iPhone 5, the MDI Interface and the Apple Ligtning Connector Adapter

Hello All,

I'm looking at buying an Octavia Mk II and one of the cars I'm considering has the MDI connection to allow you to connect an iPhone.

Because Apple have gone and changed the connection on the iPhone 5 I'm just wondering if anybody who has the MDI in their car has tried to connect an iPhone 5 using the Apple Lightning-to-30-pin-dock connector adapter?

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

I'm trying to figure out if the connector adapter will allow the iPhone 5 to work with the car stereo via the MDI?

Having tried to search for answers to this I've not had much luck so far. However I did find some info on the What HiFi website which says this;

"As you may have noticed the Lightning port is purely digital, but the old 30-pin connection in your car or on your speaker dock uses an analogue signal.

'Apple’s Lightning to 30-pin Adapter has its own DAC (Digital-to-Analogue Converter) allowing the iPhone 5's digital signal to be understood by your analogue dock"

then it goes on to say:

"So it should work with existing docks that take an analogue connection, though it might now scupper docks and other devices that previously took a digital connection and used their own DACs. Video out still won't work and the 'iPod Out' connection, which works with some in-car audio systems to show an in-car iPod display, won't work with the new adapter."

http://www.whathifi.com/news/iphone-5-and-ipods-wont-work-with-some-existing-kit-%E2%80%93-even-with-the-adapter

I'm not really a technical expert and so I'm left really confused as to whether this is suggesting that an iPhone 5 could connect to the car stereo via an MDI or not? It sounds as if any video won't be displayed but maybe you'll still be able to play music or podcasts?

Any advice from anyone who has tried this or has a better understanding of this than me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

John

• Like 1

An interesting post and the one reason I won't buy a new iPhone as yet! At £25 a shot the adaptors are overpriced to say th least, but hey that's Apple. If you already have an adaptor why not take it to the dealership and try it?

Other idea is to see if a member could try it in their car for you.

I'm in NE England if that's any help?

Hi sh4rpsh00ter,

Thanks for the tips and I'll try to get my hand on an adapter to try it out.

At the moment I've actually got an older iPhone 3G so I'm hoping that's going to work straight away with the MDI and the car stereo. However the 3G phone is struggling a bit now and I was worried that if I upgrade the phone to the 5 version it will render the MDI (which seems like a really handy feature) redundant.

Your offer of help is much appreciated but I'm in East Anglia.

However if I can get to try it out I'll report back for you.

Thanks,

John

I read that as it will play music but might well not display the track name etc on the bolero and maxidot.

Where that leaves you on charging and iPod control from the head unit, I don't know......

Why don't you just get an iphone 4s or whatever the one before the 5 was called. I know its not the latest model but since you still have a 3g i suspect that you are not that bothered about it. Excuse my ignorance about iphone models as I detest all things apple.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I've got the Skoda MDI and have been using the lightning adapter with my iPhone 5 since October.

It works perfectly - plays music, displays track erc, allows playlist/album/track browsing.

In fact if anything it is more reliable than the system was with my 3GS.

Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Slimmy,

Thanks for letting me know and now once my 3G finally gives up the ghost and I can afford a newer phone at least I know that I won't lose the functionality of the MDI to the stereo if I use the lightning adapter.

Thanks,

John

• 7 months later...

Hi guys, old thread dug up...sorry

I am after an answer to a question John posed above but we have't found an answer to yet; will the MDI > lightning connector permit you to use the iphone phone functionality though the Bolero?

Answers on a postcard!

Thanks.

Hi guys, old thread dug up...sorry

I am after an answer to a question John posed above but we have't found an answer to yet; will the MDI > lightning connector permit you to use the iphone phone functionality though the Bolero?

Answers on a postcard!

Thanks.

Does the MDI cable actually enable you to use the phone function at all? Thought it was music player only?