Snow Has Arrived...

Tristar 1011

'63 - as a six year old living in central London, playing on the main roads and building snowmen on the same as there was no traffic to be seen for several days :think:

Just saw a documentary on within Winterwatch about 63 fascinating.

This is what its looking like in central London tonight on the back streets, so I glad I have the winter footwear on the Yeti.

Tomorrow will be interesting!

post-76098-0-73119700-1358708891_thumb.jpg

Edited by My MINI me and me

What?

6 grandads? :giggle:

How many mothers-in-law does that make?

Ah, mothers-in-law. I've seen off 4 of them (so far). :rock:

• Like 3

We were having a play today too.

It snowed all day Friday, thawed slightly Saturday then snowed all day yesterday.

It left us with about 8 inches.

We've driven up and down some quite steep hills with not a sign of wheel slip.

Done a couple of rescue mission too.

A local girl dislocated her knee sledging and the ambo couldn't get anywhere near so we ferried them up the hill.

They managed to get her to the ambo on a sledge.

On the way back home we came across a car sideways across a steep hill.

The lady was quite distressed but we managed to get the car to a safe place then took her the 3 miles home.

All in all a good day and we had no concerns about not being able to go anywhere.

Winter tyres rock :)

• Like 1

We were having a play today too.

It snowed all day Friday, thawed slightly Saturday then snowed all day yesterday.

It left us with about 8 inches.

We've driven up and down some quite steep hills with not a sign of wheel slip.

Done a couple of rescue mission too.

A local girl dislocated her knee sledging and the ambo couldn't get anywhere near so we ferried them up the hill.

They managed to get her to the ambo on a sledge.

On the way back home we came across a car sideways across a steep hill.

The lady was quite distressed but we managed to get the car to a safe place then took her the 3 miles home.

All in all a good day and we had no concerns about not being able to go anywhere.

Winter tyres rock :)

Good on ya! :)

4 Seasons tyres rock too. Had a few raised eyebrows from more expensive 4x4 drivers as I trundled down lanes they were tackling, without a problem. One Lexus SUV I got stuck behind must have had slicks fitted it was so poor.

Took my brother and his gf back from the local pub in the sticks when his taxi failed to show. He was still raving about how good the car was through the snow (took it down some deep snow covered lanes), when he got out at his next pub of choice.

Had a play today first time ever in half decent snow. Mixed feelings. Winter tyres on so went out on to undulating traffic free snow covered country roads. While driving along normally with reasonable caution for snowy conditions I was very impressed indeed almost disappointed as it was as if no snow. Then I started to play. The road was undulating with some quite steep bits. So I halted on several steep sections to see how I got on. Mostly perfectly ok. However on one section I got stuck. Not brilliantly steep but all wheels spinning, zero traction and rear end swinging round on to verge. I eventually gave up and prepared to reverse back down to get a run at it. This decision made up for me as with brakes on,Yeti was already reversing back down with all 4 wheels locked. No further problem as i ascended from bottom but the car is not infallible

Had a play today first time ever in half decent snow. Mixed feelings. Winter tyres on so went out on to undulating traffic free snow covered country roads. While driving along normally with reasonable caution for snowy conditions I was very impressed indeed almost disappointed as it was as if no snow. Then I started to play. The road was undulating with some quite steep bits. So I halted on several steep sections to see how I got on. Mostly perfectly ok. However on one section I got stuck. Not brilliantly steep but all wheels spinning, zero traction and rear end swinging round on to verge. I eventually gave up and prepared to reverse back down to get a run at it. This decision made up for me as with brakes on,Yeti was already reversing back down with all 4 wheels locked. No further problem as i ascended from bottom but the car is not infallible

Which tyres are fitted out of interest?

Just got home having spent half an hour held up at the top of Duncton Hill (on the A285 between Chichester and Petworth) whilst "heavy" snow fell! Presume the road was closed for a while to allow the gritters to do their bit. Anyway, once things started moving again I had the opportunity to try out the hill descent thingy for the first time and what a cracking bit of kit that is; really impressed at being able to descend at a controlled speed (in neutral) over snow and ice past many abandoned cars at the top and further down the hill :rock:

At last!! THe snow has started falling properly here

shot this morning despite the dodgy date stamp on the video

I hope that fork lift didn't pull out on you.

