The odd curdling/gravel mixing

vRSAnt

Odd sucking / sort of ticking noise at a certain point, the kind of noise I have only ever heard on a petrol carburettor driven car.

Am I the only one to get this noise ? Its been suggested before it could be exhaust manifold but the only thing I had off recently was the inlet manifold but though I'd tightened up. Could it be needing a new gasket maybe ?

Really annoying when stuck in traffic, 3rd or 4th, 25-40mph, most noticeable as the engine no longer sounds smooth because of this.

Just sounds a bit like a ( muted ) very light gravel mixing or something which comes most noticeably for this brief band on acceleration. Its difficult to describe and I tried to record it but all I hear is cabin noise back.

Its not something I'm really that aware of when running proper motorway speeds which may have something to explain where the noise is coming from

Closest I can hear at idle is the engine starting to sound a bit like that around 2.2K rpm, but doesn't sound exactly like it, maybe it takes load on the engine.

I think its engine/drive related as the noise comes at a specific drive speed in gear/clutch fully engaged only.

Doesn't seem to have any relevance to the ability to take up drive especially, nothing blow off.

Not a loud kind of mixing that would suggest the worst, but just more kind of annoying niggle. I first thought it sounds like fuel or something being sucked through a filter or something, or something to do with pump.

I wonder if this might get picked up/eradicated when I got to Unit18 to have a replacement clutch done. Also changing my shocks/springs shortly and probably turbo too

Just one of those really annoying things especially as I seem to be increasingly stuck at these kind of daft speeds :|

Help

Totally, totally, untuned. I've yet to do anything massively modified to the car. Just the minor tweaks like the EGR gasket, then the elephant mod, etc.

The only thing I can think of is something I disturbed on clearing out the intake manifold. I wish I'd made a mental note though of whether this arose after this or if it has been prevalent and just got slightly worse.

Its more on the side of annoying rather than a problem, at the moment.

That's it, its almost more pinking than anything, really hard to tell what it could be.

Its just a noise that annoys me and boils my ****. I guess once I start to change a few things out, have things tweaked etc I might get someone to realise what it is. Could even be related to my clutch/dmf which has almost done a good 100K now...dunno....

Nah more like 3rd around 25-> starting to happen, 4th - I'm just about in 40mph...must take a look at the revs to see if it coincides with anything specific good point there

Update: Not revs specific

I had been spoiling the car a bit with the richer fuel. I'm gonna continue to do that to test the idea of pinking, as I would imagine its less likely with better fuel, like V Power etc.

It does seem to fit into the pinking possibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking