New vrs?

I knew this would happen, sat in dealer whilst mine us having some work done, and suddenly I'm test driving an 11 plate 2.0 tsi with under 2k on the clock, yours sir for £289 pcp 3 year deal. OTR price is £16k which seems good...

Mine has now done 80k+ miles, and I need it for 20k year business mileage. Should I pull the trigger? It's in black, and an estate, both of which I'd choose tbh.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I've been thinking the same recently as there will be good discounts on mk2s before they new ones come along. Mine is a 56 reg with 55k and is starting to cost money so it makes sense in that regard but how will they depreciate and will you be jealous of people with the mk3?

Personally i think its more sensible to grab a great deal on a new/nearly new MK2 vRS whilst you still can rather than wait for the new one to come along.

Two things....the new one will be more expensive than the current car....they are talking 22k but we all know its OTR price will probably be nearer 23.5k in reality factoring in likely metallic paint costs etc.

Secondly Skoda wont offer any deals on the new one for a good long while....i know for a fact I wouldnt pay near list price for one. Used stock will be minimal for a long time too and prices will be strong until such time the forecourts become flooded with them.

If its a PCP deal then residuals and having to sell it on at the end of the term are not issues either.

Case in point....just bought a Blackline estate DSG, listed at 23.5, paid 19k for it, costing just under 300/month over 3.5 years, been built already so not really having to wait long for it either. Sure the new one will be better, but several thousand pounds better....definitely not.

I reckon the swap is a sound decision as long as you are happy with the car and deal.

Edited by pipsyp

An 11 plate car thats barely been driven is a bit of a find too. Most of the ex-demo vehicles I looked at had several thou on the clock. I would just be inclined to find out reason for sale and if its been in an accident and sold on. Unlikely but worth checking out in my book as its either very honest or therea a reason its on a forecourt with such low mileage.

It's a main dealer ex demo, and no, no accident. Selling because they want to make way for mark 3 and you can't buy a mark 2 petrol vrs anymore, none available so a demo car is pointless to them.

20k in a petrol? I get paid 20p a mile, so therefore 31mpg is break even, as it's almost exclusively company mileage. Plus, I doubt you could find a CR vrs for that price, so I'd need to save £2 to £3k on fuel in 3 years to simply match the petrol. I did the maths, and I'd be saving money for the last 6 months, so it's a no brainer for me since I'm not a derv fan.

Grizzle, I'm a bit concerned about the chain tensioner failures, so I want a written comittment from them that it is covered by the warranty.

The biggest downside is that it is much slower than my current vrs, and I won't remap it as they have told me the warranty will not be supported for any associated failures (ie anything to do with the engine basically) and I don't want to entertain embarking on a lengthy legal fight with a dealer and SKUK. Oh, and all the sporty exhaust rortiness has vanished, sounds like a cooking Yaris from the drivers seat......

• Like 1

I've been thinking the same recently as there will be good discounts on mk2s before they new ones come along. Mine is a 56 reg with 55k and is starting to cost money so it makes sense in that regard but how will they depreciate and will you be jealous of people with the mk3?

55k is a baby. Mine's on 85k, just coughed up £350 on a new rear offside wheel bearing.....

Grizzle, I'm a bit concerned about the chain tensioner failures, so I want a written comittment from them that it is covered by the warranty.

All of the failures (5 or so I think in total?) that have been discussed on here have been sorted under warranty with the exception of the Santa Pod drag race guy.

I think a bargain too - price reduced from £17k to £15.5k . There were only 19 vrs petrol wagons in the entire SKUK dealer network yesterday evening, and this was £1500 cheaper than the next under 5k miles.

Picking it up Thursday, next stop Mansfield....

since this topic started I've been looking at second hand petrol vRS's and there doesn't seem to be many on Skoda's site. Can you local dealer get you a car from another dealer if you want to buy it?

