VRS Brake upgrade on 4x4, PLS HELP

Fellow Briskodians Hello,

i recently tried to upgrade my brakes on my 4x4. I found that wereas for the front brakes, there was a stright swap between mine and the vrs disks and calipers, for the rear the vrs disks would not fit?

do you know of any workshops that could do this for me , or what other bits from the vrs rear brake system would i need to complete the conversion (i.e stone guards)? At the moment i only have the disks, calipers and pads.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Just out of interest were your originals 288mm, as i've got an L&K, and want to upgrade to at least the vrs 312mm size discs (maybe even brembo) not sure yet.

A mate says he will do the conversion as long as you dont have to bleed the system (hes got some mechanical knowledge but he says he wont take the risk if they need bleeding first - wouldnt even do that on his own car)

Be greatful if ya could let me know - as for your question i think EddyH would be able to help.

thx

Lee

• Administrators

I think the S3 line fit, or any other haldex car...

The 4x4 can brake as well as a vRS with pads and fluid change.

The vRS rears will I'm pretty sure not fit owing to the 44 and non 4x4 of the vRs effecting things in that area.

Have a look at the partners area and give your local guys a call.

Failing that try www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk but hide your ccard.

The vRS rears will fit if you can get hold of the caliper carriers from haldex equipped car with 256mm rear brakes (S3/TT/V64M/R32...). If you're doing that though you may as well get the full kit off a car being broken and sell the vRS kit on to a 2wd owner. Don't bother with stone guards as that means removing the hub, just trim or bend the originals.

it is impossible to change calipers without bleeding the system

Yes but you don't need to change calipers to upgrade from 288mm to 312mm. The calipers and pads are the same just the discs and caliper carriers are different.

Just out of interest were your originals 288mm' date=' as i've got an L&K, and want to upgrade to at least the vrs 312mm size discs (maybe even brembo) not sure yet.

A mate says he will do the conversion as long as you dont have to bleed the system (hes got some mechanical knowledge but he says he wont take the risk if they need bleeding first - wouldnt even do that on his own car)

Be greatful if ya could let me know - as for your question i think EddyH would be able to help.

thx

Lee[/quote']

Hi lee, my front original disks were damaged while i was replacing them, so i cnoot pass them on. i dont think there would be a porblem upgrading yours to vrs or something else since they are all fwd, also bleeding the system is very easy, but best left to a mechanic.

thanks

kostas

the 312mm disk setups are ran on the audi tt/seat leon cupra (non r)/golf gti (180)/audi s3 and of course the vrs octavia i think. maybe try and get the brembos of a broken leon cupra r or similar though id imagine that would cost a good bit more...

p.s. can i ask why people are changing the rear disks as well? why not just do the front ones as id have thought the rears will make little difference (if any)?

smerko thanks for your comment,

i want to change the rear brakes as well becaues the calipers on the front are now green whereas the back are grey, and also because my rear disks are too small and dont look good with the 17 vrs alloys, sounds a bit tarty but thats the reason.

Regards

Kostas