Ugly Rear Wheel Arches.

Liam2

I actually found it quite eerie to watch as these robots until they complete as they seem almost human when they start sharing out the different sections! :peek:

That is weird! They look like operating theatre nurses with those blue coveralls on!

Really enjoyed that. The robots were spooky. Love to see one for the Citigo, even though seen one seen them all. I remember many years ago the inference was that one day robots would do the work and we would all reap the reward of our technological advances by having loads of leisure time and very comfortable lives.

Really enjoyed that. The robots were spooky. Love to see one for the Citigo, even though seen one seen them all. I remember many years ago the inference was that one day robots would do the work and we would all reap the reward of our technological advances by having loads of leisure time and very comfortable lives.

Oddly enough I quoted that thought just yesterday. Didn't quite work out that way on the whole.

Thanks Oldstan. That looks suitable. When they say 'not suitable for overpainting' I presume they mean not to paint on top of it.

Yes, but there are others that do allow overpainting....not that you need to, of course.

As mentioned, I swear by the stuff. Donkeys years ago whenever I bought a new (secondhand) car I invariably had it steam-cleaned, underneath and in the engine compartment, and then used Body Schutz to underseal the arches and the rest of the underneath. In those days I had access to a compressor and a hydraulic vehicle lift and sprayed it on like a paint sprayer would. These tins would do you a treat or you'll find Hycote do one called 'Stone Guard' and Hammerite have their 'Stone Chip Shield'. Have a quick Google. I saw Amazon do the Body Schutz and Ebay has Stone guard or just go to Halfords or your Motor Accessory shop.

Hi Chaps - still got my worries about the warranty aspect. From considerable experience of building products, certain products can cause adverse reactions with others. I suspect that Dinitrol (I had heard in the past it was a good underseal for use on older vehicles) will likely have some bituminous content, hence the reason for saying that its not suitable for overprinting.

In construction some of the best waterproofing products were bituminous based, being totally waterproof and also flexible. But there is no known permanent coating that can be applied over it where eventually (might take years) the bituminous product does not 'leech' through.

I would worry that the Dinitrol could have a reverse adverse effect and might be detrimental to both the Skoda water based paint and also their seam sealer.

That was why I recommended a written confirmation that such an application would not effect your warranty. Sorry to put a dampener on things, but forewarned is forearmed as the say ;-).

It's only going to become a warranty issue in that area if there is a warranty claim which is unlikely. I would have no worries with cleaning the arch, drying it off and then give a "dusting" with a matt black spray - not a complete coat but just a once over. Something like the heat resistant black would be ideal. It's not going to affect anything in that area and it will darken it up enough to prevent it from standing out.

Hey guys thanks a lot for taking this topic on board and for all the good advice. It is good advice too to look before leaping. As I mentioned earlier I will see what the dealer says. I said when I first brought it up that I would get back to him in a week or so.

I will let you know what he says.

If you buy the basic model you will not get all the extras. I don't think you should be so anal about what colour is under the wheel arch.

VAG will not produce a poor quality car i am sure. Just enjoy it, instead of getting hung up on it !

If you buy the basic model you will not get all the extras. I don't think you should be so anal about what colour is under the wheel arch.

VAG will not produce a poor quality car i am sure. Just enjoy it, instead of getting hung up on it !

In his initial post Liam said this.........

My Citigo is Silver Leaf in colour. The wheel arches at the rear are not lined and are painted in the same Silver Leaf colour. This means that all the unwanted detail, within the rear wheel arches in particular, is very visible. I'm wondering if there is a proprietary appropriate paint on black finish that I could apply that would alleviate the issue, and without any drawbacks. Would Skoda paint warranty be affected?

Why he is being accused of being 'anal' and 'hung up' ? I thought this was a forum where people put points forward, asked questions, gave of their knowledge etc. etc. Yet you've jumped on the 'Bash a Liam' bandwagon and rammed it down his throat that he should be grateful for what he has and not dare to offer anything other than gushing praise. I would think Liam will think twice before asking anything else unless he's singing Citigo's praise from the rooftops.

• Like 1

Why he is being accused of being 'anal' and 'hung up' ? I thought this was a forum where people put points forward, asked questions, gave of their knowledge etc. etc. Yet you've jumped on the 'Bash a Liam' bandwagon and rammed it down his throat that he should be grateful for what he has and not dare to offer anything other than gushing praise. I would think Liam will think twice before asking anything else unless he's singing Citigo's praise from the rooftops.

Why shouldn't Liam ask this question? Hughp - you have asked questions on other sections of Briskoda without being maligned! I totally agree with Oldstan.

Edited by CortinaGT