Tow Ropes

oldstan

As you say, Old Stan was indeed asking about the advisability of a tow rope as an emergency device, and was not considering using it for towing a distance. As such, yes, it is a valuable piece of kit to have "just in case" - it's better to have one that can be used to quickly obtain assistance than be stuck in adverse conditions when a simple pull was all that was needed to get you on your way.

Much interesting discussion resulted which, as is often the case on this forum, expanded to cover all sorts of advice beyond the purpose of the original post. I guess that there will be information there that helps someone in a difficult situation, even if it just makes them think about their own capabilities before attempting the impossible!

We also now know a little more about 4x4 response too - which has certainly improved my knowledge about the service their members offer.

A good topic, even if it did stray slightly!

Indeed, that's a very reasoned summary, SS.

And some helpful extra points have been raised including the winter kit that different people carry and, as you say, the duties undertaken by individual members of different response groups. Like vegit8, I spent getting on for thirty years in London's FB but we didn't (then) carry much recovery equipment on regular appliances as county brigades...and now I gather much more diverse gear is carried. The high volume pumps and search and rescue and water rescue facilities now seem far more comprehensive than they were ten years ago.....as we have seen in recent days and weeks.

I will tuck the tow straps away in the boot(s) and probably never use them but will at least now have some extra snippets of info. to remember. I've ordered a fold-away shovel having been prompted by the reminder above (I have a regular shovel hanging in the garage ready for loading in to the boot if it snows, but the foldaway can stay in the boot all winter).

Thank you for responses.

• Like 1

One of the biggest problems with towing is the towed driver's amazing inability to keep the rope/strap tight, often resulting in either a sudden snatch after slowing or them running over your rope/strap.

No matter how carefully you explain how important it is to brake gently and watch the rope/strap, even with an experienced driver, they quickly seem to lose concentration (even on the racing circuit!).

I know this is pushing a little more off topic but your post above reminded me of a 'thrilling' experience I had many years ago. I was working in a garage at the time and was called to a breakdown a mile or so from the workshop and when I arrived found the car couldn't be fixed at the scene. I asked the elderly gentleman if he had ever been towed on a tow rope before he said 'yes many a time' so I hitched up and off we went. Everything went well until we came upon a downward hill, I always liked to feel a gentle tug on the towing vehicle to reasure me that the person behind was gently keeping the rope taut but on this occasion I felt nothing. On looking in my rear view mirror I was a little perturbed to see no following vehicle, however on looking in the door mirror was horrified to see the said vehicle overtaking me! This all went from bad to worse when the tow rope became tight and resulted in the towed vehicle pushing me uncontrollably towards the nearside hedge! Suffice to say we ended up in a sort of heap in the hedge with me being unable to get out of the driver's door. The funny thing was that this little exhibition was seen in it's entirety by a copper on a motorbike travelling in the opposite direction! I was expecting him to stop and read the riot act but he just raised his eyes to the heavens in a couldn't believe what he'd just seen sort of way and continued on by. We eventually, after much jigging about, became untangled and after calling a colleague to 'assist' continued on our merry way. I must say a rigid bar was a great addition to the towing armoury!!

Nick.

At work so don't have the "load table" I was given on my training, but seem to remember that any pull on level grass increases the load by 10%, and for every 5 degrees of slope this also increases the load expedentially. It is surprisingly easy to quickly "overload" a towing vehicle and it's equipment.

Also 4x4 Response is NOT a Club, but a collective of 4x4 Response Groups throughout the UK, who have joined together to form the National 4x4 Response Network to provide highly trained volunteers to many bodies, including the Police, Fire and Ambulance services, plus others in times of "hazard" from flooding to snow, from missing persons to natural disasters. Not towing out vehicles, other than in dire emergency is not in our remit, and is nothing to do with litigation. In fact we would probably be covered under the 4x4 Response insurance, but don't consider it our "job".

EDIT to add.

The BMW I pulled out of the way was an X5, in about 4" of snow whilst I was still on "summer" tyres. He thought that because he had a 4x4 corners could still be taken at normal speed! The hedge and small ditch won!! Miserable beggar didn't even offer me a pint!!

I wounder what the extra load was on this :giggle: , it was rather wet that year and I could not see the ground conditions due to the crop

post-52230-0-32190300-1355078629_thumb.jpg

first one stuck 12t chain 6t chain 7t

post-52230-0-69953900-1355078914_thumb.jpg

post-52230-0-81604400-1355078941_thumb.jpg

Happy not to be doing that kind of off roading any more :D .

Sorry back on topic now couldn't resist

If I may take this completely off topic? Seeing maize being harvested reminds me of the time one xmas, I was a wandering around Hohenlohe, and came across a farmer trying to chase a family of wild boar out of his maize. What looked like several posse's of hunters forming cordons while the farmer romped through the remains of his crop on his JD. Eventually the sow and weaners made a break and as far as I could see got clear, despite the discharge of what sounded like every gun in Baden.

Actually, they are a major pest, ravaging many crops, especially high value ones like grape vines. About 100,000+ are shot each each year in Germany. The people we stayed with had a dozen hung in their Schlachtkammer.

If they had shot one, they could have hauled it home with the strop.

Neatly back on topic now.

it was rather wet that year and I could not see the ground conditions due to the crop

post-52230-0-81604400-1355078941_thumb.jpg

Handy that someone happened to be driving past with a motorised, off-road capable medieval torture device when you got your tractor stuck!

Sorry to display my agricultural ignorance but (i) what on earth is that thing for, and (ii) what do you have to be found guilty of to get sentenced to a dose of it?? (Bear in mind that I find angle grinders and circular saws scary. Chainsaws give me the complete wig.)

