"VCDS" for iPad

PDIBK

Hi. I've read a lot about VCDS and assumed it was a special box of some sort, but now know it is a Windows programme allowing you to interrogate the settings in your car.

Is there an iPad equivalent and how would you connect to your Skoda?

Thanks.

There is a way to do it on "i" devices I believe but it requires a much more expensive wifi OBD adapter unlike the android versions that require a very inexpensive bluetooth adapter.

And even then the functionality is limited.

Phil

Right, so the HEX box shown on that link Gizmo, does that plug into your ECU and then "feed" you data?

I have a desktop, but rarely use it now (but it might be an excuse to use it...).

How much is VCDS then?

Right, so the HEX box shown on that link Gizmo, does that plug into your ECU and then "feed" you data?

I have a desktop, but rarely use it now (but it might be an excuse to use it...).

How much is VCDS then?

The full fat (HEX+CAN) VCDS is around £260.

No idea how much VCDS-Mobile is going to be as of yet as they are still testing it pre production, this I imagine will plug into the OBD port via a patch lead?

Until it is closer to the release of it we are all in the dark a bit about it, I would imagine it will cost more than the current interface though.

Gizmo, you are correct. We have not released pricing as we are still working out the details on it. We are trying to have product release in first quarter 2013. It will be more expensive than the VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN interface but at this point I cannot say how much more. Field testing is beginning on product. Do watch the web page for further updates (http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-mobile/index.html). Last update on that page was 2 weeks ago - you can see a photo of the pre-production units that are going out for field tests at the bottom of the page.

More expensive than the vcds cable???????/, goodness me!!!!

Gizmo, you are correct. We have not released pricing as we are still working out the details on it. We are trying to have product release in first quarter 2013. It will be more expensive than the VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN interface but at this point I cannot say how much more. Field testing is beginning on product. Do watch the web page for further updates (http://www.ross-tech...bile/index.html). Last update on that page was 2 weeks ago - you can see a photo of the pre-production units that are going out for field tests at the bottom of the page.

• 3 months later...

I'm wondering if there is any update regarding the release of VCDS Mobile ??

Ps Had to laugh at the Gendan.co.uk site (UK distributor for VCDS cables) today - full fat cable was £264.95, now reduced to............. £263.00 ! Form an orderly queue now ladies and gents!

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with the cost of a genuine VCDS cable, it's not just the bit of wire and software you're getting its the fantastic support from Rosstech themselves too.

The interesting thing about the VCDS mobile is the fact that you can use anything with "wifi and a modern browser", so not just your tiny screened iPhone but your iPad, iPad mini etc etc etc. I am now tempted to wait for this even though the cost may be more.

I was thinking exactly the same last year, iPad mini and VCDS mobile, however I am not sure that I would want to trust changing adaptations wirelessly, so will probably stick with my HEX+CAN interface…. maybe :giggle:

I was thinking exactly the same last year, iPad mini and VCDS mobile, however I am not sure that I would want to trust changing adaptations wirelessly, so will probably stick with my HEX+CAN interface…. maybe :giggle:

Yeah that had crossed my mind. I guess the testing phase they are doing now should iron out any issues......hopefully!!

Work are replacing all our corporate PCs and the new ones are totally locked down so will need to either buy a laptop myself (only have a imac) to use my current vcds cable

Depending on the iPad vcds version cost when it comes out I may get this instead.

Of course those scared of using wireless for coding changes and adaptation must realise that most dealers are doing it that way these days as the official VAG kit now uses a wireless interface.

I know when Škoda Assist came out that his VAS was cabled and IIRC so was the ODIS machine?

ATEOTD with a wireless device I suppose the worst thing that could happen is the coding was not saved so you were back to square 1.

My main reason for changing would be for the speed of the iPad mini over my netbook, but I will be waiting until I have seen the full version running and the prices are released before making a decision to see if it will be a worthwhile upgrade for ME, as the fact that it is wireless would not be a reason for me to change,

by the time the HEX-NET interface is released the iPad mini will also hopefully of been updated as well.

Of course those scared of using wireless for coding changes and adaptation must realise that most dealers are doing it that way these days as the official VAG kit now uses a wireless interface.

True, but if it goes wrong whilst the dealer is doing something, the dealer will have to fix it. If something goes wrong when "one of us" is doing something, it could be quite costly.

Given how often my phone fails to send or receive bluetooth files I'd wince every time I made a any coding changes.

Hopefully there's a failsafe check on the dongle that the data stream is complete before sending up the odb socket?

Hopefully there's a failsafe check on the dongle that the data stream is complete before sending up the odb socket?

It's the only logic that should be applied! I think the geniuses are all over that idea.....

The new interface (HEX-NET) has much more compute power built into the head unit. As I understand it - and I am really on the periphery of the project - the compute functions are all in the head unit and the only thing being sent by wifi is screen data. So in effect the browser on the human interface is just presenting information. The control and the action is all done in the HEX-NET. Present day VCDS has much of the compute function in the Windows based PC. Big difference here...

So, the work is continuing. Production lines are being pumped up.. Forward motion is happening. But, it ain't going as fast as you or we would like.

Ross-Tech will not release the product until we are certain it is solid - like all other VCDS product has been. Please just hang in there.

And before you ask - no, I do not have pricing... too many things moving so quickly that we are not ready to set prices. The best place to watch for information on VCDS Mobile/HEX-NET is: http://www.ross-tech...bile/index.html

Edited by bearthebruce
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know if the mobile unit plugs straight into the port or is there a cable adapter?

Edited by CmB