Time for tyres and......

kibby

Doing some research for a new front set of tyres to be shortly followed by a rear set.

Currently have the original Dunlop SP Sport 01's which well satisfied with (grip,noise,tyre life)

Was a long term Michelin man (not the podgy Michelin Man one lol), The Michelin Primacy 3 when looking at the recent new tyre labelling info look as good if not better in performance and at a similar price to the Dunlops.

Anyone had any experience of them?

When I use the on line tyre selectors were you input your cars reg number it in most cases comes up with

225/50/17 98V when I though the correct spec was 94W. Has the Skoda spec changed or are they trying to extract

some extra cash by overspecing?

Edited by kibby

Really more interested if the spec 98V of benefit and/or the right spec (recently changed by Skoda for example)

Edited by kibby

Then don't waste our time wittering about being "ripped off" because it completely changes the emphasis of your post.

:think:

Really more interested if the spec 98V of benefit and/or the right spec (recently changed by Skoda for example)

Kibby - i dont think its a case of a spec change with Skoda - I think its more than likely as simple as thats the load rating thats produced by most manufacturers in that size. That spec youve found will obviously give you more overhead in terms of the weight you carry and the top speed the vehicle can safely maintain - Im led to believe that due to the slightly higher load rating, the sidewalls may be slightly stiffer. Have a look to see if the tyre has a non 'XL' version - sometimes the XL (eXtra Load) tyres have a 94 equivalent for a few £ cheaper.

Then don't waste our time wittering about being "ripped off" because it completely changes the emphasis of your post.

Think that is a tad harsh, that's not the impression I got from reading it and feel op was only asking for advice. Chill man :bearhug:

I had the Dunlop spo 1 from new, they did an admirable 36k miles, I then had Bridgestone Potenzas fitted, really good in the dry and marginally better in the wet than the Dunlop BUT, they are soft, 25k miles from the second set, also noted that the Dunlop wear pattern was even and flat across all four tyres, the Bridgestone's tend to wear tapered towards the outside edge. I also noticed they exaggerate the strange phenomenon experience from the rears when going over a bump when on 17" rims, it is as though the rear of the car moves across a little, some on here will know what I mean.

to sum up I would have the Dunlop's again but Leaseplan choose my tyres and Bridgestone's must be be cheap! On load rating I got a puncture in August and Kwik Fit replaced the punctured tyre with a different rating to the others, can't say I have noticed any difference.

Skoda Uk website shows 1.2 TSI SE and SE plus (presuming thats what you have as the lower spec cars are on 16 inch wheels) as having 225/50/r17 94W as standard, not the 98 V you have mentioned.I have tried online calculators aswell and come up with differences.Go with any tyre you like but keep the same recomendations as what your car came with.All the info is located on the tyre, including speed and load ratings.Generaly you should stick to what the manufacturer reccomends for summer tyres however for winter tyres you have a bit more leway with regards speed rating only. Load rating should always be the same or higher than standard but never lower.

I would suggest that others who have replied to this thread actualy read the whole posted question.You may think people are daft asking particular questions when you already know the answer and you might read into things other meanings but they wouldnt post if they knew the answer, now would they.

Seems Freshacre in his abrupt mode again and as others who read the post are nearer the mark

on what I was posting.

The point I WAS MAKING is that do online sites generally recommend higher spec tyres or was there

a genuine change in original spec (e.g 94W to 98V). Others have answered the question and thanks for that,,,,

Freshacre why so dismissive if nothing more to add?

My mother always brought me up with a saying; 'if you haven't got anything nice to say, then don't say it' Unfortunately, not everyone is the same! :-( Anyway, keep us upto date with the tyre choice and, if its the Michelins, what you think of them once bedded in. :-)

Just wanted to say online sites (for my Superb's winter tyres) always came up with the right spec - i.e. same as the dealer told me. (94V as it happens).

(And yes, some people can only ever get out of the wrong side of the bed).

Thanks for the helpful info. Will try to find some info about Michelin Primacy 3 tyres but maybe

too new on the market for feedback...The new tyre rating system (A-E GRADES and Noise Levels)

should be helpful but maybe different in the real world to take too much notice of.

