Octavia 2.0T FSI VRS Help

Ok Just test driven it.. simply HOLY S*IT, first off i wasnt prepeared for the brakes, thought i would lightly "touch the brakes" and almost pulled my head off lol.

Secondly the grunt... i was still in diesel mode so didnt rev it above 3.5k (found myself short shifting) but from the idle to the low rpm i was changed at with not very much right foot it seemed to pull....and pull and pull.

If anything it kinda intimidated me alittle, coming from a low end focus with 115bph and ?? torque i honestly wasnt prepared for the boot up the arse u got at what i consider to be a fairly minor amounf of throttle.

The car it self seems loverly, the rear tyres are brande new and there was a slight droning from them but tbh it was no more than i already get from the focus. The droning was audable at about 40mph but didnt get any louder and if anything at 80mph i stopped noticing it.

Had the wife in the back and we had no trouble talking to each other.

The paint work is fairly good... not amazing... but not bad, a few scratches on the boot hatch and door handles in normal places.

All 4 wheels have had a brush with the curb at some point but not huge scuffs.

The car started and drove well with no obvious noise, slight judering from the front which to me at least seemed like the front wheels were'nt balanced properly. Interior is tip top, little bit of wear on the gear stick top (shiney type).

After some wrangling there asking £6790, 64000 miles on it.

was hoping there would be an mpg gauge but couldnt see one... oh well insurance quote time.

Your expert oppiniouns would be great.

Thanks

Hi Craig

Looking on Which I got a dealer average valuation of between 6300 and 6900 adding side curtain airbags and pearl black paint. I also tried it wth the 18" alloys rather than 17" as it llooks like you might have 18" rims but it came back the same price, so they'e asking just short of top whack. How deep are the scratches as it looked really good in the photo? As pervious might be worth trying to get them to sort those and the wheel scuffs and I'd definitely want the front end wobble sorted before I bought it? have you seen any other examples close up so you've got something to compare it to re it's overall condition?

On the plus side it seems to have been well maintained, which is always important, especially with a performance car and it's only had 1 owner which is normally a good sign

Fuel consuption will depend on how you drive it and what your typical journeys are like, some get less than 30 mpg, while others seem to average around 37, which from memory is the official consumption and you can expect low 40s on a run if your not giving it some. as you're doing 3k a year that shouldn't be a big deal-petrols the obvious choice as your doing so few miles, though you might be pleasantly surprised re the insurance as Skodas are cheap to insure compared to other marques, tho you'll cop for £200+ for the tax

Bottom line is what do you think as it's your money? are you happy with the asking price and what sort of warrenty are they offering?

Hi

The scratches are pretty light tbh. That being said they did let me haggle on price.

They are gunna get the wheels repaired and have paid for a wheel balance and geomitry check.

Long story short... i am now a vrs owner, thanks for all the help!!

• Like 3

Hi

The scratches are pretty light tbh. That being said they did let me haggle on price.

They are gunna get the wheels repaired and have paid for a wheel balance and geomitry check.

Long story short... i am now a vrs owner, thanks for all the help!!

Wonder how much you'l ride the R1 now!

Welcome to the grin club

Enjoy

Ade

Good luck Craig and enjoy the car. If you see "mayonaisse" on the inside of the oil filler cap it will most likely be condensation due to shortish journeys. Don't panic. Make sure you use the right oil and it should run smoothly. It may need occasional topping up between services, again it's usual. You can pick up a large can of 4 litres or so for around £35.

£880 for a service, yeh right!

£6790 is way overpriced in my opinion.

sorry my bad it was £808 loads of stuff on the invoice to cover it including a "quoted" £370 to change the cam belt and water pump.

One thing ive noticed through the history tho.... every servince it has a new rear screen washer jet fittid at £5 lol.

Slight oddity tho, on one of the services its filled with long life oil...and on the next it just say "bulk" oil... my question is, why longlife oil?? with an oil change every year long life is alittle ott isnt it?

• Like 1

The washer jets seem to get blocked easily I just pop it off and soak it in some hot water. Seems to do the trick never replicated a nozzle jet yet.

I think Skoda have two service plans variable and fixed one of these of for high mileage so long life oil is used. You can change the service plan to the one that suits you. I'm on variable as like you i do low miles.

The washer jets seem to get blocked easily I just pop it off and soak it in some hot water. Seems to do the trick never replicated a nozzle jet yet.

I think Skoda have two service plans variable and fixed one of these of for high mileage so long life oil is used. You can change the service plan to the one that suits you. I'm on variable as like you i do low miles.

Hi Chaps,

There's a great deal of mis information surrounding the fixed and variable service plans used by Skoda. One is that they use different oil for each one- they don't, it's the same (for your engine) no matter which. The second is that if you do low milage the variable service plan is for you (maybe people think they can eek the intervals out and save money)- it's not, the variable service plan is aimed at people who do high milage, mostly on motorways. If you do low mileage you should be on the fixed 10,000 mile/12 months which ever comes 1st opion. The extact below is from the current MKII octavia brouchure. This is even more important with the higher performance engines IMO.

