Bye Bye Octavia

Mison

Badge, schmadge. I'm not, and have never been, a badge snob. I see Skoda as the best value for money within the VAG group. Same excellent drivetrain, DSG box, chassis, etc as the other C segment cars from the company. I also quite like that my car is made in Europe (Czech republic) rather than the equivalent Golf which is nailed together in Mexico. After two weeks of ownership, the only "cheap car" disadvantage I've found is that the door pockets are made from hard plastic which makes everything you put in there slide around and make noise. My Volvo didn't have that, but it was about 20k eur more (when new) than my Octavia. :)

Funny though, I see more up-specced Octavias than Golfs in my little corner of the world. Xenon lights is a tell-tale sign that someone cared enough to pay for some options, and I see a LOT more Octavias with xenons than I do Golfs.

As for the badge being worse - I don't know about that. Most people age 30 or less don't remember, or don't care, that Skoda used to be a communist car maker with overheating rear engined crapboxes. People age 40 to 60 flinch and say "well, it's vw nowdays so I guess they're OK". :D

Edited by Perc

Badge snob?

Why do say VAG instead of Skoda then?

Now I see you like to think that Volkswagen AUDI Group includes Skoda.

It does but Skoda is the budget brand for tight asses!!

If you like the the VAG group go buy a VW or AUDI.

Skoda is the Ford/Vauxhall etc equivalent.

Audi is the BMW/Merc equivalent .

What a confused post from you.

And that's not what VAG ancroymn stands for either.

I think the point is you won't drive a ford because of the badge yet you were happy to drive a skoda despite its badge being worse than that of ford - yes I know they are part of vag but people still don't make the connection. Me, I would prefer to drive the car that makes me enjoy it. At the moment I'm playing the field but having been a ford man most of my life a 5 mile trip in the 1.0 ecoboost engine made me realise just how good the focus is. The suspension and steering are way better than most vag cars.

Ford are for the masses, for the common man if you like.

I drive various hire cars each week to travel to other sites; Fords and Vauxhalls are the most common ones and I am always keen to get back in my own car after 300 miles in one. On balance the Fords tend to be better than the Vauxhalls but give me the equivalent Skoda anytime.

The running joke here over the last 30 years is "if you have a ford you'll surely go to heaven, because you've experienced hell on earth already" :D

I've had two fords, wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. :)

I don't really care what the badge is as long as the car drives and handles well and is quick. 0-60 in under 8 seconds, costs around £20k and is reasonably economical when driven sensibly. I love turbo petrol engines. My Octavia is brilliant to drive, especially with the remap. But it's time for something new and the new Octavia is still a few months away and the Focus ticked all the boxes and is available now.

When I change the Focus I may well get another Skoda. Depends what they have in the range that fits my criteria at that time.

I bought a brand new 1998 Ford Ka3, then part ex'd it for a 1.7 Puma!

Both good cars but both rusted!

Skoda isnt any better on the rust dept.... trust me.

and its not VAG its Volkswagen Group

Nowt wrong with Ford's, very nice cars to drive and arguably better to drive than any skoda, or any vag car tbh. I was looking at a focus before deciding on an Octavia, but the cheap looking and easily scratched inside trim and small boot space put me off, and my local polar ford dealer (who I have bought off before) was simply shocking.

Edited by mattrixdesign2
  • Like 1

Took the remap off today. Plugged in the STS unit in and downloaded the original map. Took it for a spin and whoa, what a difference. All the mid range torque has gone. It's still a quick car but the lack of oomph is so noticeable.

If anyone wants an STS unit get in touch. I'm open to offers.