DRL

The LED DRL's on the vRS are bright during the day, using them at full brightness during the night would be inconsiderate to others.

Having them so that they don't dim with the switch set to sidelights would result in them not dimming with the switch set to dipped headlights either, i.e full brightness at night.

That's quite interesting as I have seen many a motor with normal lights on and as far as I can see full brightness DLRs but they are other lesser car manufacturers lol I will have have to have a proper look next time I'm out.

This was a question I was going to ask when I get my FL next year, I just think it looks rubbish when the are dimmed, and I wouldn't say they are remotely startling or blinding on full, xenons are a lot brighter IMO but I've been know to be wrong lol, oh well

Heres an official blah

Daytime running lights (sometimes referred to as DRLs or daylight running lamps) are low-wattage bulbs that are fitted to a car to improve visibility during daylight hours. As of 7th February 2011* DRLs have become a mandatory fitting to all new type approved passenger vehicles (except trailers).

DRLs must switch on with the vehicle ignition and switch off when the vehicle sidelights are switched on. They can also be made to function as front position (side) lights, which operate at a reduced intensity when the vehicle sidelights are switched on.

• Like 1

Can you then have the DRL's on along with the rear lights? I'd like the day light running function to have the rear lights on too at all times because I like the "c" glowing at all times!

Then...until you switch on the side lights the front DRL's can dim. I always get annoyed why I can't use my MaxiDot to activate this. :)

I've seen many other cars with full brightness LED DRLs and have the rear lights on too.

This was a question I was going to ask when I get my FL next year, I just think it looks rubbish when the are dimmed, and I wouldn't say they are remotely startling or blinding on full, xenons are a lot brighter IMO but I've been know to be wrong lol, oh well

Dipped headlights are brighter but they are aimed down so as not to dazzle other road users.

DRL's aren't as bright but are aimed straight ahead as they are designed to be seen and not to see with.

Therefore at night full strength DRL's would likely dazzle, hence the legislation that requires them to dim or turn off when sidelights or dipped headlights are turned on.

Can you then have the DRL's on along with the rear lights? I'd like the day light running function to have the rear lights on too at all times because I like the "c" glowing at all times!

Then...until you switch on the side lights the front DRL's can dim. I always get annoyed why I can't use my MaxiDot to activate this. :)

I've seen many other cars with full brightness LED DRLs and have the rear lights on too.

This is possible on the pre-facelift (when the DRL's make use of dipped headlights) but I'm not sure about the facelift Octavia.

It is legal as there are a few BMW models that utilise the rear tail lights at the same time as the front DRL's.

These will be aftermarket units that have been fitted, and will have been simply hard wired to come on with the ignition, and go off when the ignition is switched off. Would probably be failed on MOT if they don't at least dim with the normal lights on.

Mike

Not any of them were aftermarket at all Mike. The ones I have seen are Audi's and Mercedes, and other mainstream manufactures...

• Like 1

Audi and Mercedes LED DRL's all dim when sidelights/dipped headlights are turned on.

Audi LED DRL's work the same as those on the vRS, so if you've seen an Audi with DRL's at full brightness and rear lights on too then they have been coded that way after they left the factory.

• 3 months later...

"Can you then have the DRL's on along with the rear lights? I'd like the day light running function to have the rear lights on too at all times because I like the "c" glowing at all times!"

Yes, you can. It's just a coding issue. I have mine set this way so I always have lights on at the back. IIRC it's called 'Scandinavian'.

Sarge.

I have a 2009 L&K spec ....does this have DRL capability and if so how do I activate it?

Yes...

SkodaOctaviaDRL.jpg

If following the procedure outlined in the manual doesn't work (you have Maxidot so the DRL function should appear in the lighting menu) then you need to visit a dealer for them to first activate the function. Once activated the ability for you to turn them on and off becomes available.

• Like 1

Carnut -- at 2009 your car is on the changeover age and you haven't told us which side of that changeover it is -- it could either be a late preFL or an early FL. As said, if it's an early FL you can do it through maxidot, if its a preFL you need to have it programmed with VCDS.

Silver's picture is for the FL. Only the FL models have the extra dedicated DRL bulb in the fog light unit.

If yours is a preFL the only options are to use are:

a. dipped heads only when handbrake is released (North American option)

b. dipped heads, rears and number plate lights whenever ignition is on (Scandinavian option)

and there is a setting within VCDS to allow front fogs to be used instead of dipped beam.

Mike

Hi mike .its a FL first reg 09/07/2009 . I have booked it into my dealer for setting at £57 which compares rather favorably with MB who charge £80-£100 for diagnostics!!

post-98063-0-37023700-1365503083_thumb.jpg

Edited by carnut

• 1 month later...

Carnut -- at 2009 your car is on the changeover age and you haven't told us which side of that changeover it is -- it could either be a late preFL or an early FL. As said, if it's an early FL you can do it through maxidot, if its a preFL you need to have it programmed with VCDS.

Silver's picture is for the FL. Only the FL models have the extra dedicated DRL bulb in the fog light unit.

If yours is a preFL the only options are to use are:

a. dipped heads only when handbrake is released (North American option)

b. dipped heads, rears and number plate lights whenever ignition is on (Scandinavian option)

and there is a setting within VCDS to allow front fogs to be used instead of dipped beam.

Mike

Right then. i am new to all this drl malarkey, so how do i make my 2006 octavia foglights act as drl's, and possibly turning lights? is it at all do able? Please be nice, i have vcds but need step by step instructions. lol

Do you have VCDS? You'll need this to set your fogs as DRL's and reduce their brightness when in DRL mode.

The cornering fog light function only became available from a certain point. I have them activated on my 2007 (57) vRS but I'm not sure if it will be possible on a 2006...

EDIT... doh, I just saw you said you already have VCDS :blush:

Edited by silver1011