We've got snow coming down now and it's forecast heavy snow, going into the early hours. Unfortunately I won't get to take the Yeti out in it as I have to take SWMBO's i10 over to York for an MOT & service first thing :( At least that's running on all season tyres, but it won't be the same...

Well, it might not be the same but the i10 was fun. The Goodyear Vector 4Seasons in a 165 profile with a 1.2 auto sat over them grips very well indeed. The snow's 5-6" around here but looks like it's already started to thaw.

Measured the snow here on the road out front at 9cm this morning. Could tell the snow was reasonably deep, as I could feel it's resistance against the tyres backing out to undertake the ritual Saturday morning shop. No wheel spin slip of refusal to move mind being correctly shod and aided by Haldex ;)

As usual round Driffield, were pretty much forgotten about by the council gritting/ploughing teams, so passed one or two of Germany's finest floundering/beached on the wrong shoes, with their owners looking disgruntled, along with wheel spinning fwd struggling to move off or stop and me just driving as it was a summers day :giggle: which it could be as the :sun: is glorious this morning.

TP

• Like 1

Measured the snow here on the road out front at 9cm this morning. Could tell the snow was reasonably deep, as I could feel it's resistance against the tyres backing out to undertake the ritual Saturday morning shop. No wheel spin slip of refusal to move mind being correctly shod and aided by Haldex ;)

As usual round Driffield, were pretty much forgotten about by the council gritting/ploughing teams, so passed one or two of Germany's finest floundering/beached on the wrong shoes, with their owners looking disgruntled, along with wheel spinning fwd struggling to move off or stop and me just driving as it was a summers day :giggle: which it could be as the :sun: is glorious this morning.

TP

Yeah I'd say its about the same where i am in leeds, what winter tyres you got on tp?

We woke up to the big yellow UFO this morning, too.

Black ice on the road outside as it was raining most of the night.

Won't be long before it's gone though.

It rained at home last night, so at 0500ish this morning the main road to Newtown was fairly clear, but heading towards Churchstoke I drove into a lot more snow. The trouble was they had also had a thaw earlier, so the road was covered in puddles and at one point flooded about 6" deep for about 20yds, but hidden under a layer of slush. Here at Ludlow racecourse it snowed early last evening, this then started to thaw and then froze hard. Even now, with a lovely sun in the sky the road on the crossing is like a piece of glass! And you can't salt the approaches to level crossings!!

Yeah I'd say its about the same where i am in leeds, what winter tyres you got on tp?

Hankook W310 215/60 R16's

Originally bought them due to their low price at the time with Camskill, rather than experience of the brand but I've been been very happy with them to date.

TP

Hankook W310 215/60 R16's

Originally bought them due to their low price at the time with Camskill, rather than experience of the brand but I've been been very happy with them to date.

TP

My plan is to buy some in the summer in hope that they will be a little cheaper.

Thanks

Same as you Graham, we have just got back from Llani'. We had 3-4" of snow, then rain, which then froze and just started to melt again this morning. There was a crust of semi- frozen snow/slush. covering the whole road. Not only did I have to clear the gate way to get out, two very large tree branches were snapped off in the strong winds (touched 40mph on my weather station). It was because they were laden with lots of snow. Going down the hill was exciting, but controllable. Coming back up was very exciting (frightening). With the 4x4 drive working and off road button pressed, it felt as though you were floating over the surface, never quite in control... With my wife shouting at me that we were all going to die - there is a 200' drop if you get it really wrong! I just wanted to keep going and not loose momentum for the last half mile up the hill (1400'). We made it with the TCS light flashing all the way up. I think the Off Road light (not the switch light) goes out above 30km/h, but I was concentrating on the outside!

Observations: This was the first real test of the Yeti - with winter tyres (Goodyear Altra Grip 205/60 R16) and the 4x4. The floating experience reminded of my military days of driving Land Rovers in the African desert (sorry to bring the war up). On the shifting sands it was much better to drive in 2x4 drive than in 4x4 mode, as it was easier to control. I don't think I would have made it with the 225/50 R17 summer tyres or with out the 4x4. You can't feel it engage (I know it is always doing something), but it did give that extra 'omph' to keep us going!

Oh well back home now - out with the snow shovel...

Peter