Battery upgrade

My wifes Superb (2011 140HP DSG) has started to feel tired lately and I've had to charge the battery a few times because it wouldnt start so I found this thread and thought: Perfect, this must be the best solution for me as well to change the battery to a bigger one.

Was absolutely sure I had the 61Ah til I opened the bonnet. It's 72Ah.

Would you still recommend me to change to a "bigger/stronger" one ?

This is the one I have today.

battery.jpg

The measures are: 278mm long x 190mm high x 145mm wide

I think your battery is 175mm wide?

It is possible to fit a 315mm x 175mm x 190mm battery. Requires some minor modifications to the battery tray and the securing ribs at the bottom of the battery.

I have installed a 80 Ah AGM 315mm x 175mm x 190mm in my Yeti.

• 3 months later...

It's an insulation part, it helps stop the cold getting to the battery and retains the warmth of the last run, plus it's easy to in/out/replace as well, hth,

de.

Not entirely correct. It's mostly there to try and protect it from the heat of the engine bay. Excessive heat shortens battery life causes accelerated positive plate corrosion.

My fathers 8 year old Passat is still on it's original 61ah Varta Battery. My 2013 Passat is fitted with a AGM battery.

Edited by Micky 32

• 1 month later...

Hello all

I've just bought a Superb 2010 1.8 TFSI DSG from a Skoda Dealer with a year's warranty, and after a long 60 mile run then playing with the toys (admittedly with the ignition on but engine not running) for 20 mins the battery failed to start the engine.  Had to get the AA out who got me started again and it's been fine since, but even after a long run the battery only seems to hold about 11.7v.  The Skoda dealer who sold me the car said this was fine, but I thought they should be around 12.6v.

Any thoughts?

I do happen to have a spare battery from my 5 series which looks the same proportions but has a higher 90 Ah (rather than 70 from the Banner one) and 720 CCA (rather than 570) but I didn't know if you could go too high?  Alternator etc came up fine in checks...

Thanks

Dan

Thanks - will give it a crack. Am I right in thinking that the battery should have more than 11.8v after a decent run with the ignition off? Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends when you take your voltage reading. With all systems shut down, your battery voltage should be high into the 12V range (ie 12.5+).

But if you are taking the reading straight after you have turned the ignition off after a long drive, then 11.8V doesn't seem to bad, as some of the electrical systems will still be running on the car.

If the only problem that you have had with the battery was when you drained it playing with the toys, then it sounds like it will probably be fine.

But if your old 5-series battery will fit, then the extra capacity and CCA will be a nice bonus for you (particularly the CCA come winter time).

Edited by JakeBlade

Thanks Jake - skoda dealer today said that it was only a 12V battery so 11.7/11.8v should be fine and seems to be running ok since so will just put it down to toy-playing. Until it happens again...

Thanks for the replies

They're all 12V batteries Dan, but a properly charged one, resting without load, should be sitting at about 12.6V.

Anything lower than about 11.5V and you will struggle to start your car in winter, unless you have a battery with high Cold Cranking Amps (CCA).

If you have Start Stop fitted it is essential to use an AGM battery & to programme it into the Gateway with the correct specification.

Modern Start Stop systems need to know the battery specification in order to operate correctly & prevent issues with the start stop system.

Battery regulation in module 61 is for older vehicles, all modern VAG with Start Stop now have the battery regulation data installed in the gateway.

Just because you fitted a bigger battery to your 2001 Octavia and didn't have an issue does not mean you can do the same with a 2015 model with a vast number of electronic systems, LIN controlled charge output, start stop, different charge rate mapping whether on the over run or acceleration etc.

The modern car is a complex computer controlled device which should not have parts thrown at it with gay abandon on the basis of you want a bigger battery - an expensive series of issues may develop. See the Ross Tech video on replacing batteries.   

Note the bit where it says "use dealer batteries"

Bosch provide a good training course on modern energy management systems & the importance of battery type, specification and programming the correct specification to the vehicle in order to maintain all systems functioning correctly.

The battery charge characteristic in energy management for say a 61ah battery that is 5 years old & one that is 5 weeks old is different to take into account the deacying performance of the older battery.

Fitting a battery without updating the data in energy management can result in premature failure of the new battery, system faults etc.

