Poorly TFSI vRS

Hi everyone,

Driving my car home tonight, gave it some throttle and it missed slightly. Odd I thought so Tried again, car held back and misfired. Yellow exhaust emissions light flashed on the dashboard. I limped the car home a mile with the light flashing.

Car is mapped with a custom exhaust fitted. Any ideas?

Thanks for any info.

Thanks for the info guys, only had the car 3 weeks.

Very worried that it may be the cam follower? Typically I have it booked in to be done Monday. No history of it ever being changed, car on 95k.

Mapped 2 weeks ago. Car has behaved oddly of late. First and second gear have felt flat, like the car isn't giving it all it has.

Third gear has been impressive since the map. However, it had a mind of its own today. One minute third felt flat under full load. Next minute it feels rapid?!

Slight burning (hot) smell when I opened the bonnet?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers for the responses guys.

Phoned Skoda and they said my car needed to be recalled due to ignition coil pack fault. However, they cannot do it for a week and my car is barely drivable! No way am I going to try and drive it up NSL roads to get there.

Also the fact the car has been mapped makes me feel if they did get hold of it to do the FOC repair, it would be found to be mapped and the repair stopped.

Bitten the bullet and paid for 4 new coils and spark plugs. My mate who is a mechanic is coming over to do the work for me. Hopefully it is the coils.

Haha, you guys are right! The engine cover was the trickiest part of the job!

Coils changed along with spark plugs. The plugs looked original! So much for FSH!!

Put it back together and back to normal! Very happy.

Thank-you to everyone for the advice and info.

• Like 4

Glad you're sorted. Did you swap all of the packs out? And hopefully you got some later revision ones which tend to be a bit more reliable.

Had one on my old vRS start to smoulder, when I stopped after seeing similar symptoms to you. Not fun!

knackered-coilpack.jpg

Wow! Mine weren't that bad.

It's funny how the coil packs can fail so dramatically. My first thoughts were cam follower failure, or coked up valves. Really felt terrible!

All 4 coil packs were replaced along with all plugs. Figured it would be best to change the lot whilst there.

Yep, not sure how it managed to fail that badly! Thought the engine bay was going to go up in smoke at the time.... :whew:

Right call swapping them all out - do you know what revision the ones fitted were, and what went in?

Coil packs do seem to be a weakness on more modern petrol engines - the BMW 120i that I had before the vRS had two sets of (revised) coil packs in my 7 months of ownership. Thankfully the work was done under recall & warranty but certainly gave me concern for long term ownership.

I'll take a look when I get home tonight which ones they are.

Having read a few stories about new revised coil packs failing, I decided to try another brand of coil pack. If they aren't up to the job I'll try VAG coils.

Thanks guys.

I'm going to see if I can get reimbursement for the cost of parts. I work full time and am currently doing a full time degree in Oxford. Having my car off the road for a week wasn't an option. Also, the car was not driveable, and would of required the RAC to take my car to the garage.

I suffered a failed coil pack this morning , got it replaced today all seemed well for a while ! On the way home floored it when accelerating on to motorway the car miss fired at 2000 rpm then again at 2500 . Not sure if this is the new pack is faulty or another one is ready to go !

Edited by brucey1

I suffered a failed coil pack this morning , got it replaced today all seemed well for a while ! On the way home floored it when accelerating on to motorway the car miss fired at 2000 rpm then again at 2500 . Not sure if this good be the new pack is faulty or another one is ready to go !

Replace all 4 together, one fails and then seems to make the others fail very soon after.

Haha, you guys are right! The engine cover was the trickiest part of the job!

Coils changed along with spark plugs. The plugs looked original! So much for FSH!!

Put it back together and back to normal! Very happy.

Thank-you to everyone for the advice and info.

The plugs may be original, they are good for 60K. So may of not been changed or just changed once.

Edited by vrs777

I suffered a failed coil pack this morning , got it replaced today all seemed well for a while ! On the way home floored it when accelerating on to motorway the car miss fired at 2000 rpm then again at 2500 . Not sure if this is the new pack is faulty or another one is ready to go !

Did you have rhe coil pack (ie all four) replaced or a single coil? if just one, ask the garage which coil they replaced (one garage I used forgot, which was unhelpful) and get them to re-scan the car to see if the misfire is on the same cylinder. If it is a different cylinder, you need another new coil.

If it is the same cylinder or a whole new pack was fitted, get tem to swap the coil from the misfiring cylinder with one of he others. If the misfire follows the coil, it is faulty and you deserve a free replacement. If the misfire stays on the same cylinder then it probably wasn't the coil in the first place.

It was only one pack on cylinder number one , I am going back in on Friday to pay the bill so will mention it then . I am now checking my service history to see if the recall has been done on my car , hoping it hasnt been so I can get the lot done free !