Was I right in adopting a Yeti?

Hairball

A buddy at work recently took delivery of a sparkling new Vauxhall(Opel) Mokka with a Dyson equipped 1.4 petrol unit driving all four paws. When I first read the reviews some were scathing in the ride and handling of the new Vauxhall offspring.

However... In the flesh this is quite a nice looking beast IMHO. Far better than in the web photos. Equipment seems pretty decent too. For the UK the whole suspension is reported to have been tuned such that you no longer have to distribute sick bags to any passengers or have to wear a bib when driving and it does go around corners now.

The Exclusiv version in 1.4 turbo 4x4 is roughly competing with the price as a 170 oil burning 4x4 snow monster in Elegance trim however there are significant differences apart from the life time 100K mile warranty and a 0% finance package from the Mokka maker.

Looks: It is quite a dynamic looker in the flesh, more like a corsa on steroids (or with a bad case of trapped gas). Sitting on 18" spinners it arguably looks better wheel to wheel arch than the SM. The wrap round rear window enhances the view of a small tail gate spoiler, Very neat. Panel fit seems as good as the Yeti. Also you get plastic wheel arch protectors. Elegance Yeti does get Xenon head lights as standard although the Mokka gets auto anti dazzle function with auto high beam dip for streetlight and on comming traffic scenarios.

Inside: Looks very well finished although without the Boleros' touch screen there are more buttons that would keep a shorthand typist amused for ages. Seats (cloth as opposed the the Elegance Yeti leather) equally look good. Rear seats can be folded although I'm unsure if they can be removed. No center arm rest though.

Trim: Yeti Elegance gets leather heated seats, puddle lamps in the door mirrors, flexible sliding rear seating.

The ride: Dunno yet, not been out in it but the owner has exhibited no signs of evacuated breakfast down his shirt on arrival at work so that's a good sign.

Power plant: I drove a new Astra with this engine before I adopted the Yeti and it's a pretty good on churning out 140 ish of the New Forests native equine community compared to 170 ish of the VAG CR diesel unit.

So should I have waited for Vauxhalls new cross over scamp?

Well for me that's not easy to answer. The Mokka certainly looks the part, goes and stops well and in UK trim handles well and seems well finished. Reports show that the Yeti still has the edge in handling. They Yeti has much better visibility though as the Mokka has a quite thick D pillar although with reversing sensors this may not be an issue. I think the Yeti still has the edge on build quality. Little things like the shopping bag hooks that slide on rails in the boot. The little hooks that you can mount cargo nets in more ways than a novice bondage madam can imagine. Incredible flexibility for the rear seating the list goes on, that off road button and last but not least the Yeti has a sort of cheeky charm and personality that other SUVs can only dream about. The Mokka is a great car but while the dynamic style is good to look at some practicalities are a little compromised.

The new Mokka is a great car but for me the bar set so high by the Yeti is a tad higher.

So, Yes I was right in adopting Jana and would do it again. The fact is other cars are worth serious consideration as they are catching up on Skodas finest. Still a little way to go for me to even consider considering a change in car for the medium term.

No, and before anyone asks no I do not work for Vauxhall.

18" wheels are really going to help over winter...

Can you see out of the back, the rear view out of the Astra is appalling. I've only sat in a Yeti in the showroom but you could easily see where the corners where and what was behind you (my mum made the same comment).

• Like 1

18" wheels are really going to help over winter...

Can you see out of the back, the rear view out of the Astra is appalling. I've only sat in a Yeti in the showroom but you could easily see where the corners where and what was behind you (my mum made the same comment).

Exactly agree trundlenut, the rear view from the Yeti is brilliant although parking sensors help to mitigate somewhat I prefer to see what is around, I guess that its that old case of form over function, I had an old girlfriend who was like that.

Just had a look on the Vauxhall website and as I suspected the rear visibility looks to be crap.

It also vaguely looks like it should have been in Judge Dredd.

Yup, Our Yetis (Yetii?) have the advantages of a van with rear seats with great all round view. I know what you mean by the Judge Dread theme, the Yeti seems like a more organic design.

Good review, but a non-starter for me, anyway.

No auto 4x4. 1.7 diesel unlikely to produce the required towing grunt. Doesn't look as if there's a lot of room for vertical wheel movement. What's the ground clearance (I didn't check)? Agreed about probable rear view - and that twiddle of trim wrapped from the trapdoor round on to the D pillar ain't foolin' no-one. Looks like either a bullfrog or a parrotfish, depending on viewing angle (as do most of this style of SUV). And what on earth is that thing sticking out between the front seats?!

I didn't look at prices - irrelevant.

Someone will like it, I'm sure.

But I'm in love with Annie. :sun:

(Just my opinion; YMMV)

Edited by brijo

Almost without exception the reviews have been terrible. I know reviews are not perfect but when they all agree you have to believe there is some valid question marks over the Mokka, okay it might suit some people but the proof is in the driving - and that is what testers do.

Almost without exception the reviews have been terrible. ...

The ones I've read of the UK spec seem reasonable - maybe good PR by GM in flattering the motoring press by letting them take credit for suggesting ride improvements over early cars? I thought the interesting aspects were the looks and rep-special trim spec option. I like the slide out bike rack, less so the powertrains. Targeting the junior-wannabe-SUV company car and ladies-car brigades, maybe?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/vauxhall/mokka