The other thing is if you check out the Skoda servicing costs it's no more expensive to go fixed vs variable and with the fixed if you're doing low miles you get an extra oil change too.

Cheers

Ade

Service Intervals

>

When you order your Octavia, you can choose whether your car is on a fixed or a

flexible service regime. Your retailer will help you decide which regime suits how

your car will be driven, enabling your car to stay in the best possible shape.

Fixed regime: Service every 10,000 miles or one year (whichever comes first).

This is recommended if the vehicle is likely to be used in the following way:

Driven fewer than 10,000 miles per annum and/or

and/or>

Mainly short journeys, drive mostly in towns or cities

> High vehicle loading/towing and frequent hill climbs

> and/or

Heavy accelerating and braking, using high revs

Flexible regime: Sensors in the engine detect when a service is needed. You will

be informed of this by a service light which will show at any point between 9,000

and 20,000 miles, up to 24 months (whichever comes first).

The flexible service regime is recommended for vehicles with a daily mileage of

more than 25 miles where the vehicle is driven regularly and mainly at a constant

speed with minimum vehicle and engine loading, minimal towing and driven in an

economical manner.

What ^ he said i got the wrong way round ???? I should of known I was on variable now on fixed because low mileage.

Skodas prices are very very competitive they are the cheapest in my area with some garages quoting 450 for a major service.

Yeah it is a bit confusing- apparently all cars come from the factory set as variable and if you want fixed interval servicing the dealer can do it for you on the PDI. Looking at other threads you can do it yourself via the maxidot etc, but you then can't change it back to variable if you start doing high milages/buy a car with it set to fixed already though the dealer can change it back to variable for you. Ultimately what you car is figured for only effects when the servicing light comes on, so if it's set to variable there shouldn't be anything to stop you booking a fixed service every 10k/12 months. I've got 3 years free servicing on the fixed 12 months 10K option though looking in my maxidot it's still set to variable on the car itself.

I now need a lie down....

• 2 weeks later...

I do about 12k between services about every 12-14 months. I rely on the service indicator to tell me when the variable service needs doing. Therefore it's not far off what I would expect on fixed. I reckon the amount of new oil I put in between each service probably helps to keep it ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Let us know how you get on

Ade

Hi Folks

Well ive had it for about 2 months now (covered 350miles) so thought i would drop a few thoughts as a newbie owner :D .

well ill be blunt... on the test drive i thought the car was ruddy epic...hence now owning it, and i can honestly say i have fallen in love with it.

Such a bloody good car i find myself smiling when im driving it, and staring at it when im not haha.

I love how it goes especially how it sounds when it is, i like then engine note and have prety much decided not to tinker with the exhaust.

Stops and turns well, only slight niggle is the ride is quite unforgiving on some of the horrible roads i have to drive to work on and it "feels" like theres a fair bit of body roll... but saying that i do find myself driving it alittle faster than the old diesel focus by accident (alot of the time ;) ) so chances are it isnt that bad its just im going faster than i have been on the same journey for the last 3 years.

Im impressed with the finish and the mountain of cubby holes dotted about, seats took some getting used to.. had to learn how to get in and out without looking like a fat bloke stuck in a bucket haha but there very comfortable.

The car is spacious and a nice place to be when your driving and its alot better on fuel than i imagined.

So yeah... all in all fecking epic, gunna get a light tint on the windows done and am considering either a vinyl stripe... or wrap, havnt decided.

Craig

Edited by Craigt191

Hi Folks

Well ive had it for about 2 months now (covered 350miles) so thought i would drop a few thoughts as a newbie owner :D .

well ill be blunt... on the test drive i thought the car was ruddy epic...hence now owning it, and i can honestly say i have fallen in love with it.

Such a bloody good car i find myself smiling when im driving it, and staring at it when im not haha.

Glad you're enjoying it, had mine 2 months too and feel exactly the same (although racked up a fair few more miles than yourself - 2.2k)

Great cars aren't they? Some real performance bargains to be had now, though I agree you probably paid a bit over the odds, but what the heck these are more than some rational accountants purchase.

One other thing to be aware of, though it sounds like yours is ok, is that the Diverter Valve can fail on the earlier TFSI versions possibly including yours. No dealer will ever spot it, unless they are really awake, but will manifest itself as sluggish performance, and a slight whistle from under the bonnet under hard acceleration. Costs about £70 - £80 including fiting to rectify it.

Of course, what you really need to do is remap it. If you thought the jump from Focus diesel to the vRS was big, well, just be prepared. It's highly addictive.

Well they wanted £6790 but i maneged to twist there arm down to £6400, which i was happy with tbh, had been recently serviced, new brakes and tyres all round etc etc. Theres also a fair amount of peace of mind knowing that i can see the dealer i bought it from from my house lol

and i got a resonable trade in price for the focus so all in all its not cost me a great deal.

Fair enough. I recall I got around 4k trade in for my 3yr old focus tdci with 90k and a pranged front wing, but then the sticker price was nearly £10k. That was 2 years ago, when the octy had 46k miles and fdsh, plus 4 new tyres, years ved, and a years approved warranty. Been the best value car ive owned for a long time, if ever.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2