Thanks for the helpful info. Will try to find some info about Michelin Primacy 3 tyres but maybe

too new on the market for feedback...The new tyre rating system (A-E GRADES and Noise Levels)

should be helpful but maybe different in the real world to take too much notice of.

Sorry for double post ...thread refuses to post reply then when it finally does it doubles up...

Forum or fumbly finger problem!!!???

Edited by kibby

When the time comes for me to throw away the SP Sport 01s, I shall probably buy the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, or as it's called in other sizes, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. I had lots of these on a previous car and they were outstanding tyres. I was not surprised to see them come top in what's probably the most comprehensive summer tyre test ever done. It's summarised here: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Auto-Bild-Max-Performance-Tyre-Test.htm

The Primacy 3 is a quality product but like many Michelins it's not great in the wet.

I used to specify the Primacy tyres on my BMW's. I thought they were the best tyres I had on they. As the tyres on my previous Octavia were replaced, I again fitted Primacy tyres, which ever version was available. It improved the ride, noise and comfort in the Octavia.

Some tyres are just not available in the 'low' loading or 'low' speed index that the Yeti needs.

TP's info is correct.

My winter tyres ate 99H XL from memory, which is over the top, and just means the side walls are tougher, so the ride would be even more comfortable if I could find some TS830P that are 94 load index.

As the Yeti can only reach quite low speeds, we don't need a high speed rating, but frequently aren't given the choice.

One exception is Beti the K04 Yeti, which will need a very high speed rating :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the time comes for me to throw away the SP Sport 01s, I shall probably buy the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, or as it's called in other sizes, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. I had lots of these on a previous car and they were outstanding tyres. I was not surprised to see them come top in what's probably the most comprehensive summer tyre test ever done. It's summarised here: http://www.tyrerevie...e-Tyre-Test.htm

The Primacy 3 is a quality product but like many Michelins it's not great in the wet.

Are you sure about the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 being called the F1 GS-D3? They appear to be very different tyres - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-2.htm vs http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-GSD3.htm

My Dunlops have only done 4K so it'll be a while (I hope!) before they need changing, particularly with running winters, but I liked the look of the Asymmetric 2s. Couldn't find them available in 225/50/17 though. If I had to buy now I'd most likely go for Nokian Z G2s - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nokian/Z-G2.htm - given how well the Nokian winters are doing so far.

Are you sure about the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 being called the F1 GS-D3?

That's what Goodyear say. I pasted this from a Goodyear website a couple of months ago when searching for the Asymmetric 2 in Yeti size: "In your size this tyre is called the Eagle F1 GS-D3, it closely resembles the characteristics and performances of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2."

But in view (as you say) of the very different tread patterns, maybe Goodyear are not being entirely straightforward in the above claim, and it might be more accurate to say that the Asymmetric 2 is a significant update to the GS-D3. If it is even better, it will be very good indeed.

Kwik fit replaced my 4 Dunlops with MIchelin Primacy HP's Tyre Size 225/50/17, since June this year.

Mines a lease Yeti, so I wouldn't have chose the most expensive tyres they had in stock (£235 each fitted). To be honest I prefered the Dunlops as they had the rim-protection, and felt slightly better on tight turns. Braking seems about equal as the Dunlops.

The Michelins will be coming off the end of this month to be replaced by the Falken winters, and I am hoping for snow, lot's of it!

Edited by BigHusky

Kibby,

Thought you might like to know that i bought x4 winter tyres from an online company called Lovetyres.Ordered them yesterday and have just arrived with me in aberdeenshire.they have alot of stock it would seem so might be worth having a look at.Ordering process very easy.They also answered a question i had very promptly with no sales pitch or pressure to buy.

would recommend to anyone who is looking for new rubber.

If I had to buy now I'd most likely go for Nokian Z G2s - http://www.tyrerevie...Nokian/Z-G2.htm - given how well the Nokian winters are doing so far.

I've driven the XF in most conditions apart from cold weather since fitting the Z G2s (245/45R18 100Y) in July.They seem very stable and responsive including in deep standing water, just slightly heavier at town speeds. I would rate them above the SP Sport 01s (let alone the dire factory-fit P Zeros), so - assuming they wear OK - I would definitely fit them again- even ignoring the fact that they were substantially cheaper than any of the OEM options. Unfortunately, I don't think the latter is the case in Yeti size.

Mark