Parasitic load is monitored in energy management (the power the vehicle takes from it's battery when not in use) if excessive loss of voltage is detected systems will be shut down to accomodate this. if you leave your car for 2 weeks at the airport your car is reacting to its batteries state of charge while you are sipping cocktails by the pool - it will endeavour to maintain a good starting capacity for when you return from your jollies. This is why you now have a smaller battery than your old stone age vehicle 15 years ago - your new car if fitted with battery regulation is a bit smarter than the old technology from years gone by.

hth

Yep - no stop-start here!

To update - I'd booked into my local Skoda garage to have the battery bench-charged this afternoon and guess what - it wouldn't start!! Waiting for Skoda Assist now and will then head there, but just had a very frustrating call with Skoda UK who said that I had to pay for the diagnostics and that even if the battery was found to be at fault (two weeks after buying the car) they wouldn't cover it.

Not the greatest start to my Skoda experience...

That is shocking.

Is the car back with the skoda garage that you bought it from? If so, then I would've thought that they should be the ones paying for the new battery and diagnostics.

If you end up having to pay for a new battery, then Tayna online is your friend. Low prices, and next day delivery.

My 2012 has a 74ah battery. Through the winter the battery went flat a few times which I put down to lots of short journeys amped a wife who switches everything possible on before starting the car. On July 18th with the car fully loaded ready to go on holiday the battery was dead. On jump staring off one of our other cars the dash was like Blackpool illuminations with all warning lights on. After a spell of idling all went of except a bulb warning light ( all bulbs OK) and a steering lock warning. I tried the steering lock repeatedly and it seemed OK so used the car and booked it into the main dealer for July 28th - where it remains. Apparently the steering lock module they are replacing is the latest model,and despite Skoda UK's involvement they cannot code it to,the car!!!!

Despite initial dislike I'm getting used to the Rapid Spaceback - a nice little car but not a Superb L&K Combi, DSG 4x4!

Thanks huwcymru - mine has a 70A battery (see photo below) and currently with Skoda Azur in Chichester getting diagnosed. After restarting by the AA there was still a 2amp battery drain ten minutes after turning the engine off so hopefully they can find something.

I had a long talk to the Sales Manager at SG Smith in Croydon (who sold me the car) and was really disappointed by his attitude. He didn't want to admit there was anything wrong and just tried to distance himself from the problem. Hardly the customer service I expected

16147edec59dfa5bbffcd4446a4644a8.jpg

Thanks huwcymru - mine has a 70A battery (see photo below) and currently with Skoda Azur in Chichester getting diagnosed. After restarting by the AA there was still a 2amp battery drain ten minutes after turning the engine off so hopefully they can find something.

I had a long talk to the Sales Manager at SG Smith in Croydon (who sold me the car) and was really disappointed by his attitude. He didn't want to admit there was anything wrong and just tried to distance himself from the problem. Hardly the customer service I expected

16147edec59dfa5bbffcd4446a4644a8.jpg

Does that dealer have the 30-day exchange programme? Perhaps asking the sales manager how you go about exchanging the car might make him a bit more interested in your predicament.

I did try that at the end of the conversation and he said it was only if the vehicle was at fault (not what I was told before buying).

To be honest, I've got a fair few problems with their sale. It was sold as one lady owner and actually both a husband and wife had owned it. It was sold as full Skoda service history, but apart from the oil changes every year they've missed all the other planned bits (fuel filter, pollen filter, spark plugs, brake fluid) which should have been done on a 5yr old 60k vehicle.

Hardly a smooth purchase so far...

• 2 weeks later...

This is getting a little silly now.  Car spent 2 days with Azur Skoda in Chichester (great service) and had the all clear for any battery drain, alternator or even battery problem.  They said that the battery wasn't perfect but didn't need replacing in their view.  Then just took it to Bournemouth for the weekend (60 miles each way) and wouldn't start on the way back after just maybe 10mins of setting up sat nav without the engine running...

I suspect that the battery itself is knackered despite what they say, and the CCA rating of 570A is probably a little weedy.  I'm speaking to the garage again tomorrow as I think it's only right they put a new battery in, but I think it needs a better spec one - probably aim for Bosch S5 or such like.

Alternatively,  have started asking for the 30 day exchange program (runs out for me next week) as loosing faith a little, but not much on their books of interest...

Not this time - both other times but this time I jump-started it. Am now pretty convinced it's just a 5yr old battery and was a low spec one anyway. Probably passes their tests as "ok" but under any load it gives up the gas easily...

It's just a little too big I suspect. SG Smith have finally said they'll take the car in and swap the battery over - hopefully getting to the end of this...