Starter motor bush?

Is there a bush which the end of the starter motor pinion gear goes into when the motor is enganged? I went into an auto electrics place today and they told me that it might be worn and need a new one? I can't find it on the VAG cat diagrams or any reference to it in the haynes manual. I changed the clutch earlier this ear and can't rmemember seeing an obvious bush in the bellhousing (I wasn't looking for one though) or is it attached to the engine block? It's for a diesel pick up.

not sure what your problem is but if its the case the starter is spinning and wont fire the engine up it could be the bushes on the starter itself, i had that problem on the 1.9d estate that i have. i removed the starter and cleaned it up and its fine now hth nigel.

You can replace the bush in the end of the starter nose, it makes a big difference. I sourced a new one from an auto electrical wholesaler. It is very common for it to wear. The early golf tdi starter I use for the drive units also has the same bearing and doesn`t seem to wear the same so I swop that too.

Won`t edit, so I`ll add. If the circlip doesn`t hold the pinion in tight and there is slop the self destruction starts.

When I replace just the starter clutch unit I weld the circlip to the shaft

Edited by rolo

Thanks for all the help guys. Haribo, my starter sounds like its not engaging with the ring gear, its not let me down yet and I'm gonna rebuild my starter as you suggest. I've got some new brushes off amazon.

Rolo, not sure what you mean by 'nose' on the starter?? Is it a bt on the end of the pinion? Because mine doesnt hve one, just the pinion gear. I had a look at a new one in a motor factors near me and the end wasn't the same (but if there isn't a bush this 'nose' slides into, I cn't see what difference this would make?). Anyone got a picture of what mine should look like they could email me? The haynes manual only deals with the piddly petrol starter!

Happy new year everyone!

Starter nose is the front of the aluminium housing that the mounting bolts fit through. The bush you need to replace sits there behind the grease seal, it is the only bush to support the pinion, nothing supports the other end. Slight play in it makes a big difference when amplified to the end of the throw. If there is play within the drive itself as well the gear barely meshes with the flywheel.

As I said, the best way to repair one is to use a 10 tooth golf one for bits.

Edited by rolo

well, I took mine to bits, cleaned it all really well, lubed it all up, put it back together, put it back on the truck, works fine! yay! I did manage to get some new brushes, which I didn't put on as there was still a good bit of meat left on the originals. Many thanks again fellas.

Did I say bushes? I meant brushes, I got them off amazon, took a while to match up model numbers, If its brushes you require and not bushes I would take your starter apart first and check whether you need them. My truck has done 150k and there was still plenty of meat left on the brushes. If you need brushes, you can buy mine if you want?