Best cloth for glass/windscreen

Guest George512

Guest George512

Can anyone recommend a cloth that's good for cleaning glass (particularly windscreen)?

Microfibres are good but in direct sunlight they tend to leave lots of tiny little glittery/shiny particles that are really annoying!

Despite having most types of car cleaning and detailing products, inside window cleaning is still something I still use newspaper or kitchen towel for.

Anything else, such as an MF and I've found the same as you - it leaves behind bits. Even when you think it looks OK; annoying!

I thought about asking the same question about a month ago, but thought it was too silly.

Just goes to show, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

I drive into low sun to and from work and it's a real pain trying to look past all the sparklies, and the more I cleaned the screen the worse it was getting, so thanks all.

If you want something to clean glass I would of thought the same style of cloth you would use to clean your glasses would be ideal (only bigger of course) but I've found paper kitchen towels work just fine. Microfibres are probably find too if you get the right kind of weave, the fluffy ones will obviously be terrible.

Edited by ckyliu

Guest George512

Thanks for the great tips chaps. I shall get hold of some paper towel type things then.

Oh and I also use AG Fast Glass Cleaner :)

Despite having most types of car cleaning and detailing products, inside window cleaning is still something I still use newspaper or kitchen towel for.

Anything else, such as an MF and I've found the same as you - it leaves behind bits. Even when you think it looks OK; annoying!

You cheap git Steve..........;)

The best cloths for getting your windows clean inside and out and not leaving any fluff behind are the following:

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/elite-wonder-glass-polishing-towel.php?cPath=64

Or if your feeling flush then this is a similar product:

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/dodo-juice-mint-merkin-waffle-weave-glass-towel.php?cPath=64

You cheap git Steve.......... ;)

Haha, afternoon Mr Baker - long time no see :)

Now you know that's not true! And I have tried a range of different MFs before, across a varying quality/budget range! But I tended to find that it had left a pattern on the screen, usually only noticeable the day after cleaning which was really helpful :|

Will have a closer look at your suggestions though B)

• Like 1

Haha, afternoon Mr Baker - long time no see :)

Now you know that's not true! And I have tried a range of different MFs before, across a varying quality/budget range! But I tended to find that it had left a pattern on the screen, usually only noticeable the day after cleaning which was really helpful :|

Will have a closer look at your suggestions though B)

I am still lurking around in here buddy...........:)

Worth a try these cloths, I personally haven't been disappointed with them...........:)

I clean with AG Fast Glass and these MFs:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microfibre-cloths/eurow-shag-pile-double-density-towels/prod_436.html

Then always have at least 1 or 2 of them in the car to clean internally when it get's a bit hazy. In my experience, these have never left any bits or threads behind.

About 10 years ago I bought twenty large trade glasses cleaning cloths (12"x10") from Calotherm directly. You can probably still get them direct (even though not advertised but they are the same as these ones:

http://www.three-sixty.org.uk/spectacle-accessories/lens-cloths/calotherm-professional-microfibre-cloths.html

They start life as glasses cloths and camera lens cleaners. Then move them onto LCD panels and TV screens. Then onto - well anything else really, but especially car windows inside and out along with FastGlass.

I rinse them by hand in cold water to remove the bulk of any cleaning products then just run them through a cotton wash in the machine and they are as good as new.

Anyone any ideas how to stop the build up of that mucky grease on the inside of the windscreen in the first place? An interior RainX would be great :-)

Thanks for the link, those look ideal.

On the inside of the windscreen, I might try some anti-fog treatment? Can't say I have a big problem with that though; probably clean the inside of the windscreen every 2 months or so? Not sure if that's more or less than others though :)