heated washer nozzles problem?

how good are the heated washer nozzles supposed to be? started her up this morning,let her tick over for 10/15 mins,drove 10 miles to work,they were still not working.they should be quicker than that shouldnt they?the heated screen in is almost instant,would have thought nozzles would be the same.anybody out there have the heated nozzle option?im starting to think that this £50 option would have bin better spent down the pub.................

what temp was it do you think? don't have them but sounds like it should be quicker unless the frost was very deep into the nozzles.

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook with Tapatalk

It’s more than likely the fluid has frozen in the bottle or pipes, I would imagine the nozzles would be defrosted before the screen was.

I have them on mine and they have not frozen (yet) but then I am running washer fluid to around -36º, I also try not to use them unless really necessary as there is more chance of the headlight washers freezing whilst they are ‘popped out’

It shouldn’t as it’s a Škoda recommended strength.

As i say I am quite light on them anyway due to the driving I do I rarely need to use them, I have probably used less than 4ltrs in 28K miles / 2 years.

I've not had any problems with mine yet, but I keep the fluid strength up. If you don't the pipes freeze. So you might ask why do you need the heated jets if you use a high concentration? Trouble is the fluid in the jets, the antifreeze bit evaporates, so you end up with much lower concentration in the jets themselves, and then they freeze.

thanks chaps.im thinking they could be faulty,surely the heat off the engine would defrost the bottle/pipes after running for 30 mins.may try better fluid,wouldnt care car had 1st service last friday before this cold snap.the car has also got a battery drain problem at the moment,derick slacks have had it back twice now with flat battrery,all they do is recharge it "cars fine now"and give it back.give it a fortnight and its flat again.dont expect a phone call back from their service department neither DISSAPOINTING to say the least.

no nothing left on, checked and double checked.regarding both the battery and nozzles unfortunately car had front end bump in november.im thinking that things have not bin but back right.but if you think about it silver 1o11 is right i should have donoted my £50 to mr john smiths............

• Like 1

Heating the nozzles is pointless if you don't also heat the pipes that feed them!

Heated nozzles are a complete waste of money. It is not the jets that freeze but the under strength washer fluid. Sometimes you will find that fluid from heated jets will freeze on the windscreen faster through heated jets, if weak fluid strength is used the heated jets will reduce the antifreeze quality.

If everyone used the correct strength of washer fluid allowing for the cold air on the headlamp washer units they would have no problems.

Many years ago I made up a hot washer system by having a long coiled copper pipe around the top water hose even in temperatures way under freezing the system never froze.

It’s more than likely the fluid has frozen in the bottle or pipes, I would imagine the nozzles would be defrosted before the screen was.

I have them on mine and they have not frozen (yet) but then I am running washer fluid to around -36º, I also try not to use them unless really necessary as there is more chance of the headlight washers freezing whilst they are ‘popped out’

Hi. May I ask which fluid you use? I was plagued by freezing jets and fluid freezing on the screen in a previous car. My Superb has the heated jets and still on its original washer fluid fluid from new. All is fine so far, but I wonder how it will perform if we get colder. Do you know what temps the Skoda supplied fluid is good for?

Use the Skoda (VAG Group) fluid, and if it really cold, use it neat! never a problem with outside air temps down to -20C in Scotland on a trip a couple of years ago. Expensive, but good.

• Like 1

I use VAG Windscreen Clear, G 052 164 M2, 1;4 Summer, 1:2 -16C, 1:1 -35C, 2:1 -40, Neat -70C. excellent screen cleaner all year round 1:1 should cover UK winters.

Look around the web and you will find many offers this year bought 5X1Ltr's for price of 3 at dealer.

So the screenwash instead evaporates from the non-heated section of tube immediately before the heated washer jet and the end result is the same.

Any part of the system that doesn't benefit from warmth generated by the engine needs heating too, not just the nozzles.

Please re-read my post. I explain exactly why heated jets aren't pointless.

I have driven all makes of vehicles down to -20c air temp at times, so with wind chill much lower, over 45 years, never had a frozen washer system as washer fluid always for the weather conditions. Antifreeze property can evaporate with warm temperatures not cold. Heated washer jets will evaporate more of the antifreeze which has more chance of freezing on the windscreen I don't know how old you are but I can assure you that heated washer jets were only available on some of the very top range vehicles and the same on the continent, windscreen washer sytems were not even standard fitting,strange how continental vehicles and USA and Canada of which I had driving experiencecould also be free from freezing up by just using correct strength of fluid.

Before posting information get your facts right, too many people on this forum often give false information usually through ignorance and often strictly illegal information and recomendations.

The standard of posts has now become so poor that this is the last post I shall make on this forum, there are a very few who know what they are talkig about

Hi. May I ask which fluid you use? I was plagued by freezing jets and fluid freezing on the screen in a previous car. My Superb has the heated jets and still on its original washer fluid fluid from new. All is fine so far, but I wonder how it will perform if we get colder. Do you know what temps the Skoda supplied fluid is good for?

Don't know about the VAG stuff. I use the German stuff that LIDL get in each autumn. £5.99 for 5 litres, and use 1 part screenwash to 2 parts water - have not had a problem - but we haven't been below -5.

Saw the same screenwash on sale in a Carrefour supermarket in Romania in October, so if it's good enough for their winters, it should be fine for ours!

No, the bit of fluid just before the nozzles isn't open to the air in the same way as that in the jet, and the remaining water in the jet protects it. So it doesn't evaporate. Neither does the stuff in the bottle tucked under the wing in the worst place possible for cold. A decent solution protects these.

Or I suppose there is some other explanation why even when I used very concentrated solutions in the past they used to freeze but now I have heated jets I don't ever see the problem.

I use VAG Windscreen Clear, G 052 164 M2, 1;4 Summer, 1:2 -16C, 1:1 -35C, 2:1 -40, Neat -70C. excellent screen cleaner all year round 1:1 should cover UK winters.

Been very impressed with this. Been using it neat the last week and not a hint of it freezing even at -8c.

I thought it was going to be like all the other so called cold weather fluids, (Which freeze as soon as they hit the screen) but this one really seems to do the business.

Whilst working for a well known TV News organisation in Warsaw, mid winter in 1979, our hire car screen wash was undiluted vodka. At £1.00 a bottle, it was cheaper than the real thing, and more readily obtainable. Great effect when the fluid hit the hot bonnet. Cleared your nose as well as the windscreen!

• Like 1

I have driven all makes of vehicles down to -20c air temp at times, so with wind chill much lower, over 45 years, never had a frozen washer system as washer fluid always for the weather conditions. Antifreeze property can evaporate with warm temperatures not cold. Heated washer jets will evaporate more of the antifreeze which has more chance of freezing on the windscreen I don't know how old you are but I can assure you that heated washer jets were only available on some of the very top range vehicles and the same on the continent, windscreen washer sytems were not even standard fitting,strange how continental vehicles and USA and Canada of which I had driving experiencecould also be free from freezing up by just using correct strength of fluid.

Before posting information get your facts right, too many people on this forum often give false information usually through ignorance and often strictly illegal information and recomendations.

The standard of posts has now become so poor that this is the last post I shall make on this forum, there are a very few who know what they are talkig about

I'm not going to enter into a competion about who's got what experience. I will just stand 100% by what I have said based on mine, in spite of your rant.

• Like 2

I'm not going to enter into a competion about who's got what experience. I will just stand 100% by what I have said based on mine, in spite of your rant.

well said :clap: :clap: lowedb.was thier any need. i think standards are pretty high myself wouldnt spend my £50 if mr spectrum was at the bar lol. i have enough of people like that at bloody work..............