When happy meets sad

999pooch

Well the time has come to sell my beloved Octavia vRS. A very sad day :(

The good news is - I've only gone a bought a 62 plate S4 :D

I've been deliberating for months now about getting the S4, and just couldn't justify the expense. That and I really liked my Octavia. However a few events lately have made me think life is just too short to worry about things like this. So in a moment of madness I drove to Lincoln Audi and did the deal.

Spec is as follows (over standard which is already pretty good):

Bang & Olufson sounds (& DAB radio)

Bluetooth

Tech Pack High (Sat Nav & Multimedia interface)

Supersports seats (heated & electric)

The S4 now comes with S-Tronic as standard, so this will be my first auto (semi-auto) I have owned so hoping I like it. I enjoyed the test drive so all should be good.

I pick it up on Friday so can't wait. Got the day off work so no guesses what I be doing all day :D

Anyway I have just joined the audi forum & met Nickyboy & Longdog over there. Both previous Skoda owners now with S4's. Seems to be a trend!

TBH if Skoda did a 4WD sports saloon I would have it in a flash, but we all know why they don't!

I'm going to still hang around here from time to time as I have always found it to be a great friendly forum (99.9% of memmbers anyhow)

What about the 4wd 3.6 V6 superb? I know it's more of a comfy barge, but a 3.6 V6? :D

Nice cars, but as you said they are a barge.

I have always had sports saloons / hot hatches and suppose that's my thing :devil:

Cracking car the new S4, very jealous. Not jealous of your running and purchase costs though but i agree life is too short so why not.

Got absolutely smoked by one of these in my last car, BMW diesel. Nothing dangerous before someone starts preaching but i was amazed how quick they are. I knew i wouldnt keep up with him but i was very surprised how much faster the S4 was. He was probably really envious of my MPG though ill bet.

I think you will love the s-tronic setup aswell as i love my dsg in my octy and loved it previoulsy in my golf so i would imagine it suits the S4 very well.

I cant see you having anything other than good times in your new car. Enjoy.

Excellent news congratulations! Beautiful cars :) what coulour did you go for? (Please not black!) do these come with Xenons as standard?

Ps. I hope to see some pictures on Friday! :)

Excellent news congratulations! Beautiful cars :) what coulour did you go for? (Please not black!) do these come with Xenons as standard?

Ps. I hope to see some pictures on Friday! :)

Yeah, xenons as std, not had them before either :)

Went for Monsoon Grey, actually suits the car really well I think, very understated. I had the Black on the vRS, and I have an unwritten rule of never having the same colour on 2 consecutive cars. Makes more a a noticable change I think.

I think you will love the s-tronic setup aswell as i love my dsg in my octy and loved it previoulsy in my golf so i would imagine it suits the S4 very well.

Cheers Jock. I thinks its a forgone conclusion that I'll enjoy it. Going to have some fun learning the best way to use the S-tronic. :D

Cracking car the new S4, very jealous. Not jealous of your running and purchase costs though but i agree life is too short so why not.

Got absolutely smoked by one of these in my last car, BMW diesel. Nothing dangerous before someone starts preaching but i was amazed how quick they are. I knew i wouldnt keep up with him but i was very surprised how much faster the S4 was. He was probably really envious of my MPG though ill bet.

This may come as a bit of a shock but I'm getting better mpg out of my S4 than I was from my Octy! I'm just waiting to do a steady motorway run to see what I can get, I averaged 38mpg before Xmas on a 30 mile A19 run which I was pretty impressed with.

Looking back I think there may have been something wrong with the Skoda!

This may come as a bit of a shock but I'm getting better mpg out of my S4 than I was from my Octy! I'm just waiting to do a steady motorway run to see what I can get, I averaged 38mpg before Xmas on a 30 mile A19 run which I was pretty impressed with.

Looking back I think there may have been something wrong with the Skoda!

38mpg! that is very impressive. Somehow I can't see me getting anywhere near that for a few weeks. :D

38 is that it.

See page 3 on here:

http://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=97892&start=15

In relation to running costs the S4 isn't so savage. My insurance went down from £1350 on the VRS to £935 on the S4. The VRS was stage 1 though. Fuel consumption is awful in traffic but cruising it is brilliant. My average MPG has ranged from 16.9 to 44.1.

Edited by Nicky boy

38 is that it.

See page 3 on here:

http://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=97892&start=15

In relation to running costs the S4 isn't so savage. My insurance went down from £1350 on the VRS to £935 on the S4. The VRS was stage 1 though. Fuel consumption is awful in traffic but cruising it is brilliant. My average MPG has ranged from 16.9 to 44.1.

