Climatronic fault

My local dealer has a fixed charge of c£12 a day for courtesy car insurance but I don't think I've had to pay it when car in for warranty work. If they tried charging me I would make a case for getting them to pay it.

Sarge.

I've had the same issue as the OP on my 2006 Vrs. I've just done the reset and its a little better,

As I was doing this I pressed the top right of the 4 buttons and some other numbers come up on the display ,

These could be changed by moving the dials,

Any idea what they do?( pic attached)

That is a diagnostic and information system that was in the preFL climatronic with the digital displays. You get to it by pressing the ECON and demist, I belive, button. You can then scoll between various "folders" using the left dial and then the different "subfolders" using the centre dial. I often do so as I can see a more accurate speed and also coolant temp and engine/aircon compressor revs. Quite interesting. I think there is a guide to using it in the technical guides section of the Octavia forums.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Stu, have you managed to get your heater problem sorted yet? I only ask as mine tried cooking me alive through the drivers outer face vent last night and only "reset" itself after I pulled over and turned the ignition off.

I'll mention it to the dealer in a bit as I've just discovered that the spare wheel they supplied is only on a 15" rim which won't be much use if a ever get a puncture on a front tyre... :wall:

Stu, have you managed to get your heater problem sorted yet? I only ask as mine tried cooking me alive through the drivers outer face vent last night and only "reset" itself after I pulled over and turned the ignition off.

I'll mention it to the dealer in a bit as I've just discovered that the spare wheel they supplied is only on a 15" rim which won't be much use if a ever get a puncture on a front tyre... emoticon-0179-headbang.gif

No not yet chappers, only because I can't give my car to the garage until the 21st of this month. If it happens again take it straight to the dealer but leave it running (I felt really uncomfortable doing this but the fault always resets its self when you turn the engine off) and ask for a techy to come and look at it. 5 mins later a techy arrives, fiddles with the controls and says its broken (no **** sherlock). He thinks it is a temp sensor but the won't know for sure until the whole dashboard is out :sweat: but at least it is all under warranty.

I would still mention it and ask for it to be scanned on the diagnostic computer but my fault didn't throw up any fault codes but you might be 'lucky' and get something.

I need to phone the dealer and mention the random alarm activations (lights only no siren) and the stone chip protector plastic film coming off the rear passanger door sills as well....... emoticon-0114-dull.gif

The alarm siren works btw. Ive tested it by locking the car and pressing the clutch pedal and it went ballistic at me :giggle: and it beeps everytime I lock and unlock it.

Mine is booked in for Monday (it was going to be this Thursday but I had a call earlier asking if I would mind waiting a couple of extra days as they are ordering in some new sensors just in case). Apparently the service guys are aware of a few instances of the sensors in some cars of the same rough build age being faulty and the dealer suspect that Skoda may have been supplied with a faulty batch so they are going to check it out and if they are swapping one then they've decided they may as well do both at the same time. They have also ordered me the correct sized spare wheel as well. Just got to see what courtesy car I get - I quite fancy trying out either a Fabia or Citigo in case I decide in the next few months to reclaim the Octy from the wife as she will need something for work!

Question, why are there two auto buttons/settings in the climate control?

The left one limits the max fan speed the car can use to heat/cool, useful in the summer if don't like the fan sound being too load when the car has been in the sun. On Bolero you either see a large or small fan symbol depending on which you press.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Car was dropped off in the garage this morning for the temp sensor/s to be changed and a few other bits to be done under warrenty/looked at so I will hopefully get it back tomorrow. So for the next couple of days I will be driving round in a bright yellow Citigo emoticon-0119-puke.gif . It' s so bad that even the girls behind the desk were chuckling at it and I was told that there was a paper bag in the glove box to put on when driving it ph34r.png and how they like playing tricks on the customers by saying that their courtesy car is the yellow one outside so when you look out you see a nice octy vRS hatch. They then have a giggle bursting their baloon by telling them that it is infact the citigo parked at the other side of the road, not the vRS in the forecourt that is for sale :giggle: . I wasalso asked if I needed any help finding it but I declined :giggle: .

I thought that it would be a shed when I got in to it but by the time I got home I loved it. Even if it is only the 60bhp version it is still a hoot to drive and there is even a throaty 3 cylinder warble from the engine when you give it some :happy: . Its not as slow as you might imagine either.

2013-02-21085739_zpse4b434be.jpg

2013-02-21085750_zpsc352b53c.jpg

Edited by Blackline Stu

Further update: The car is still in the garage and I got a phone call yesterday afternoon saying that the car won't be ready for me to pick up (26th).

I then got a phone call this morning saying that I will not get my car today as there is now a fault with the slip ring in the steering control module (whatever that is) and they have to order a new one. It sounds as if they are making progress but there is still no date for it to be returned yet. emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif It went in on thursday for what they thought was a 2 day job, but has turned in to a 7 day marathon. As much as I like the citigo (apart from the colour) I want my car back. I miss it. emoticon-0106-crying.gif

I got my car back from the garage on 1st march (9 days after it went in) but there is some stuff that it needs that is on back order so it needs to back in to the garage when that arrives.

When I picked it up I noticed that the front nearside alloy was kerbed :wall: so I pointed it out to the girls behind the service desk and the service manager came out to have a look. He concluded that it was there before it went in to the garage (it wasn't) but it hadn't been marked on the bodywork report so they said that they would pay for half the repair. :@ I drove away rather ****ed off and when I got home I washed all these white spots off the car that had appeared whilst in the garage (even tho they had washed it just before I picked it up apparently). While I was washing it I noticed that there were some scratches on the paintwork where they had been replacing the plastic stone chip tape just in front of the rear nearside wheel and then once I had finished I was driving out of my driveway and in the low sun I noticed a 8-10 inch long scratch on my front passanger side window. In addition to this the inside of the car was dirty when I picked it up, it was full of fingerprint marks all over the windows, there were marks on the windscreen where someone had put their head on it while it was in the garage. There were also broken clips in the foot wells that I'm guessing are from something behind the dashboard from when it was out. I have also noticed that there are scuffs on the glovebox lid as well.

I am now in contact with the dealer principal but I am unable to take the car in to the garage for the until the beginning of next month. I can see this dragging on for months.

Fuming is not the word...........

• 4 years later...

I have a similar problem on my 49k mileage 2011 Octavia 1.4 TSi. Car has worked perfectly since buying it in January 2015. On the way home from an aircon recharge by the Skoda dealer in Kidlington, Oxfordshire 3 weeks ago, the aircon was blowing blindingly hot when set to maximum cold, and nothing I could do would stop this. Took the car home and left it overnight.  (I now know, I should have gone straight back to the garage!) Tried it the next morning and everything was working normally so assumed it was a one-off.

Then the same issue happened again last week on a trip to the Channel Tunnel, and we had to keep the windows open for a good part of the journey as the heat coming out was incredible on both side vents. Seemed to be a bit worse on the passenger side. At the same time the rear window demister was not working though the dashboard light was illuminated. As we did not want to miss the shuttle we kept going and fiddling with various things. Turning all heating controls off and putting air recyling on appeared to stop it happening. Proceeded to Paris with all heating and aircon controls off. After 4 days parked in Paris, everything on the a/c and heating worked as normal again on the return trip.

However I was sure that there must be some glitch somewhere, and that the aircon recharge may have been connected to this. So took the car back to the Kidlington Skoda garage and spoke to the service manager. He said that the aircon recharge could not have been the cause as no mechanical  heating/aircon system parts are touched during a recharge. He did not offer to get a mechanic to take a look at the car. I persisted and said perhaps they could check it? His response was to say that this could cost me £200 or more and at best might only turn up a diagnostic from the plug-in code checker to say that the a/c and heating system had logged a temporary fault, but "not what was creating the fault".  I got the impression that this was something they did not want to look at, and I wondered why...

Took the car out again today for a short local trip and the problem returned with all its force. No control over the heating/aircon blowing hot all the time, and demister showing "on" but clearly not working. Stopped the car at our destination for about twenty minutes, turned all heating controls and aircon off and on the trip back home the heating did not come on.

It looks like others have had similar problems with "climatronic" - something I think my car does not have.

Any suggestions as to what to do would be gratefully received.