Option for a mains 3 pin plug socket in the rear!

Just read the latest edition of What Car? magazine with a review of the MkIII and it shows a socket under the rear compartment airvents for a UK three pin plug. Neat!

Heated rear seat buttons in the picture too, like on the MkII L&K.

I think 5 or more years ago a 3 pin socket might have been more useful, but now with the majority of electrical gadgetry having USB for charging, is it really a useful feature? I'd rather have USB sockets dotted around the car in convenient locations. I installed a USB socket in the top dashboard box on my Octavia 2, should've been one there as standard imo.

Handy for laptops and the like that need more power to charge with every iteration. 180w charger for my current one.

^^ What he said. :) Very useful to be have a proper 240v socket imo - especially if you go camping or on long euro jaunts. :)

Yeah, I guess for laptops it will be useful. Although I regularly carry a number of laptops around with me I've never needed to charge them in the car, obviously for some it's very important.

Would be useful in some instances I guess - i've seen the USB converters for 12v sockets not sure whether they are any good or not?

Is anyone thinking "Mini fridge" in the back :rofl:

post-18764-0-42714300-1358171484_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Would be useful in some instances I guess - i've seen the USB converters for 12v sockets not sure whether they are any good or not?

You mean a simple 12V to USB adapter? They are perfectly fine for powering anything that uses USB power. 12V cell phone chargers have been around for 20 years at least and USB ones really aren't any different. :)

Retrofitting a 230V jack to your car isn't really complicated, all you need is a power inverter. You just need a sturdy 12V source, ideally directly from the battery using fat cables since you need lots of amps on the 12V side when you convert it to 230V. Defa and Calix (scandinavian manufacturers of electric pre-heating equipment) makes 230V sockets and cables that are safe for use in a vehicle.... and just as I'm typing this, I realize your sockets are different. I guess you can solve that part with a travel adapter.