car smoking white smoke

rich53

Right basically had my car on a dyno yesterday and it produced 186BHP and 368NM of torque on a stage 1 jabba map. That's the good bit.

After my 'power runs' the car was left on tick over and started firing white smoke out of the exhaust, now first thought was turbo... BUT the car still boosts fine.

Anyway thought nothing of it, but the problem persisted on tick over and anything under 1500rpm. The car burns clean anything above that. (friend behind me who's a mechanic)

After that i was on my way back from Warrington and got to about 3k in 6th when it went into limp. Stopped and fired back up and boost back. now if I'm 4th or higher at speed and 'push on' the car drops boost and goes into limp. This is really confusing me :(

NOTE: I'm running a pd150 hybrid on a stage 1 map, and the turbo is about 10k old.

i think joshhh had something like this at combe blowing out whitr smoke. not sure if it was seals.

Hmm it weird. I just pushed an st down the road so i had no performance drop there. Car is for some reason running 1.3BST on tickover on my scan gauge. It reads 22.3 max.. Where as before it wouldnt read above 1 on tickover

Turbo oil seals, oil bypassing under low boost.<br /><br />Possibly bypassing somewhere in the block but doubtful as its only at low boost. Check your oil level

Oil level is fine. Does this mean i need another turbo? :(

I remember my gt turbo ep82 starlets turbo went and on idle and low revs it would have white smoke out the back. Its where the seals wear down after time and oil gets by them.

Its white because the oil burns on the hot exhaust.

New turbo will sort it out!

Oil level is fine. Does this mean i need another turbo? :(

Sounds like mate, 186 is asking a lot from a standard turbo, mine boosted normally too.

Notice white smoke at start up from cold too?

Sounds like mate, 186 is asking a lot from a standard turbo, mine boosted normally too.

Notice white smoke at start up from cold too?

Its a hybrid pd150... I find giving it some the turbo doesnt like me going into 5th or 6th and goes into limp. And no, no white smoke on start :S

Ah my bad, in which case that's a conservative map!

Something dont sound right mate, get someone to check it over for you.

Doing some logs tonight on vcds. Narrowed it down to either maf sensor or turbo seals. But im not using oil.

Did a compression test today too. All reading between 600-605 psi which im gussing is okay?

Easy way to check the MAF - when it's doing it... Unplug the MAF.

If it improves... MAF. If not? Possibility it's the turbo...

If it was me i'd also consider the possibility the vanes could be stuck open/closed...

Mr Muscle turbo clean time perhaps just in case?

It only takes a small amount of oil to smoke out the exhaust, has it done it since

Seems to be okay at the moment. But ive not really driven far when ive had to drive. Will try the maf now if not its sending the turbo back... Its only 6months old :(

Always worth a shot haha, but i fear in this instance its a gubbed seal in the turbo, feeding SOME oil into system.

Agree, your limp mode and this are possibly 2 separate issues also.

It's highly unlikely there'll be sticky vanes in a 6 month old turbo!

Agree, your limp mode and this are possibly 2 separate issues also.

It's highly unlikely there'll be sticky vanes in a 6 month old turbo!

However highly likely a mapped one to start going. Have you checked the logs for spiking?

Been out in my car. It seems the maf is fine. And after giving it some as much as possible the car ran perfect!! Then...

I left it ticking over for about 10 mins while messing with vcds and went to go and the car was pumping white smoke out. Whilst changing gears the car tried to die... Then eventually cleared and ran mint again...

Any ideas?