Should my timing belt need changed

Joe41

I have just bought a fabia vrs tdi 54 plate with fsh genuine 82000 mles on the clock the timing belt was done early at 40000 miles at a skoda dealer now they have said the interval is 4 years or 70000 miles is this right.How much have yous paid to get this done?the cheapest i can get it done is £122 for gates belt kit and water pump and £114 for labour at a respected garage which is £236

Edited by Joe41

Hi & +1. From what I've read that's relatively cheap for a vRS. Last year I got my Felly done (belt/pump) for £190 but it's more straightforward than a vRS. If it all checks out I'd go with that ;)

gates belt kits are what all manufactures use anyway so its genuine i thought as much about the 4 years 60000 miles the garage said it would cost £292 but then i asked him the labour charge without him supplying the parts just the labour and he said £114 and my accessorie shop is is supplying gates timing belt kit and the water pump for £122 so job done

I have just bought a fabia vrs tdi 54 plate with fsh genuine 82000 mles on the clock the timing belt was done early at 40000 miles at a skoda dealer now they have said the interval is 4 years or 70000 miles is this right.

Pretty close - I currently reckon Skoda guidance is 4 years/75k miles though some still stick with 4 years/60k miles. Hence the replacement at 40k miles was NOT done early but probably in late 2008/early 2009 on schedule and it's now due again on the 4 year interval limit.

Unit 18 did a superb price on both parts and labour for me.

As I have been running for about 40k since done I can also vouch that it must be good too.

Probably gone up a bit since I had that done, will be a few years ago lol, but still probably cracking price, I know they obviously distance wise aren't practical though unless you have any reason to go that way