Hope you like the new ride :-)

I think the OP explained succinctly why he is interested in a petrol and the economics. He is not going to be penalised, will pay much less to buy it and have the extra zip when he needs it. Now if he was buying it for personal use it would be an entirely different matter if he was worried about costs.

since this topic started I've been looking at second hand petrol vRS's and there doesn't seem to be many on Skoda's site. Can you local dealer get you a car from another dealer if you want to buy it?

Hope you like the new ride :-)

Difficult as they will have to buy the car from the other dealer and will still want to profit on it; means you'd likely end up with even less room for negotiation; you'd also have to commit to buying it

Surely though aren't the running costs far higher than for the diesel?

The 170 CR engine is a corker...gets a bit of a hard time from the turbo petrol fans but there is no denying that in standard form at least its very little slower than the TSi and considerably more efficient. Sadly though diesel is not for everyone and people are often put off by their higher list price and they are more expensive used...what they dont consider is that the residual values on the CR diesel are considerably stronger (6.8k vs 8.9k after 3.5 years PCP) so there is actually very little in it.

I've got to confess I'd have preferred a TSi but the Blackline is CR only, 30mpg will rub me up the wrong way after a while and its likely to retain much better residual value down the line...I hate pumping money upfront into PCPs so I tend to think with my head nowadays

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 1

I don't think anybody gives the diesels a hard time, simply the petrol drivers choose a car that will hang on in gear and pass when required. In real road conditions most half decent cars driven madly enough can keep up with either the petrol or diesel. I bought a petrol VRS not to wildly exceed the limit but to overtake where perhaps in a diesel it might not be possible. Before a diesel/petrol war breaks out, I mean standard cars. No remaps or mad driving. For most drivers it's pure economics. As a private buyer and limited mileage user, petrol wins every time. Oh yes Stever750 enoy your car.

I don't think anybody gives the diesels a hard time, simply the petrol drivers choose a car that will hang on in gear and pass when required. In real road conditions most half decent cars driven madly enough can keep up with either the petrol or diesel. I bought a petrol VRS not to wildly exceed the limit but to overtake where perhaps in a diesel it might not be possible. Before a diesel/petrol war breaks out, I mean standard cars. No remaps or mad driving. For most drivers it's pure economics. As a private buyer and limited mileage user, petrol wins every time. Oh yes Stever750 enoy your car.

Theres no argument, i agree the TSi overall is a better drive; the problem is that to get the best out of any TSi i've driven they need to be driven pretty hard; as a consequence they return poor fuel economy when used as nature intended.

The diesel isnt quite so quick or perhaps as satisfying but you can use the performance and not suffer horrendously at the pumps.

Case in point....I currently run a Fabia vRS estate...cracking little car, fun and great performance for what it cost....however given its supposed to return somewhere near 45mpg and has only managed approx 31 mpg over 10k miles and thats mixed driving. I dont so lots of miles but it often struggles to get 300 miles to a full tank....thats pretty poor in my book.

I think my argument is really that diesels compromise only some of the performance of the petrol for considerably greater efficiency. In alot of ways they are more advanced too, all VAG have really achieved with the TSi is a smoother engine with less lag but its not really any more efficient than thw TFSi or even a more powerful 1.8T.

As I said I would love another TSi but its poor efficiency has really cheesed me off. I bet there are a few people who have bought TSi's thinking "it wont be too bad" and have got shot for a TDi once theyve come to realise how often it needs filling up.

Surely though aren't the running costs far higher than for the diesel?

No, surprisingly not. I did the comparisons with what was available, and this was marginally more expensive, a cost I am happy to pay. I've owned many diesels in the last 15 years or so, and none were what I call fun, certainly never grin inducing. Sensible, cost effective, sure but to me anodyne and soulless. Don't want to get into a petrol vs diesel debate, but diesel is simply not for me, and will always be a compromise. If you can find a SKUK approved 7 month old CR VRS wagon with 1700 miles on the clock for fifteen and a half grand then I'll eat my hat, but I still wouldn't buy it! :) If I had to buy the cheapest car I could find, then maybe, but I am lucky in that I have some choice.

In addition, I doubt anything burning derv including a 330d is as much fun as a remapped petrol turbo.

• Like 1