Just done the insurance, and its gone down to £298 for the S4! £80 cheaper than the vRS. Bonkers, but happy :)

Just done the insurance, and its gone down to £298 for the S4! £80 cheaper than the vRS. Bonkers, but happy :)

There has been a lot of Audis stolen around Aberdeen in the last few weeks, its all over the news up here. Check for a spare plastic key stuck to the roof of the glove box. Apharently audi stick them here hence why the crooks are targeting audis. An RS4 was stolen a couple of nights ago so you could imagine the ragging it got. An S4 like yours would be prime target for the little minky barstewards.

There has been a lot of Audis stolen around Aberdeen in the last few weeks, its all over the news up here. Check for a spare plastic key stuck to the roof of the glove box. Apharently audi stick them here hence why the crooks are targeting audis. An RS4 was stolen a couple of nights ago so you could imagine the ragging it got. An S4 like yours would be prime target for the little minky barstewards.

They have their pick in Aberdeen everyone drives a nice car - even the thieves!

Must admit this is a big worry. Mine will be on the roadside at night, albeit in a very quiet cul dec sac.

Has anyone put any extra security on their car? Tracker or extra immobiliser?

Don't worry about it too much, if your car is targeted (a lottery win is probably as likely) as long as no body is hurt just let the insurance deal with it. Mines garaged at night and when not in use and has no extra security fitted but if someone really wants it then they can have it as long as my 2 dogs don't mind!

Enjoy your car.

Don't worry about it too much, if your car is targeted (a lottery win is probably as likely) as long as no body is hurt just let the insurance deal with it. Mines garaged at night and when not in use and has no extra security fitted but if someone really wants it then they can have it as long as my 2 dogs don't mind!

Enjoy your car.

GAP insurance might be a good idea. Im sure your car will be fine but can you stomach the insurance shortfall? Not sure which regions are being affected but in Aberdeen the police are putting on extra patrols to combat it as its that bad currently.

GAP insurance might be a good idea. Im sure your car will be fine but can you stomach the insurance shortfall? Not sure which regions are being affected but in Aberdeen the police are putting on extra patrols to combat it as its that bad currently.

Yeah got the GAP insurance, first time I've had this but the higher value of the car and its depreciation scared me a bit.

Also got the wheel & tyre insurance @ £300. Allows 10 x wheel refurbs and 10 x punctures over 3 years. I'm pretty anal when it comes to wheels so I reckon I'll get my monies worth!

Yeah got the GAP insurance, first time I've had this but the higher value of the car and its depreciation scared me a bit.

Also got the wheel & tyre insurance @ £300. Allows 10 x wheel refurbs and 10 x punctures over 3 years. I'm pretty anal when it comes to wheels so I reckon I'll get my monies worth!

I fancied the wheel insurance but I was told that it's not available on the black edition due to the diamond cut rotors which cannot be smart repaired - bummer, as I think it's quite a good deal, I did get the dent repair thrown in though so to all bad.

Enjoy your new car. Sounds great.

I love these stories when people do things on a whim. The excitement is almost tangible from the original post.

Picked her up yesterday :) didn't get there till fairly late and took a couple of hours to go through all the formalities.

Due to a couple of other things I had to do, only got to drive her home in traffic :(

Even so, first impressions are really good. The car actually looked better than I imagined, the grey with silver trim / mirrors looks really classy.

Inside is soooooo well put together, and the B&O sound system is epic.

Other things to note, Quattro is brilliant. On a cold, greasy tarmac it had no problem getting the power down from a standing start. Something that persistantly griped me in other cars.

Oh and the engine burble, mmmmmmm.......

Anyhow, hopefully going to get a proper drive today. Will post some piccies over the weekend :D

Enjoy, sounds a great car.

I keep looking at them on trader, really want one but so far head is winning over heart.

The vrs will be going shortly and then it's a boring company car diesel either a 320d, A4 2.0 tdi or a V60 d4. Although a cash allowance and a s4 sounds a much better option :-)

Enjoy, sounds a great car.

I keep looking at them on trader, really want one but so far head is winning over heart.

The vrs will be going shortly and then it's a boring company car diesel either a 320d, A4 2.0 tdi or a V60 d4. Although a cash allowance and a s4 sounds a much better option :-)

I've gone with my head too many times. This time I just three caution to the wind & said f*** it (pardon my language, but thats exactly what I said).

I'm really glad I did now :D

Depreciation wise, I lost £6k on my vRS over 2 years. I reckon if I keep the S4 for 3 years its going to lose about £10k, so overall not much difference. Just a bigger outlay at the beginning.

Edited by 999pooch