When you see some of the equipment that farm workers have to take charge of, it's not terribly surprising (though it is definitely regrettable) that agriculture has one of the worst fatal accident and occupational ill-health records of any major employment sector. Stay safe out there.

Edited by ejstubbs

The two tow strops in question arrived this morning. Incredibly quick delivery from Amazon.

As it happens they have come down in price by about 50p since I bought them. They don't have any rating certification on them.

I ordered one folding snow shovels over the weekend too....they've gone up this morning just because I decided to get a second one just now.

Never mind...it's only a few coppers. But does coincidentally confirm what I read about this morning.... online prices going up and down overnight on the internet.

Edited by oldstan

Amazon prices seem to be able to change at any time.

Indeed, the days when items had the price printed on to the packaging or the tin are largely gone. The foil blankets http://www.amazon.co...02_s00_i00????

I ordered over the weekend have gone up by 3p ! Must be a computer thing. Can't imagine someone sitting at a desk deciding to put threepence on to the price of an item.

Edited by oldstan

Dont you just love amazon, I was hunting around there the other day for one of those folding platform thingys to stand on so I can reach the roof when cleaning.

My local DIY shed wanted £50 for one.

Amazon ranged from £50 is downwards to about £35..... then I found one for £3.50 inc free delivery. I blinked twice checked the reviews and purchased it.

Within 30 minutes the price had jumped back up to £35.00, a few days later mine arrived and I was billed £3.50 - "result" !!

• Like 1

Dont you just love amazon, I was hunting around there the other day for one of those folding platform thingys to stand on so I can reach the roof when cleaning.

Amazon ranged from £50 is downwards to about £35..... then I found one for £3.50 inc free delivery. I blinked twice checked the reviews and purchased it.

Within 30 minutes the price had jumped back up to £35.00, a few days later mine arrived and I was billed £3.50 - "result" !!

RESULT !!!!!..... You did do well!

And yes, I do love Amazon. Invariably excellent service. Usually good prices. I always have a look before buying something.....even if you don't buy from them you get an idea of the price of an item as a guide. I try to strike a balance to be drawn between buying locally to keep shops going...and saving X amount of money from your back pocket. I try to do a bit of both but with the kind of excellent customer service I receive from Amazon it's a temptation to have the thing delivered to your door within a day or so knowing you can return it if there's a problem.........as opposed to being faced with a recalcitrant individual who blames you for it not working and begrudgingly offering a credit note. And paying more for the benefit of the experience.

Admittedly I exaggerate re. the latter. My Mrs. assures me that returning stuff is a lot easier than it used to be. I heard once that big stores like M and S don't mind returns because every time you go back to the store to return something you usually buy something else....which recuperates the loss on the returned item.

My experience of the majority of courier firms and Royal Mail Parcels is almost always good in this area. I get stuff within a day or so...sometimes the next day and it's obvious the parcel has been sent promptly, travelled across the country during the night and got to me in a very organized fashion by van. Very occasionally there's damage but a phone call always sorts it out. I'm impressed.

Edited by oldstan

You did incredibly well at that price! An error obviously.

I got a "hop up platform" from Wickes - who had them on special offer of £29.99, but they are back up at £39.99 again now. Only a bargain if you've a WIckes within easy reach of course.

Mind you, I often can't be bothered to get the thing out, so I stand on the rear tyre to do 75% of the roof, and a small plastic step stool thing that I got from a pound shop to do the front 25%. Not perfect, but ok for an occasional wash!

Professional-Hop-Up-Platform_large.jpg

Edited by speedsport

Handy that someone happened to be driving past with a motorised, off-road capable medieval torture device when you got your tractor stuck!

Sorry to display my agricultural ignorance but (i) what on earth is that thing for, and (ii) what do you have to be found guilty of to get sentenced to a dose of it?? (Bear in mind that I find angle grinders and circular saws scary. Chainsaws give me the complete wig.)

When you see some of the equipment that farm workers have to take charge of, it's not terribly surprising (though it is definitely regrettable) that agriculture has one of the worst fatal accident and occupational ill-health records of any major employment sector. Stay safe out there.

The medieval torture device (forage harvester with a price tag then of £250,000) which I was driving is the one that was stuck 12tons sitting on its belly well fuel tank containing 220 gallons of diesel one day (12hrs worth ) 400+hp merc v8 twin turbo, now how can I fit that into my yeti B)

It is used for cutting and chopping grass and maize into short lengths 4mm to 12mm for storing for cattle feed through the winter.

And I can still count to 10 on my fingers :D

A few years ago I had a 17 year old Polo - a great little car. I was driving into our local town, ten miles away, when ascending one of the many hills, it just died. I guessed that the fuel pump had failed. My neighbour came along to tow me to the local garage some 6 or 7 miles away. Just had a standard (Halfords type plastic rope with two big hooks) tow-rope. It was too long so we doubled it over the pickup ball hitch and both hooks on the welded front tow hook of the Polo. All went well, up and down hills (there's lots in Wales), abiding by the rules above!! Arrived in local town drew up at a junction - my neighbour turned right - I went straight on! The steering lock! :giggle:

One function of a tow ROPE (deliberate emphasis) that hasn't been mentioned and got me out of trouble a few years ago; I was stuck in mud with wheels spinning and going nowhere. An old-time lorry driver who was passing by got out his thick tow rope and laid it zigzag in front of one driven wheel and it provided enough traction to get me moving. I suspect it would also work in snow.

Fred

• Like 1