Bolero - Random Radio Reception

I'm wondering if anyone has the same experience as me with their Bolero radio...

When I enable the traffic programme (TP) I get the expected BBC local radio interrupting whatever I'm listening to with the travel bulletins - which is fine. BUT, I also get other random interruptions form [usually] commercial radio stations with the only way of getting rid of them being to hit the TP button to cancel that particular 'traffic programme'. It's almost that the TP function is too sensitive. I have never experienced this with other cars (Vauxhall, Ford, Kia, ...).

I'm aware of discussions about Bolero firmware updates - is it likely that mine needs an update?

Alas I don't have MaxiDot so believe I can't find out which version I have on mine.

As I understand it the radio station transmits a code to indicate that they are about to transmit a traffic bulletin. They also then send another code at the end so that the radio reverts back to the station that you were listening too.

However.........

I have had occurrences when a 'traffic' report has been initiated by a station that is actually an advert for the station itself. Also some stations are very slow at sending the 'end of traffic' code. As you say these are mostly commercial stations.

I do not think that your radio is at fault it is more likely the fault of the stations concerned.

Richard

Thanks Richard.

What you suggest makes sense or there would be loads of people with the same issue with their Bolero systems.

I'll see if I can identify which stations cause the unwanted interruptions and then pursue it with them.

Thanks again

Steve

I suspect the Bolero may have a 2nd tuner that does some background stuff as I have noticed that I do sometimes get commercial traffic bulletins when the radio has been set to a BBC national. Most RDS systems will only switch to a traffic report on a local BBC station that is on a nearby transmitter also carrying the national one you are listening to. This implies it is doing some scanning around which it can't do on the tuner you are listening to the station on.

It also seems to keep the full station list (not the pre-sets) up to date with those currently available, again probably with a 2nd tuner.

But yes many commercial stations conveniently "forget" to cancel the traffic alert carrier, and "accidentally" give you some adverts.

Bolero does have a second tuner. Today a received Classic FM traffic news while listening to BBC local radio on am. My previous cars lost traffic news once I switched to am. Clever stuff!

Guest Bloke654

I'm having the exact same issue in my 2012 VRS. The TP function works perfectly, but every now and then the radio will jump to another channel for around 5 seconds before switching back. It only appears to happen when TP is switched on, but as I do a lot of motorway miles I need to have it on. When it jumps it never goes to a station broadcasting traffic news, and the small dialog box in the middle of the screen which normally gives you the option to cancel does not appear.

The car has been in the dealership twice to have this looked at. The first time they claimed it was a known fault and that it just required a connector on the rear to be connected correctly. It did the same thing twice on my way home. It's since been in again at which point they denied any knowledge of a known fault. They have reported it to Skoda Technical to see if they are aware of the issue, but am not holding my breath for a response. The dealership say they are unable to do anything as they have not actually seen the fault, and no error codes have been logged. I won't be letting this go as it's damn anoying, and seems to do it just at the point when you want to hear what's being said on the radio. The car is a company lease vehicle so will continue to raise the issue with Leaseplan, but unfortunately they just book me another appointment at the dealership who then can't find the fault.

Sneal

Would you be willing to share your contact details via a PM, as they did say it would help if I could find anyone else suffering the same issue? In turn I will be more than happy to furnish you with the details of my progress and any resolution I may reach.

Cheers

Andy

Bolero does have a second tuner. Today a received Classic FM traffic news while listening to BBC local radio on am. My previous cars lost traffic news once I switched to am. Clever stuff!

You can also set it up to record traffic news while it is parked up, during times specified by you.

Guys - thanks for your comments, and apologies for my late reply.

@eccleshill - yes, I found the traffic news recording option. Very useful when leaving the office, helps me decide whether to turn left or right!

@bloke654 (Andy) - interesting to hear of Skoda dealer's responses. I haven't yet raised it with my local dealer. Mine is a private buy so won't have Leaseplan (or other) to 'help'. You mention the small dialogue box not appearing so can't cancel the interruption - hitting the TP button on the right once will cancel it, a second will turn off the TP. Will PM you.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by sneal