorway... so toasty and warm!

(it's coming in quite handy sharing a house with someone who owns the same car, lol...).. Dans Turbo is almost silent and he's on 96k!!

• 5 months later...

My turbo made a really really loud police siren noise, cold or warm, you could here it over all the engine noises and even my loud mufflerectomy. Changed the turbo to a PD150, the garage inspected the turbo and they said it was completely fine, no play whatsoever. I thought the siren noise was down to the bearings ****ting themselves so therefore you wouldn't be able to tell even if there was play in the shaft?